The Power Outage Edition of the Top 10, A New #1

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

The Power Outage Edition of the Top 10, A New #1

Post by danicalifornia »

A lot has happened since the 1st Top 10 of this season, which sparked a lot of conversation. Hopefully, this will do the same. Also, any help on records would be great, my regular website has been down.

Marietta ended last season at #1 and began this season at #1, but a tough loss at Logan will drop them down a bit.

Dropped Out: Unioto(10), Eastern Brown(8), Zane Trace(5)

The New Top 10

10. Warren(9)- I know of 2 results(loss to Etta and Chillicothe) Some help?
9. Wheelersburg(7)- A recent loss to Minford, but big game coming up with Waverly
8. Fairfield Union(UR)- Very solid defense and is holding up well in the very good MSL
7. Jackson(UR)- Very solid program, having a solid season. Usually winning less than 50% of the time hurts, but only 1 loss in 8 games eases that pain.
6. Minford(UR)- Two very good players and a solid supporting cast will make this another dangerous tourney team.
5. Marietta(1)- Just like Jackson, not many losses, but not many wins.
4. Athens(4)- Very impressive thus far, another difficult team to track.
3. Logan(3)- Another team that is kinda unknown. Looked good in the preseason and knocked off Marietta.
2. Chillicothe(6)- 1 loss so far, to an always tough Teays Valley team, that's the only reason they aren't #1. But, Saturday is their shot at the #1 spot.
1. Waverly(2)- This may be surprising, but a great offensive squad, but no losses or ties thus far. Epic battle vs. #2 Chillicothe on Saturday won't be quite as epic if they overlook #9 Wheelersburg on Tuesday.

Chillicothe @ Waverly on Saturday Night is the 1 game to watch for this week. There are other big games as well though. There will be an update either next Sunday or Monday, especially after I can gather more information. Thanks for the patience.

soccerfix
Varsity

Re: The Power Outage Edition of the Top 10, A New #1

Post by soccerfix »

WITH A HEALTHY TONY, CHLILLICOTHE WOULD STILL BE UNDEFEATED. CHILLICOTHE STILL SHOULD BE #1 BECAUSE OF STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE.
WE WILL FIND OUT SATUURDAY NIGHT.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

This is your capitalize opinion and probably true, but Waverly also has had a couple of key injuries, so have everyone else. It's part of the game(although, we all know Tony's wasn't and shouldn't have been)

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Warren has tied both Athens and Jackson, while picking up a win over Gallipolis 5-3,besides the two you already have.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

7. Jackson(UR)- Very solid program, having a solid season. Usually winning less than 50% of the time hurts, but only 1 loss in 8 games eases that pain.

Jackson has lost two games: Chillicothe and Athens. Still a solid season though. They seem better defensively this year.

General Question: (meaning I'm not trying to make a point, I haven't heard much about their schedule): What are the better quality teams Waverly has beaten?

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

Here we go again on the "who has Waverly played?" tangent!
Waverly performs at their best against the competition they are placed against...Granted, Chillicothe plays a tougher schedule and probably should get the nod at #1, but don't downgrade the Tiger's successful campaign because "they haven't played anyone."
They have beaten: Wheelersburg (#9); Minford (#6) and Unioto (Just dropped)
This week they face Wheelersburg (again), South Webster (who should be getting a few votes for the top ten) and Chillicothe.
And trust me, the Tigers will not overlook tonight's huge SOC match vs. Burg or even Thursday's match vs. SW! Goal #1 is winning an outright SOC II Title!!
However, I am sure Waverly is also excited about facing some stiffer competition from the Cavaliers! Any word if Tony will be back for this match on Saturday?

OVClocal
Freshman Team

Post by OVClocal »

wow, very tough week for waverly, #9 Burg, im giving SW the #11 and then Chilli, i hope they have their legs ready for saturday....what time is the Chilli vs Waverly game on saturday???

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

The Waverly Tigers will be holding their annual Youth Day festivities on
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 20

Below is the schedule of events:
12:30PM = Alumni Match - Odd vs. Even Years
2:30PM = YMCA Under-13 Youth Match
3:00PM = Waverly Junior High vs. Chillicothe
4:30PM = YMCA Under-11 Youth Match
5:00PM = Waverly Junior Varsity vs. Chillicothe
6:30PM = YMCA Under-9 Youth Match
7:00PM = Waverly Varsity vs. Chillicothe

In addition to the above matches, there will also be games, prizes, food and fun for the whole family! Any local youth soccer player wearing their game jersey will get in free! The Waverly Athletic Boosters will be holding their "Buck-A-Braut" and "Quarter-A-Dog" specials as well!

Please bring the whole family for a fun-filled day of soccer!! All proceeds will benefit the Waverly Junior High and High School Soccer Programs!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Webster was the other team I was thinking about, but once again, not much information out there. Anything would help, thanks.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

SOUTH WEBSTER JEEPS
New Boston W 6-3
Minford L 1-0
Jackson L 3-2
@ Clay W 7-1
@ Northwest W 5-2
Valley W 3-0
@ Piketon W 6-2
@ New Boston W 5-0

I pulled this from another topic that was dated 9/11/08...If this is correct, it looks like two very close losses to Minford (#6) and Jackson (#7)...Strength of schedule probably keeps them out of the Top Ten, but South Webster appears to have a really good squad!

