Marietta #2 vs Chillicothe #1 (Round 3)

soccernut
Freshman Team

Marietta #2 vs Chillicothe #1 (Round 3)

Post by soccernut »

Marietta won at home and Chilli won at home.

Should be a really good game on a neutral field. I would be hard pressed to pick a winner.

I will guess OT going to PK's.

pcohio
Varsity

Re: Marietta #2 vs Chillicothe #1 (Round 3)

Post by pcohio »

I have now seen both teams play and I would have to go with the Cavs in this one...Chillicothe is playing great soccer and should easily beat Marietta...
Chillicothe 4
Marietta 1

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Will Gray get to play in the game after getting two cards in the Waverly game? If he was my son I would bench him for what he said to the ref.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I believe a "soft" red (two yellows) results in a player just being removed from the current match and does not involve further penalties in future matches...

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

Yes, Kyle Gray will be able to play in the game.

Just wondering why you think they will beat us so easily. They have scored two goals from the field in two games. The other was a penalty kick.

I think Marietta will suprise you, they may not win but I don't think they will be beat that bad. They haven't lost by more the two goals except for the the highland game and they were ranked 7th in the state.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

I expect another tight game. I don't see either team winning easily. I wouldn't expect anything less from a Chillicothe / Marietta match-up. I don't think it will go PK's, but I could see an overtime game.

Both semi-final match-ups should be entertaining. Any of the 4 teams could win the district.

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

should be a great game. as soccernut said chilli has only scored two from the field in the previous game which is exactly what marietta has done so it should be close. i know marietta is still excited after their comeback win over waverly and is looking for redemption after their last loss to chilli

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I just feel at a neutral site that Chillicothe has an edge...Waverly managed 5 goals against Marietta (with two being called back) at Marietta! If they play with the same defensive effort against the Cavs, Chillicothe will easily put in four!
Skowronek and Basil are playing great soccer and their team has really stepped up recently...I think Marietta is a young team (how many sophmores did they start against Waverly??) and they have a great future ahead of them, but I feel the time is now for Chillicothe!

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

obviously those two goals that were called back were not legitimate goals or else they would not have been called back. so you cannot really fault mariettas defense for those goals. also this is a neutral sight but chilli still has the advantage of a much shorter bus ride being closer to chillicothe they will also most likely have many more fans at the game than marietta will

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

You are right! Chillicothe will feel like the home side at this match...

Overall in the Marietta-Waverly match, the refs were horrible...I am NOT saying they cost Waverly the match, but there were some bogus calls against both sides! At least one of the two goals called back were not even close to offside. The referee on the fan's side of the field did not call one offside in the first half (against Marietta) and then raised his flag EVERY time Waverly scored in the second half...The center ref had to come over and tell him he was incorrect on his offsides call for Waverly's third goal (By the way, his flag went up AFTER Waverly began their goal celebration...awfully late call??)

Anyway, the point was that if Waverly can put in that many against Marietta, Chillicothe can easily score that many or more!

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

i was not able to be at the waverly game which i was very disappointed about because the first game i miss in a long time is possibly one of the best this year. but if the ref that i have heard was the one doing the game then he has a reputation of making bad calls so what you said does not surprise me at all. i will just say that this has the potential to be a very close and exciting game. hopefully marietta will come out on top but we will see tomorrow night.

brutally honest
Varsity

Post by brutally honest »

Marietta 3
Chillicothe 1

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Concerning the ref that called offsides on three Waverly goals, I watched him run up the field 5 yards look down the line for the position of the players then called offsides. Mind you that this probably took 5 seconds and the celebration had started. At least the center ref had enough integrity to overturn his call. I just wish he would have asked for help on his decision on the last goal.

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

Maybe the ref should have called a handball on Waverly when the goalie was out and a field player kept the ball from going in the goal with his arm, which by the way is a red card. Both sides can come up with examples of things that may or may not have been called wrong.

As far the offsides if you are not exactly even with the last defender you can't be sure if someone is off or not. I ref high school soccer and a lot of the fans don't know what they are talking about when they say that someone was "on side" or "off side". They are usually watching the ball and not the last defender, and they are not in line with the last defender. So unless you are going to run up and down the side line I would leave the off side calls to the refs.

The first half was the worst half I have seen for the Marietta defense all year. They tightened up the second half and started playing soccer. Hopefully they will come out like that against Chilli and make it a good game.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I think I have a pretty good understanding of offsides as I too am a certified referee...Did I have the best angle on the offides calls? No, but even at the angle I was at it was clearly NOT offside!

Let me be clear, reffing HS soccer is a very hard job and I agree most of the time the fans are uneducated on the rules and yell about things that they have no understanding of...Unfortunatley, with the shortage of referees in Southern Ohio (we had a match postponed this season because they couldn't find refs), you get stuck with whoever is crazy enough to take the job! This should not occur in a playoff match...too many strange referee whistles (the last Marietta goal??) for a Sectional Match!

As far as the handling in the box, I did not see it and if it did occur then the player should have been booked! What are your feelings on the dangerous play call against Waverly's #6 in the second half? Two Marietta players fell and laid on the ball in the penalty area and the ref called a dangerous play against Waverly???

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

Watch out for Derek Johnson....

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

GO CAVS :!: :-D

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

pcohio wrote:What are your feelings on the dangerous play call against Waverly's #6 in the second half? Two Marietta players fell and laid on the ball in the penalty area and the ref called a dangerous play against Waverly???

I was confused on the call. Actually I couldn't see it that well. If the Waverly player was trying to kick the ball while the Marietta player was on the ground I could see it. On the other hand if the Marietta player was trying to kick it while on the ground and there were people around I could see it being called on Marietta.

That was some of the most bizzare calls I have seen, both ways, in that game. Its a shame to ruin what could have been a very good game that was decided on the field instead of goals both ways being questioned.

cavalierfan95
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan95 »

chillicothe 3
marietta 1

good luck to all schools tonight

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

going to be a cold game with temps in the mid to low 40's don't know how this could affect players especially those coming off the bench

Return to “Soccer”