Previews

socman
Varsity

Previews

Post by socman »

When are all of the previews this year and who is running them?

LHS soccer fan
Waterboy

Re: Previews

Post by LHS soccer fan »

Lancaster HS hosts a large preview, with both girls and boys high school teams playing in the preview. It's an all-day event, held on August 22nd this year. It's a great chance to get a peek at lots of teams.

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

New Boston is hosting most of the SOC team's Preview

Friday Aug. 21st

5:00 Piketon vs West
6:00 Northwest vs Clay
7:00 Eastern vs St. Joe
8:00 Wheelersburg vs South Webster
9:00 Minford vs New Boston

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

alway a great way to kick off the season. new boston does a good job of hosting and i enjoy the field.

----
Freshman Team

Post by ---- »

New Bostons stadium is fun to play in and the field is usually in pretty good shape!

Sports_Tracker
Freshman Team

Post by Sports_Tracker »

The fun starts tonight!

Fyffe16
Waterboy

Post by Fyffe16 »

Are you sure about that Piketon vs. West game at 5? I heard Valley plays West at 5

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Piketon is not having a team this year. I assume Valley took their spot. Good luck to all teams tonight.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Scores from the New Boston Preview

Lucasville Valley 4
Portsmouth West 2

Scioto Northwest 4
Portsmouth Clay 1

Ironton St. Joseph 4
Beaver Eastern 0

South Webster 2
Wheelersburg 1

Minford 2
New Boston Glenwod 1

Good Luck to all area teams this season!
Last edited by a_c_m on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Not that it matters but:

Valley 4 West 2

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

Great soccer preview held at New Boston. Valley defeats West 4-2, Northwest defeats Clay 4-1, St. Joe defeats Eastern 4-0, South Webster defeats Wheelersburg 2-1 and Minford defeats New Boston 2-1. It would have been nice to see how Waverly would have finished. Good luck teams!

Keegan
Freshman Team

Post by Keegan »

It was a good night to watch last night.I didn't get to watch all the games, but here's some observations / opinons of mine:
1. South Webster: They have a pretty solid defense, which is usually true. I thought they move the ball fairly well and really worked short passing game to their advantage. They are a very atheletic and physical team to play against. I look for them to give a lot of teams troubles in and out of the SOC.
2. Wheelersburg: They have some talent on the field. I think their defense needs to pick up the pressure on marking. They need some improvement in the midfield because it was pretty much non-existant last night. Look for them to be in the running for the SOC, maybe more. I think it depends how they come to play.
3. New Boston: I thought they were a little more impressive than I actually expected, no offense. I see their defense still plays the long ball a lot, they did seem to play a little more short passes in the attacking third. I think this team's achilles is their defense though, there were too many times last night that I seen Minford get a jump and a fast break. Something to remember "You live by the trap, you die by the trap"
4. Minford: I think they were pretty impressive. I heard their numbers were down, but they have some good talent. I didn't see the defense get a real good showing last night and would like to see how they stand up against some of the elite of the SOC in Waverly, SW, and Burg. They are still playing a mixture of long balls / short passes. They definitely play with intensity and passion, great to see. Can't wait to see how they perform this year after last year's season.

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

so basically from what I saw Webster had the best squad there as far as soccer skill, Burg obviously has the athleticism just like every other year.

My question is why was the officiating horrible in every game? especially the New Boston game, #10 for Minford should have been tossed he slid a good 2 seconds after the ball was gone on the GOALIE. Isn't a refs main job to protect the goalie?

Further on that, how is NB's goalie? I know he was carried from the bench to the locker room during the game.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Contact was much less than 2 seconds as it was right after the goalie had kicked the ball. The incident was unfortunate but not malicious. I wish the young man a speedy recovery.

The Tigers' back-up goalie gave a nice aggressive effort. A little more experience and he will be a good one.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Fairfield Union played two 20 minute games in the Lancaster Preview. The first was against Newark and there was no score but FU controlled the ball the most IMO. The second game was with the defending District champs, Athens. FU came out on top 2-1 with Athens score coming via a PK.
FU looked good in both games and good luck to them as they start the regular season this coming week.

Return to “Soccer”