2013 Boy's Scores

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: 2013 Boy's Scores

Post by 4thgoal »

What is the best tournament run ever made by a southeast district team? I know Wheelersburg has 6 district titles, but only made it to the regional final game once and lost. Looking on OHSAA, I saw that Unioto made it to the final 4 in 2004.

The bottom line is that teams in our area (for the most part) are way behind the rest of the state, especially the big cities. Club soccer is still foreign to most kids in our area, although FCFC is doing some good things. Futsal is gaining popularity in the area as well, but still too many kids put the soccer ball down in October and don't pick one up again until the following summer. I personally began playing back in the 1970s when the Portsmouth YMCA league began. I remember having fall and spring leagues as a child, but the spring league became a thing of the past.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto went to the Final Four in 04 and the Regional Finals in 02
Valley went to the Final Four in 98
Athens made it to the Regional Finals in 02
Alexander made a couple of Regional Finals in the early 90s
Zane Trace reached the Regional Finals in 05
Minford and South Webster have also made it to the Regional Finals in recent years

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

It's an uphill battle...
Chillicothe has 3/4 of its players playing club soccer... Some at a very high level. The Southeast District teams is somewhat constrained by geography, and thus economics. The fact is that most Southeast District teams play in leagues that schedule home-and-home for convenience us it saves $$$
Take Chillicothe that played D1 this year... Next year in the SCOL they will have 6 league opponents in a home-and-home situation. That's 12 of 16 games already done...with only 4 non-conference games left to "bolster" your schedule. Hilliard Darby on the other hand is in the OCC and their conference plays each divisional opponent just once which allows them more flexibility in their non-conference scheduling. That's a big difference.

Athletic Directors and schools in the southeast like to keep it simple and look at "ease of scheduling" and the bottom line ($$) more than they look at what's best for giving their teams the best opportunity to advance beyond the districts in post-season play. That's the way I see It...

Southeast District schools are more constrained by economics and geography than most other regions in the state. More travel = more money; and extra scheduling is difficult and requires more time and effort. It's easier to just play home-and-homes with league opponents. Saves time, saves money, but hurts us come tournament time in relation to other regions, especially the central district. (Our closest urban area)

Return to “Soccer”