United States World Cup Friendlies

socman
Varsity

United States World Cup Friendlies

Post by socman »

The Red, White and Blue take on the Czech Republic tonight at 8:00 on ESPN. Looking forward to seeing how some of the bubble players respond. I'd love to see Buddle continue his supreme form!

----
Freshman Team

Re: United States World Cup Friendlies

Post by ---- »

I am hoping/wanting to not be bothered by the loss... I think despite the high expectations/bad results of 2006, that the Confederation Cup showing last year actually increased the expectations for 2010 more than they were 4 years ago.

We shall see, but I am cautiously optimistic.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

I agree that the great result in the Confederations Cup has given us higher expectations. Probably higher than actually warranted. However you can't take anything from the Czech game this week. We didn't dress 8 of our regular starters as we were trying to test the players who were on the bubble of making the final roster. Now that the cuts are over it is on to business. Turkey presents a tough challenge as they have won all 3 of their games in the last month. If we want to progress this is a game that we must win or at least be respectful.

I'm waiting to see what Bradley plans on doing with the other forward slot. Will he move Dempsey up and insert Holden into the Midfield or will he let Buddle, Gomez or Findley have a chance to secure that role. Our defense needs a lot of work but if Gooch can regain his form in the next few weeks that will realy help.

World Cup sendoff Saturday vs Turkey

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

We played HORRIBLY in the first half against Turkey.

Second half, we were a different team. Beautiful ball by Robbie Findley ahead to Landycakes who put it on Jozy's feet for the first goal. Our defense was very suspect (as usual), but thank goodness we have Howard. He almost single-handedly won us the game against Spain the Confed Cup and can do that again in the World Cup.

I like Dempsey up top with Altidore, but I absolutely cannot stand Feilhaber in a starting role. I prefer Holden.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

I think Findley looked great last night with his ability to find space. Dempsey isn't himself when he plays up front. He's much better with the ball at his feet and room to move. Torres was great and an eye opener for me. I look for him to start alongside Bradley in the middle. He brings much more to the table over Clark and Edu. Onyewu had a much better game than his last. However Goodson looked decent as well in the middle.

xb1srw2
Freshman Team

Post by xb1srw2 »

Finley was a huge surprise to me, I rate him typically just above pond sludge. If he can do more of what he did against Turkey, I might actually think he's worth being on the squad. Torres, well it is about time he got to show what he has.
Our back line will be the death of us I fear.
Next up, the Aussies in a match that is sure to be played at about half pace. No one wants to get hurt heading into the biggest sporting spectacle on Earth.

----
Freshman Team

Post by ---- »

1st- My only issue with Finley is he never seemed to get rid of the ball... He would dribble and dance for 15 seconds when should have gotten rid of it at 13 seconds...

2nd- Donovan showed just how important he is to the team...

3rd- Transition D- It seems we are VERY vulnerable when we are in our offensive side deep, we seem to be getting beat on runs and not playing solid D.

All of those are things that can improve/continue... Just some observations

xb1srw2
Freshman Team

Post by xb1srw2 »

US v Australia was tought o watch
choppy, no flow, I didn't see a bit of the great hussle and "putting it all out there" like Harkes and Healy claimed was out there.
As for Healy, he'd better get some Amp energy drink 'cause he will drive me to watching with the TV muted.
Buddle was a great opportunist to finish
Dempsey, Clark, DeMerit, and Goodson were pure disappointments
Cherundulo was a bright spot. Donovan didn't have a great day, but did well enough. Bradley was solid, but we need more.

Return to “Soccer”