#1 Athens vs #2 Marietta

soccernut
Freshman Team

#1 Athens vs #2 Marietta

Post by soccernut »

We have played them twice this year. A tie at home for the first game of the year. A one goal lose at Athens on one of the strangest goals I have ever seen.

Our goalie was trying to clear the ball on the corner of the 18 yard box and kicked it into an athens player. The ball went 30 or 40 feet in the air back towards the goal and landed on the goal line and went in. I wish I had a video camera on that one. Even though it was a losing goal it was kind of cool.

Should be a good game. The teams have played very even.

etta09
Freshman Team

Re: #1 Athens vs #2 Marietta

Post by etta09 »

does anybody know what time this game will actually start. i have heard it will be pushed back due to the ACT

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

Our schedule page says 4 PM and the announcer at Valley H.S. also said it would be at 4. Should be a great game. We are doing the game for Nelsonville Cable and I need to know what the Tigers record is for the year. Anyone know?

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

Game has been pushed back to a start time of 5 P.M. (just decided today)

volunteers
Waterboy

Post by volunteers »

Bulldog64 wrote:Our schedule page says 4 PM and the announcer at Valley H.S. also said it would be at 4. Should be a great game. We are doing the game for Nelsonville Cable and I need to know what the Tigers record is for the year. Anyone know?

I believe Marietta is 10-5-4.

Coach Groff
Waterboy

Post by Coach Groff »

the game has officially been moved to a 5:00 start.

fanofsoccer2008
Waterboy

Post by fanofsoccer2008 »

I was in attendance for the Marietta/Athens game at Athens, won by Athens 3-2. I agree with a previous post, Athens' third goal was something that I have never seen before either.

Should be a good District Final - I am going to go with Marietta pulling the upset 2-1.

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

By what I have added up Marietta is 10-5-4.

T-minus 5 hours and counting. Should be a really good game.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

formerbulldog
Waterboy

Post by formerbulldog »

Any radio for this game? The winner of this game will more then likely face Desales (sp?) which would be a tough draw.

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

WMOA 1490 am will be covering the game.

formerbulldog
Waterboy

Post by formerbulldog »

soccernut wrote:WMOA 1490 am will be covering the game.

Man you can't listen online can you?

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Someone listening to this game on the radio give us an update.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Athens won 2-1. No information other than that.

Keeper
Waterboy

Post by Keeper »

It was actually 1-1 woth Athens winning on PK's. Nice game by both teams. Very physical, very intense.

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

If you win the PK's they give you one goal so the actual score would be 2-1 Athens.

Very physical game, the ref really let them play. I thought in the two overtime periods someone, from either team, was going to get hurt.

When I coached traveling soccer I never liked deciding a game with PK's, I would prefer deciding it on the field.

Marietta is only graduating two starters, so we should be back next year.

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

i couldnt agree more with soccernut ... the center official didnt call anything in the overtime periods ... kids were out there hammering each other ... he also provoked both yellows that marietta got for arguing calls ... the guy continually argues with you until your basically yelling back at him i noticed it both times as well as earlier in the tournament ... overall very good game very entertaining to watch ... good luck to athens in regionals

soccerdefense13
Waterboy

Post by soccerdefense13 »

*deleted*
Last edited by soccerdefense13 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schafer15
Waterboy

Post by schafer15 »

soccerdefense13...i have no clue what you're talking about no one from our team was doing anything to you guys from the bus. Quit trying to look cool and making us look bad. And with the game, the ref kept telling us how to play and wouldnt shut his mouth and that is how 2 of our players got yellow cards.

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

soccerdefense13 you are ignorant....is sticking your tongue out at somebody as bad as the athens parents chearing and clapping when we have a player laying on the ground hurt? this happened on two separate occasions i saw multiple athens parents and students applauding the fact that a marietta player was injured and even went to the extent of saying get him off the field. there were many other times during the game in which parents and students from your school acted completely disrespectful. and you did have the respect of mariettas team and fans everybody gave you a lot of credit for getting to the game and winning the game. the refs were not great but i'd think you could be happy with the win and quit acting like a baby.

magic man
Waterboy

Post by magic man »

If any team going back to play at va statium it should be chillicothe

Return to “Soccer”