S

Chillicothe Boys Team 2008?

Post by Army »

:?: :?: :?: :?:

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Late night posting I see, LOL.

There should be a dropoff this upcoming season. They lost an outstanding senior class, but their best player and best goal scorer were both sophomores. So, don't look for a big drop off for the Cavs this season.

CHS Sports
Freshman Team

Post by CHS Sports »

id be looking for them to still be competing for the league and districts- but lucasville does some strange things to cavalier teams

PurplePeopleEater
Waterboy

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

I look for Chilli and Marietta to be competing for the league championship and depending on the improvement Logans team makes during the offseason it could be a three way race.

Army
S

Post by Army »

PurplePeopleEater wrote:I look for Chilli and Marietta to be competing for the league championship and depending on the improvement Logans team makes during the offseason it could be a three way race.

PurplePeopleEater,

I would have to agree with you, but what about Vincent Warren Local in that factor :?:

brutally honest
Varsity

Post by brutally honest »

Warren lost a lot and probably more than any other team in the league. But the way I see the league turning out it will be Marietta followed by Logan then Chilli but that's just my opinion.
Last edited by brutally honest on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Landstuhl78
Waterboy

Post by Landstuhl78 »

yeah I have to agree with Brutally honest. Warren had four good players and they are all gone. So that equals no team for them. That and they were overrated. Lost a lot of games towards the end. Logan should have beat them. Chilli lead by Basil. Marietta's young core, and Logans young core will be playing for league title next year.

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

Marietta had 19 lettermen and 14 are coming back. The only problem they will have is one was the goalie and three were defensemen.

goldentoe
Waterboy

Post by goldentoe »

Warren will be a contender. Coach Eksi will have the team in the hunt for league and district again. They return more than most think and have a good freshman group coming in. Warren, Marietta, and Chilli will be in the hunt for the league title.

brutally honest
Varsity

good news for chilli fans if goldentoe is correct- marietta and warren are in the division you dont play in

Army
S

Post by Army »

:-D :-D :-D

Bucknuts
JV Team

Re: Chillicothe Boys Team 2008?

Post by Bucknuts »

Chillicothe will be very young in 2008. They loose 7 senior starters including 3 of 4 starting defenders and their starting GK. I believe Chillicothe and Warren lost the most from last year.

The good news is that two very dominant players return, First Team All-Southeast District performers Drew Basil and Tony Skowronek. Both will only be juniors next year. The two accounted for almost 40 goals and 35 assists. Basil was 3rd Team All-State.

There is some very good young talent within the program. There will be a noticable drop off in size and experience, but not much of a drop off in skill level. 23 soccer players in the weight room in February should give everyone an indication of the interest this team has in having a good season. It is a dedicated group of young men.

The schedule sets up fairly well for Chillicothe with the first 6 of 8 games at home and not seeing Marietta until 9 games into the season. Remember, the Day of Champions for the league moves to Chillicothe's side this year.

Chillicothe was playing some of its best soccer late in the season last year when they made a trip to Warren and won the league title. The 11 day layoff that followed prior to tournaments may have hurt a little. This year a game was scheduled after the Day of Champions, prior to tournaments. Hopefully that will help keep the rust off. The game is at Bishop Watterson.

Chillicothe is a team that is likely to improve greatly as the year goes. If Basil and Skowronek can carry the team early as the young talent develops they should be a very tough out come tournament time.

I look for Chillicothe and Marietta to be the leaders to contend for the league title.

brutally honest
Varsity

What? Chillicothe will play Bishop Watterson this year? That's a tall order, especially for one around this part of the state. So how are they supposed to compete if they lost their entire defense but one and their goalkeeper? I guess Basil and Skowronek are that good. Well good luck to Chilli in their season and especially against Watterson.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

Brutally Honest,

Chillicothe has always played a solid schedule in the past. Last year's schedule was the weakest it has been in a while, no disrespect intended toward the current league. The 11 league games limits the amount of non-conference games a team can play. Since many of the league games are such long drives (Zanesville, Marietta, Warren, etc..) Chillicothe has tried to keep more non-confernce games closer to home. (Unioto, Waverly, Circleville, Teays Valley) Unfortunatly by doing that you lose the chance to play some of the big boys. Chilly has always had a St. Charles, Dublin Scioto, Grove City, and an Olentangy to go along with it's southeastern opponents, and competed very well. Watterson is the kind of team that may show up around regional play in DII. Should be a great test for a young team. I believe they come to Chillicothe the following year.

