2011 SOC Scheduling change

socman
Varsity

2011 SOC Scheduling change

Post by socman »

Beginning next season SOC teams won't be required to play against the opposite division.

Waverly has scheduled Zane Trace, Circleville, Unioto, Chillicothe, Jackson (2) and South Webster (2) .

This should really help the better schools in the area by strengthening their level of competition throughout the year. Does anyone know who others have or are trying to schedule?

art_vandelay
SE

Re: 2011 SOC Scheduling change

Post by art_vandelay »

Great to hear. That'll benefit Waverly, Minford and Burg the most. Webster will still be stuck with the majority of their schedule, but hopefully can add second games against Burg, Minford and Waverly (and keep Alexander on the schedule, along with another strong non-conference game).

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Kind of liked to have seen McClain on the schedule. They always seem to have a good record and everyone questions their opponents.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

McClain would be nice to schedule. Might be a good scrimmage for the young Tigers. Lancaster and Athens have both agreed on a scrimmage as well.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

i think playing the opposing league is good for the league. it seems to me that waverly should petition to get out of the soc altogether. however, how are the other teams doing in the soc. every school has cycles and waverly is doing well with soccer currently. very short sided thinking imo.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

RxBurgFan wrote:i think playing the opposing league is good for the league. it seems to me as cycles and waverly is doing well with soccer currently. very short sided thinking imo.
Just because we are on a hot streak in soccer, don't knock us out of the SOC. You do realize our football team went 0-10 this year and 2-13 the last three years in SOC competition. If anyone should petition out it should be the Burg, they dominate everything.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

im saying the wav soccer team needs to petition to get out of soc. they're the ones complaining about the "competition". I know how the other teams fared. that was my original point.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

It's not the competition but the size of the schools. Waverly is the only division 2 team in the league. We go to the sectional drawings playing a predominant D 3 schedule and get no respect for playing a D 3 team that could beat half the D 2 teams. If the OHSAA would go to 4 divisions that would help even the playing field.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

its a good thing, dont you think eastern, west and northwest would like to win a couple of games every year? burg, waverly, sw, and minford need to get prepared for the tourny. If your jv plays half of your games your not going to get any better.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

So you can no longer use the excuse that your weak scheduling cost you a sectional title! Better start winning then, no more excuses! SOC II teams are gonna miss playing at New Boston.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Banddad wrote:So you can no longer use the excuse that your weak scheduling cost you a sectional title! Better start winning then, no more excuses! SOC II teams are gonna miss playing at New Boston.

New Boston has the best field around. I would have loved to play every game there when I played.

TigerFan87
Waterboy

Post by TigerFan87 »

I was just look at the Waverly schedule for next season, and i was wondering if they are playing Valley, because i didn't see a game scheduled, this is usually a good game.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Waverly will most likely scrimmage Valley. Their non conference games consist of Jackson (2) , South Webster (2) , Circleville, Unioto, Chillicothe, and Zane Trace.

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

RxBurgFan wrote:i think playing the opposing league is good for the league. it seems to me that waverly should petition to get out of the soc altogether. however, how are the other teams doing in the soc. every school has cycles and waverly is doing well with soccer currently. very short sided thinking imo.
I agree to a point. I'm glad to see area schools getting better and starting to compete with schools north of us. But every school has it's waves or talent come in and out right now since club soccer hasn't taken off down in this area. But for those schools with currently more success may experience a drought against the newly scheduled teams and do just as poorly. I'm all for expanding and gaining experience but we can't leave the smaller schools behind. For instance, look at Clay in the early 2000's, they ran away from everyone in the area for a few years but didn't fair well againts bigger schools in the tourney.

Again, glad to see soccer looking to expand in the area, but let's not forget the smaller schools...

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

i agree i want to see soccer expand, but as you said talent comes in waves and if you get too big headed while in the good times then you will end up like portsmouth hs having to play a seaol schedule because they burned so many bridges close to home.

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

I agree. There are so many schools around the Southeast District with small class sizes compared to most schools around bigger cities and it will be hard to consistently produce competitive teams year after year.

Return to “Soccer”