Varsity

#5 Waverly @ #1 Marietta

Post by socman »

Saturday 4:00 @ Marietta

fanofsoccer2008
Waterboy

Re: #5 Waverly @ #1 Marietta

Post by fanofsoccer2008 »

The Waverly/Marietta game will be a 6:00 start time if the Marietta girls win on Thursday night against Chillicothe - this would cause both the Marietta boys and girls to have a 4:00 PM start time.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Marietta girls won 3-0 over Chillicothe. Looks like a twilight double header Saturday in Marietta.

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

Don't know a whole lot about Waverly but I know if Marietta plays up to their capabilities they can beat anyone in their bracket.
Last edited by etta09 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Smith
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr.Smith »

Waverly has came together last couple weeks getting wins and showing a very strong defense. Even though they are without 2 of their top scorers. This game will be close and a tough call. The last two meetings Marietta has won by slim margins but I think Waverly wins in extra time by 1.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

This should be a great game. Waverly finished well against us (Athens) and showed they have some really good attackers. They are playing well. Marietta stumbled a bit at the end of the season, but have a very talented group. Marietta struggled to finish against us during our 1-1 tie at the end of the season. Unless they have that type of finishing issue again, I'd have to give the edge to Marietta, mostly because they have a stronger midfield than Waverly does. Waverly can't afford to give away a large percentage of the possession as they did in the Athens game. Marietta has too much firepower to let them get off so many shots. However, Waverly still has great talent up top and Marietta does seem to be vulnerable at times to the counterattack. This should be a close and exciting game to watch in which either team could win. Good luck to both teams!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Why is this game at the Marietta College Stadium rather than at the normal Marietta High School soccer field?

fanofsoccer2008
Waterboy

Post by fanofsoccer2008 »

Marietta High School used to play all of their tournament games at Don Drumm Stadium until lights were added to the soccer complex in Devola. The field in Devola is not in the best of shape after a full season of boys and girls JV and varsity soccer, Don Drumm was available, so it is being utilized.

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

I wouldn't call it struggling to finish against Athens being they were losing at one point and had to come back from down. If anything Athens as the winning team failed to finish. Marietta dominated the second half putting multiple shots off the inside of the posts. Marietta in my opinion finished well and had some unlucky moments. But either way I expect Marietta to win by 2 goals.

PHS75
SEOPS HOF

Post by PHS75 »

Good Luck Waverly....

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

etta09 wrote:I wouldn't call it struggling to finish against Athens being they were losing at one point and had to come back from down. If anything Athens as the winning team failed to finish. Marietta dominated the second half putting multiple shots off the inside of the posts. Marietta in my opinion finished well and had some unlucky moments. But either way I expect Marietta to win by 2 goals.
By struggling to finish, I mean they had trouble finishing off their shot opportunities. In other words, they couldn't score from the run of play despite a large amount of shots. As you said, they hit the posts, missed a wide open shot, and blasted it over a few times. Their only goal came off of a PK on an interesting handball call. Athens created far fewer opportunities to score, but were able to get a goal during the run of play.

I don't expect Marietta to struggle to score like that against Waverly, but Marietta certainly didn't finish (score goals) from the run of play against Athens, despite a large amount of possession in the second half, and lost to Warren despite having a large amount of shots in that game as well. I think it's valid to point out that their shooting hasn't been what it usually is lately. It will be interesting if that issue comes up for them again. Waverly has some firepower up top and can take advantage of limited opportunities.

I also think it's interesting that the game isn't at Devola. Has Marietta played at Don Drumm recently? My understanding, and an old school guy from Marietta could correct me, that Marietta hasn't played a tourney game there since the about 1996. Might take a bit of the home field advantage away from them. Marietta is always tough on the small field of Devola. Could be interesting on a different field.

pele
Waterboy

Post by pele »

Don Drumm isn't an overly wide field, which is similar to the narrow Devola field. I think the massive size of Warren's field troubled them. They do better in tight spaces where they can play quick and ping the ball around a team.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

What makes everyone think the game is being played at Marietta college?
The directions Waverly received have the game at the Marietta Soccer Complex on 724 River Rd.

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

socman wrote:What makes everyone think the game is being played at Marietta college?
The directions Waverly received have the game at the Marietta Soccer Complex on 724 River Rd.
The game is at Don Drum. If you don't know how to get there though its really easy. Stay on Route 7 and its downtown Marietta, you can't miss it.

Chumlee
Riding the Bench

Post by Chumlee »

Good luck tigers! Get us an update ASAP tonight.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Waverly finds out this am that the game is at Marietta College. If this game is on turf, then where is the sportsmanship?

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

soccerfix wrote:Waverly finds out this am that the game is at Marietta College. If this game is on turf, then where is the sportsmanship?
Can the home team arbitrarily change the site?

cavalierfan1995
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan1995 »

is there a way to listen to the game?or do they bordcast soccer?

MHS_Soccer_Dad
Freshman Team

Post by MHS_Soccer_Dad »

We knew at least on Wednesday that the game was at Don Drumm...so I would assume that people that run the tourney would know that also. I'm not sure who is in charge of informing teams of which complex the game will be held though. We haven't played on the field in 10+ yrs and only on turf at Jackson, Logan, and Athens...not sure we are getting an advantage??

MHS_Soccer_Dad
Freshman Team

Post by MHS_Soccer_Dad »

cavalierfan1995 wrote:is there a way to listen to the game?or do they bordcast soccer?
am 1490 carried the games on Tuesday...I'd try there to see if they will again.

Return to “Soccer”