Webster @ Waverly

_____
Waterboy

Webster @ Waverly

Post by _____ »

Thoughts and predictions... Should be a good one.

Webster:) 3
Waverly:( 0

cave canem
Freshman Team

Re: Webster @ Waverly

Post by cave canem »

This should be a very good game.
It will be close.
I see this being a 1 maybe 2 goal game....

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

Waverly Tigers 3 and South Webster 1.
Go Waverly Tigers!!!!!!

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Shouldn't be much of a match, Waverly has football and South Webster doesn't. Just by what is being said on here about such stuff.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Keagan wrote:Shouldn't be much of a match, Waverly has football and South Webster doesn't. Just by what is being said on here about such stuff.
I know you understand about "such stuff". Most SOCII schools have around 150 to 180 boys and lose 50 to 60 to foolball leaving them with about the same numbers as SW at 110, except they have lost most of their athletic boys to football, so for the most part they are playing Co-Ed squads. Wavery has around 250 boys so they still have 190 to field a soccer team. So it should be a close match. It's just basic math and common sense. No need to get sarcastic about it.

Jeepoholic
Riding the Bench

Post by Jeepoholic »

Keagan I think it is going to be a good game. Just because Webster doesn't have football it doesn't mean that they get all the athletic boys at the school to play soccer. Like it is some written rule if you go to South Webster and you are athletic you must play soccer or else. I think there are many of the boys and girls running cross country, playing volleyball, and on the golf team that would somehow not get what you are saying. Not to mention students that don't play anything in the fall, or for that matter don't play anything at all. Good luck boys this year, you guys have been playing together now for a long time there is not always a group that puts as much work into it as you. Wait that can't be it???????

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Jeepman, Listen if you have around 150 to 180 boys and lose 50 to 60 to foolball leaving them with about the same numbers as SW at 110, except they have lost most of their athletic boys to football, so for the most part they are playing Co-Ed squads. Wavery has around 250 boys so they still have 190 to field a soccer team. So, subtract the 150 from 190 and you get 40. Thats probably the amount of boys you have to choose from to play all the sports at your school. So if you then add 50 and 60 you get 110 just like what you have. Plus you playing Co-Ed so ha ha

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Jeep, all schools have kids playing other sports. I know Clay has as few good soccer players doing golf, some doing cross country (one boy doing both, I think he broke the school record Saturday moring and then came and played the second half of soccer against Eastern). They have a couple of boys who didn't play at all so they could work and or prepare for basketball. I have no beef with SW, it's just plain to see they belong in the SOC II where they play basketball and baseball? and NW and West need to move down to the SOC I to even the playing field and make both leagues more competetive. IMO.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Keagan wrote:Jeepman, Listen if you have around 150 to 180 boys and lose 50 to 60 to foolball leaving them with about the same numbers as SW at 110, except they have lost most of their athletic boys to football, so for the most part they are playing Co-Ed squads. Wavery has around 250 boys so they still have 190 to field a soccer team. So, subtract the 150 from 190 and you get 40. Thats probably the amount of boys you have to choose from to play all the sports at your school. So if you then add 50 and 60 you get 110 just like what you have. Plus you playing Co-Ed so ha ha
that must be waverly math :roll:

Jeepoholic
Riding the Bench

Post by Jeepoholic »

yea some fuzzy math going on there for sure. I see what you are saying but i don't understand how Northwest and West need to move down?? I don't no there numbers but they seem to have very large districts?

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

NW has about 190 but because of their large area they can't seem to get enough players to field a team that is competetive in the SOC II, west has around 160 - 170 but until they get the "Soccer is Kickball" mentality they struggle, but they are making a turn around and seem to be getting better each year.
The question is why does SW play in the SOC II in basketball, a sport that doesn't have an advantage by loss of players to other sports (and only needs 5 on the court) and baseball, but move down to SOC I in soccer?

Jeepoholic
Riding the Bench

Post by Jeepoholic »

''The SOC might be the only conference in the state of Ohio that does business this way! I don't know of any other conference in which some teams are in the upper division for certain sports and in the lower division for others.

