Webster wins 2-1
Marietta loses 5-1

AthensSoccerFan
Riding the Bench

Re: 2019 Season Boys Soccer Scores, Standings & Updates

Post by AthensSoccerFan »

Falcon01 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:00 pm Webster wins 2-1
Marietta loses 5-1
Sad about Marietta. Hopeful for South Webster. It would be so great if a team from Southeastern Ohio could get past the Regional semi final or Regional final. It is time. South Webster doesn't have a football team. They are too small. They have been a soccer powerhouse in Southeastern Ohio for years. Several of their former players are successful collegiate players. Good luck to South Webster.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Hopeful for SW, but I am afraid Wellington is a different animal and will be more than they can handle.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Hard to get out of the SE district. But good luck.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

I know FU played Wellington and they said they were ridiculously good.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Falcon01 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:51 pm I know FU played Wellington and they said they were ridiculously good.
Wellington played an extremely tough schedule for a D3 school. Probably why they have outscored their tournament opponents 27-0.

AthensSoccerFan
Riding the Bench

4thgoal wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:56 pm
Falcon01 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:51 pm I know FU played Wellington and they said they were ridiculously good.
Wellington played an extremely tough schedule for a D3 school. Probably why they have outscored their tournament opponents 27-0.
I think the most important thing is how many of these players also play club. They don't have to play club at the top level, they just have to play club and have the experience of playing competitively against their own age group. And it depends how convenient it is to play club. The results show that. Club Ohio Marietta being so good is why Athens, Alexander, Marietta, Warren, Parkersburg, Parkersburg South, and Williamstown have been strong contenders. But they struggle when faced with high school programs where players can choose from multiple and convenient clubs. It is why the 5 player rule is really tough and even discriminatory against rural high schools. Wellington is just outside of Cleveland and the players have many, many choices where they can play club and don't have to drive too far to do it. South Webster boys are really isolated and have no choices really, which makes it harder even though they always have some terrific athletes. I am hoping for an upset. Better yet, OHSAA needs to understand that the 5 player rule favors High Schools in urban areas and discriminates against high schools in rural areas. How can a small but mighty club like Club Ohio Marietta handle the 5 player rule? Where are the players who don't make the top 5 cut supposed to go?

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

AthensSoccerFan wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:48 pm
I think the most important thing is how many of these players also play club. They don't have to play club at the top level, they just have to play club and have the experience of playing competitively against their own age group. And it depends how convenient it is to play club. The results show that. Club Ohio Marietta being so good is why Athens, Alexander, Marietta, Warren, Parkersburg, Parkersburg South, and Williamstown have been strong contenders. But they struggle when faced with high school programs where players can choose from multiple and convenient clubs. It is why the 5 player rule is really tough and even discriminatory against rural high schools. Wellington is just outside of Cleveland and the players have many, many choices where they can play club and don't have to drive too far to do it. South Webster boys are really isolated and have no choices really, which makes it harder even though they always have some terrific athletes. I am hoping for an upset. Better yet, OHSAA needs to understand that the 5 player rule favors High Schools in urban areas and discriminates against high schools in rural areas. How can a small but mighty club like Club Ohio Marietta handle the 5 player rule? Where are the players who don't make the top 5 cut supposed to go?
I dont think you could find someone on here to even argue any of this.. other than I think you meant columbus and not Cleveland.
Club is great, being on any team, because it means touches in the off season. However I 100% agree having choices for club is great
Our area has LSSSA which is Lancaster's club program, but the better players will usually go to canal or pickerington to play with pride or Barca. I think having options is a great point and one that sucks for you guys further away from central Ohio, or cinci even.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Well said. There is no competing for the SE district. You have some one off years such as this year. Generally speaking a district championship is huge for SE district team. And with regards to club you are correct. Any club play is great but the better the options the better the training and competition. When a HS roster has 14 girls who play club soccer a regular HS team will struggle to compete. But good luck to Webster as the represent the little people...lol.

AthensSoccerFan
Riding the Bench

rxburgfan wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:18 pm

Well said. There is no competing for the SE district. You have some one off years such as this year. Generally speaking a district championship is huge for SE district team. And with regards to club you are correct. Any club play is great but the better the options the better the training and competition. When a HS roster has 14 girls who play club soccer a regular HS team will struggle to compete. But good luck to Webster as the represent the little people...lol.
I just wish it was easier for these players to play club. I think that the larger issue can be seen in the national teams. The U.S. Women's Soccer team won the World Cup. How can we make it possible for the men to do the same thing? I was happy to see that the Men's soccer team at Marietta College had advanced in the OAC tournament. My fingers are crossed and I am hoping to see a good result.

AthensSoccerFan
Riding the Bench

Falcon01 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:51 pm

I dont think you could find someone on here to even argue any of this.. other than I think you meant columbus and not Cleveland.
Club is great, being on any team, because it means touches in the off season. However I 100% agree having choices for club is great
Our area has LSSSA which is Lancaster's club program, but the better players will usually go to canal or pickerington to play with pride or Barca. I think having options is a great point and one that sucks for you guys further away from central Ohio, or cinci even.
Yes I meant Columbus. I'm not familiar with Cleveland. I wish that Athens and Alexander had something as good as LSSA. My daughter played with Pride, and I would recommend that club and their coaches to any one. Barca, which used to be Flash, has also done well. There are no options in Athens, Logan, or Alexander. The best players from those areas have played with Club Ohio Marietta/Club Ohio Dublin, Pride, and Club Ohio Dublin or other club teams in Columbus. If I have left anything out, please feel free to amend.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

AthensSoccerFan wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 pm
Falcon01 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Yes I meant Columbus. I'm not familiar with Cleveland. I wish that Athens and Alexander had something as good as LSSA. My daughter played with Pride, and I would recommend that club and their coaches to any one. Barca, which used to be Flash, has also done well. There are no options in Athens, Logan, or Alexander. The best players from those areas have played with Club Ohio Marietta/Club Ohio Dublin, Pride, and Club Ohio Dublin or other club teams in Columbus. If I have left anything out, please feel free to amend.

Lol I'd say you covered it!

Return to “Soccer”