Basil and Skowronek are that good, but its important to remember what was said about developing the young talent around them. They will have a good supporting cast. No two players can carry a team, but ... look at what Tyler Bryant of Unioto and Luke Purpero of Waverly did for their respective squads in recent years.

Not big on predictions but I will say that this is a team that will surprise many in 2008 with their level of play. The last 3 squads that have lost in the district were all led by strong seniors. Wouldn't be ironic if this year's squad finally got it done in the districts with the youngsters.

Oh, and looking down the road a little to the 2009 team..........scary.

brutally honest
Varsity

Well based off of what you have said, Basil and Skowronek will need to put the ball in the net a bunch becuase it sounds like CHS will have to take the ball out of their own net just as much. Don't take this as an insult to the program or anything but it just seems that way to me. I personally don't think they are better than a Marietta or Logan next year either, but you seem to have more knowledge on the program than I do. So what will be so special about the 2009 year? Do you have some middle school versions of your superstars that will be in high school then? Otherwise I don't think they would be any more scary than any other team in the league.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

No insult taken...defense may be young, or may not be so young. What's nice about the skill level of the current players is that they can excel at so many different positions. The coaching staff will have tremendous flexibility. Many of last year's players may see time at new positions. All players that see the field will have to prove themselves to be a solid defender first.

That being said, some very good young talent will be on the field. Two freshman defenders were playing much of the second half in the district last year vs. Marietta. Two freshmen and a sophomore saw defensive time in amost all of 19 games last year. Also, there are no guarantees that last year's offensive stars like Basil will stay on offensive. He has played Stopper and Sweeper in the past and excels at both. If the need arises...youu never know. A great team player.

If Skowronek stays on his current pace he will likely have a shot at the century mark in goals for his career. I would say he will get double-teamed quite a bit this year. He will have to get some help to keep some of the pressure off.

There may be some times next year that Chillicothe plays with no seniors on the field. This year's freshmen class has 3-4 players with the potential to be on the same level with Skowronek and Basil. They are that good, and they work hard.

Only time will tell. Talk to me again in about 6 months and I can give you a pretty good idea of how the defense is shaping up.

Don't know much about Logan's returning squad, but Coach Riddlebarger has done a great job with them the past couple of years. I have really been impressed with their improvement on the field. Last year's team possessed the ball about as well as I can remember as far as Logan squads go, no disrespect intended.

Marietta should be solid. In my mind they are the team everyone should be gunning for next season. At least on paper. They have the most returning. At least that's what I tell everyone. It's OK with me is Chillicothe is the darkhorse.

CHIEFSOCCER08
Riding the Bench

Post by CHIEFSOCCER08 »

Basil will be one of the best players southeast Ohio has seen in quite some time.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I love watching Basil and Skowronek play...They should have a fine season! Who are the 3-4 freshmen that can have an impact like these two that you referred too?

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

There were 10 players from both the freshmen and sophomore classes last year. There may another 2-3 that will be added to the group who were not in the program last year. The strength of next year's class will be in these middle grades.

Gabe Seymour and Paul Horning are two freshmen that started and played in almost all of the 19 games last year. Horning was a defender and Seymour played where needed. Seymour will be moved up front this year where he's more comfortable. He could see both center mid and forward play. Horning will undoubtedly be one of our defensive stars. Both of these players are tremendous young talents.

Another fine young player is Justin Ball. He will be a sophomore as well. He is making some noise on the tennis team right now, but he is a heck of a soccer player. He is technically solid, and really understands the game. He played both JV and Varsity last year. We graduate a three-year starter in James Buchanan but his younger brother Ben will be back this year as a sophomore. He has good size and good skill. He is another "heady" player. He has nice potential as well.

Tyler Semancik will be a junior on next year's team. He played both midfield and defense last year on the varsity squad in a sub role. He is currently playing select in Grove City and progressing very well. John Lods and Luke Wagner will be juniors and were both two-way (JV / V) players last year. Both are solid players. Kody Chandler was the starting GK for the JV last year, and got 4-5 varsity starts. He is starting for a select team in Dayton this spring. He has the inside track for the starting GK job to replace departing senior Zach Purdum.

All 4 of these future juniors will have to step up big this year to replace our departing seniors, but the potential is there.

Many other good young players in the program. Right now there's a great deal of optimism and potential. We will have to wait and see if this potential turns into success on the field.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

We still have room for some HS and Adult teams in our 3v3 Live Tournament this Saturday, May 24 at the Pike Co YMCA! Please contact me ASAP to get your team in...740-708-4576 or brian@3v3live.com

Return to “Soccer”