Waverly High School Soccer

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Re: Waverly High School Soccer

Post by Tigereyez »

danicalifornia wrote:Because they play in a division lower? Minford may have reached the District Semi's in D2, but not any further.

What do you thing about Minford playing this weekend in the regionals? They are very aggressive, quick to the ball every time, play very hard nose ball and can stop the momentum of any great team. Congratulations to Minford coach and players for moving forward. This makes any team who played against them look better. Good Luck Minford Falcons!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I think it's a great thing with Minford in the regionals this weekend and has a great chance to represent the SE District.

I wouldn't say that they can stop the momentum of any great team, because Worthington will be the 1st great team they will have played. They've played some very good teams(Burg, Waverly) but WC is in a different class.

I do believe though, that if it was still only two divisions, WC would have reached the regionals, while Minford probably would've lost before, but they are a very good division 3 school and have made a run that should make their entire school(and the district) proud. If they can pull off the upset today, they'll join only 2 other schools to make it to the final four.

GoCats
Riding the Bench

Post by GoCats »

Bill Hale at waverly. Wow.
He coached college soccer, thats not SOC soccer, the boys at that level play hard and physical. Not suprized in red cards getting handed out like its christmas in games around here.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly has never done well against physical teams. I never understood why they weren't taught to play more physical. You may win a weak SOC title but once you get in the tournament you're done. If the teams Waverly has had the past few years would have played more physical you would have seen a few District titles and maybe more. The talent has been there folks. 4 SOC titles is 10 years makes you a powerhouse?

the cynical optimist
Waterboy

Post by the cynical optimist »

tigers2010,

From my observations, all teams in this area are at a disadvantage when it comes to playing physically in the tournaments.

The officials in our area do not allow the athletes to play very physically.

Whereas, teams up north are allowed to play a more physical style and it shows when teams from our area play these teams.

three
Waterboy

Post by three »

I think Bill would be a great fit at Waverly, he has done well everywhere he has coached at the high school level and done a pretty good job at SSU as well.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Why would we bring someone outside of the program in. We have Brian who coached Junior High, and took that team to a much better record than anyone anticipated. He is familiar with the system, knows all of the players and parents, is well respected and is extremly knowledgable. He is the perfect hire in my opinion.

three
Waterboy

Post by three »

you would bring someone new in to take the team and program to the next level

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Brian is the guy to take the program to the next level. You are talking about a very accomplished program that just needs a few tweaks, and an attitude adjustment. Much of that will come with addition by subtraction with some of the seniors graduating.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Maybe, but the addition by subtraction logic has been used over the last five years and has never seemed to pan out. The players have to understand that they are playing for something bigger than themselves. One player can bring a team's moral down. They have to come together and be able to deal with the situation, coach, parents, or whatever. Players might not also like or agree with what is going on but they have to be able to play and not complain. Over the last few years there have been some great role models for the younger players and they must look at them and take pride in representing the name on their jersey.

three
Waterboy

Post by three »

I don't know Brian so I am not gone to comment if he is the person for this job. I do know Bill Hale and what he has done for soccer in southern Ohio and KY. He started the program at Minford in 1983 bringing HS soccer to scioto county, in his first year they went 6-6, his second year they were 15-2, with a district championship, he went on and coached a very good Ashland, KY team that was state ranked, he then started soccer at Boyd County, KY, before moving on to South Webster where he was also successful. But the biggest asset I believe would have to be his college experience. He knows how to develop players to compete at the next level. If you can develop the HS players on your team to be college caliber players mentally and physically then you will have a successful HS program that goes beyond winning SOC titles. I can think of several players he has coached that have had good college careers, but off the top of my head I can not think of anyone from waverly that has went on to play 4 years of college soccer. I am not saying that waverly has not had anyone that could have, Purpero was phenomenal, Hobbs played a year at SSU, but other than those 2 I don't know of anyone else.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Waverly has had quite a few players go play a year or two in college and then decide to pursue other interests. However a few of their great players just decided to concentrate on their education at elite institutions rather than play college soccer.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I doubt that South Webster would hire him again.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

I think Joey Hobbs, varsity soccer assistant coach, would make a great varsity coach. He played at Waverly as a goal keeper and did an excellent job. Maybe he can give more insight for the defense. He seems to be much like his father, who is one of our best coaches in our system. His father has coached in many sports for his career in the Waverly school system and still is. They could work together because his father is the cross country coach and the two sports overlap each other. Some of our soccer players run cross country. Joey is young, the kids love him, they can relate to him, he has experience playing soccer and almost finished with his teaching degree.

B1OHIO
Riding the Bench

Post by B1OHIO »

How about this for an idea..... Joey and Brian coach varsity and Bill Hale take over the junior high program. sounds good to me!!!
Only problem is I haven't heard if any of these fellas are realy interested. Does anyone know for sure or are we all just speculating?

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

I asked Bill and he said he was interested, but if one of the younger guys was interested in the position he would rather see them have their chance at coaching.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I agree that Joey Hobbs would make a phenomenal coach, however he has told me that he is not interested even in an assistant position. He might change his mind but that is his position right now. It is however a long time until soccer season and even Coach Murphy might change his mind.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Has anyone actually applied yet?

I know of someone interested if one of the named isn't, if that makes sense.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I have heard that Brian will definnitely be applying. Dont know if he has done that yet.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It has not been posted yet, to my knowledge.

Return to “Soccer”