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

pcohio: Wasn't trying to poke a sore spot, I just wanted to know who they had beaten. I know generally Waverly has a good program, but no one mentioned who they had beaten. I didn't know who they had beaten previously, because I don't know their schedule... certainly Wheelersburg and Minford are quality wins even if they're DIII teams. I was just curious who they have beaten so far. Simple enough question... not meant to be a loaded question or trying to say Waverly didn't belong in the top ten.

the cynical optimist
Waterboy

Post by the cynical optimist »

I believe Webster has also defeated Alexander 3-1.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I am interested to see the Top Ten after Waverly (#1) falls to Burg (#9) and Chillicothe (#2) loses to Marietta (#5)...

I'm sorry soccerfanatic...It is just when you post something about Waverly Soccer concerning wins, goals scored, etc. (especially on jjhuddle), someone always comes back with "That's nice, but they don't play anybody!" Nothing personal!!

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

PC, Chillicothe is a step in the right direction as far as a non-conference game. People on the "huddle" only pay attention to southern ohio teams when you beat someone above "I-70" or ranked in the top ten located wherever.
If southern Ohio teams want state recognition, you have to play outside of the district.
One team out of the central district I know attempt's to schedule non-conference teams from different districts year in year out to get the exposure.
They have been state ranked and even sent players on to the next level, and they are a D-III school. Coach Murphy has attended these meetings he knows what he is up against. Good luck to the Tigers, the rest of the way, hang in there.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I am sure it is hard scheduling non-conference opponents for Waverly, especially like you said, if they are above I-70! We had a match vs. Granville cancelled this season because the school felt it was too far of a trip to make! Other than that, Chillicothe is about as far north as we get!
Much like Chillicothe, we need more Div 1 & 2 non-conference foes to prepare us for Tournament play...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It's definetly not that easy to get some top notch Columbus-area schools to schedule for matches.

When Unioto was in it's big surge, the 1st season, they played nobody big until the tournament, but were ranked throughout the season. Then they started to pick up Dublin Jerome, Pickerington North/Central, Granville for a couple of seasons and it helped a lot. Zane Trace finally picked up on it and was able to score a home and home with Worthington Christian(thanks to the former HC)

But, as far as the rest of the SE District, Unioto, Chillicothe, and Zane Trace are all easy trips for those schools if a home and home are scheduled. It's about an hour or so for all of those schools, well a trip to Waverly adds a half hour, Wheelersburg is another hour. Which makes it difficult, especially with how has is now, to schedule those top tier teams.

burgboy
Freshman Team

Post by burgboy »

Is there any changes?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Yes, but due to certain circumstances, there won't be another top 10 for a couple of weeks. Someone can post their own if they wish to.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

I'll give it a shot Dani...

This is the way I see it based on how good the team is, not based on nice records.

1. Athens 6-1-2 Impressive 31 Goals For / 4 Against with 6 shutouts. Hard to score on means hard to beat. Have won 6 straight.

2. Chillicothe 8-2-0 4-1 against your previous top 10 with a late 1 goal loss to Marietta on the road and a 1-0 loss to TV minus Mr. Skowronek. Put 6 goals on Waverly Saturday and could have scored a few more.

3. Marietta 5-2-3 Have played some good opponents, quality team. Still looking for their best game. Losses to a state-ranked Medina Highland team and Logan.

4. Fairfield Union 7-1-1 Good record & a good result vs Bloom Carrol, gets knocked a bit for their schedule. Still a bit of an unknown to most.

5. Waverly 8-2-0 Quality team with quality players, really move the ball around well. One problem, the total of 11 goals given up to Wheelersburg / Chillicothe is not good. You won't see that on other state ranked teams. I guarantee it. That will need to be fixed.

6. Logan 4-2-3 Record is a little deceiving. Only 2 losses were to Chillicothe and Warren and both by 1 goal on the road. Good club as witnessed by their 2-0 win over Marietta. Ties with Jackson and Lancaster are not bad ties.

7. Minford 8-2-0 Gets the nod over the Burg by virtue of their record. Can't put them much higher due to strength of schedule. Split with Wheelersburg in 2 games. Beat S. Webster. 1 goal loss to Waverly. 5-1 over Unioto. Good squad.

8. Wheelersburg 7-2-0 Good win over a tough Waverly squad this past week. Split with Minford. Rest of the schedule pretty weak.

9. Jackson 4-3-3 Team is always in the game. Ties with Marietta, Warren, and Logan. 1 goal loss to Athens. Beat South webster away.

10. Warren 3-2-1 Tied Athens and Jackson. One goal losses to Chillicothe and Marietta. Quality win over Logan gets them the 10 spot.

11. South Webster 8-3-0 Losses to Jackson and Minford by one goal. Played Waverly tough in a 3-1 loss this week, but still no quality wins to speak of yet. Record built on weaker competition.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Bucknuts- Looks very good. The top 5 is about what I would've had, with only a couple of teams switched around, but Athens has been very impressive and was going to be my surprise #1 and you ruined it, LOL.

Return to “Soccer”