South Webster and Valley are the only two affected in Soccer. They are in the small school division for Soccer. South Webster is also is in the small school division for Track, while Valley floats between the two divisions depending on how many teams there are.

Oak Hill plays small school football yet big school divisions in all other sports.

South Webster and Valley and Oak Hill are in the large school division for Basketball, Softball, Baseball and Volleyball. These are the sports in which all 16 teams compete!

Western, Green, Notre Dame, East, Symmes Valley and Oak Hill do not have Soccer. This leaves only 10 teams and they are divided up by size.

Western is the only school without either Soccer or Football. (and if you listen to a certain-someone on here they ought to dominate in Cross Country)''

These are not my words but it makes sense to me.

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Yea but why?? What do you think the score will be?

GoCats
Riding the Bench

Post by GoCats »

keagan you sound like you are three years old. Quit whining.

I think its a close game 4-3 Jeeps.

Jeepoholic
Riding the Bench

Post by Jeepoholic »

I take Webster of course. To close to call.

cave canem
Freshman Team

Post by cave canem »

Rocky-- I've answered that question once. As have several other posters. The divisions are seperated by the amount of schools that have soccer. If another SOC school fields soccer the divisions will be adjusted accordingly. Valley also participates in the SOC II in every other sport. I think Webster participates in SOC I in some other sports. Valley is larger than Webster and will be the next SOC I school to move to the big division if needed. Adjusting the divisions based on "strong" and "weak" teams is a short term solution. If soccer in Southern Ohio is to get stronger as a whole don't make strong and weak divisions. Schools need to hire qualified coaches. Coaches that have played the game. Coaches that understand the sport. Clay and Northwest have done this recently. It will take some time but that is the best solution. There are several teams in the area that have good talent (as good as Webster) even though they have football. The biggest difference is coaching. It is past time for Southern Ohio to stop playing "bootball". Once all SOC schools have qualified, experienced coaches that start playing soccer not "kick the ball as far as you can and hope a fast player on your team gets to the ball before the defense" then we will see great competition across the board.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Agreed Cave, and I understand. I am just pointing out what would make the leagues more balanced. My own arguement of numbers falls apart with Wheelersburg who is the smallest of the SOCII schools at 150 and yet consistently puts a good soccer team on the pitch. So it would be temporary, like you said, based on strength of programs over long term records. A more balanced league would also attract more players. I have heard many kids say they don't want to play soccer because their school's team never wins. I think that is why Portsmouth dropped out altogether. No one wanted to play on a team that couldn't win. I could see Portsmouth joining the SOC as well in soccer. I think the last team they had was traveling to far and couldn't compete, but they have a nice youth program with plenty of kids. What happens to them when they get to High School. I imagine most end up at other schools if they really have a talent and desire to play soccer.

btw, there should be a final to this game. What was it?

cave canem
Freshman Team

Post by cave canem »

Rocky-- I have the Waverly-Webster game down as being played tomorrow (Tuesday). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Your right, I forgot that we played an unusual Monday night game. That explains why no one else posted scores. Are Waverly and the Burg tied in the SOCII. Clay has the Burg tomorrow night and if they play their best game they have a shot at a win, but as far as I know Clay has never beat the Burg in soccer. I thought I saw Coach Boll there tonight. He has Clay then St Joe this week.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

rockyraccoon wrote:Your right, I forgot that we played an unusual Monday night game. That explains why no one else posted scores. Are Waverly and the Burg tied in the SOCII. Clay has the Burg tomorrow night and if they play their best game they have a shot at a win, but as far as I know Clay has never beat the Burg in soccer. I thought I saw Coach Boll there tonight. He has Clay then St Joe this week.
Clay beat Burg when coach Munion was at Clay with David Spriggs playing a great game in the goal in the sectionals.
During the SOC championship years Clay beat Burg a couple of times in the regular season, BUT Burg went on to win the sectional one of those years.

Return to “Soccer”