SOC1 Race is Close

OutsideIn
Waterboy

Re: SOC1 Race is Close

Post by OutsideIn »

BlindWhiteHat wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 pm The news coming out of the SOC meeting today is that Clay has forfeited 7 games due to the use of an ineligible player. At least one of these games was in conference play. This will result in Clay being moved down to 2nd place and St. Joe is now the SOC 1 soccer champion.
Thanks for the information!

Pipefitter577
Riding the Bench

Post by Pipefitter577 »

If this is true, its because of a player that would get in the last couple minutes of a game. The player had absolutely zero impact on the games. That being said rules are rules. Keeping your grades up is a big part of playing sports and giving grades to athletes just doesn't happen at Clay.
There is a lot of finger pointing going on but in the end there is a whole team that got something taken away from them. A conference championship that they worked extremely hard for because someone wasn't doing their job. Someone should be held accountable!!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

If that is the case, the coach and AD dropped the ball on that one

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Pipefitter577 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:57 pm If this is true, its because of a player that would get in the last couple minutes of a game. The player had absolutely zero impact on the games. That being said rules are rules. Keeping your grades up is a big part of playing sports and giving grades to athletes just doesn't happen at Clay.
There is a lot of finger pointing going on but in the end there is a whole team that got something taken away from them. A conference championship that they worked extremely hard for because someone wasn't doing their job. Someone should be held accountable!!
Major league error on AD and coach. Huge disservice to the team. Not sure how this mistake gets through.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

rxburgfan wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 pm
Pipefitter577 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:57 pm If this is true, its because of a player that would get in the last couple minutes of a game. The player had absolutely zero impact on the games. That being said rules are rules. Keeping your grades up is a big part of playing sports and giving grades to athletes just doesn't happen at Clay.
Major league error on AD and coach. Huge disservice to the team. Not sure how this mistake gets through.

Very very sad situation for the players who worked their tails off to win the league. Hopefully action is taken to hold the people responsible accountable. Terrible for those kids.

highflyer
Riding the Bench

Post by highflyer »

So what, they played 13 games, forfeit 7 and still come in second in SOC??? What 7 games did they have to forfeit?

Pipefitter577
Riding the Bench

Post by Pipefitter577 »

highflyer wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 pm So what, they played 13 games, forfeit 7 and still come in second in SOC??? What 7 games did they have to forfeit?
We played 16 games total (6 conference games). Like I said previously the player didn’t get in much and obviously only played in one conference game.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Pipefitter577 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 am
highflyer wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 pm So what, they played 13 games, forfeit 7 and still come in second in SOC??? What 7 games did they have to forfeit?
We played 16 games total (6 conference games). Like I said previously the player didn’t get in much and obviously only played in one conference game.
It doesnt matter how much or little they played. Any playing time from an ineligible player will result in a forfeit.

Sounds like the AD either didnt clear eligibility or knew the kid was ineligible but didnt go to any games (or pay attention at the games) to not notice this kid playing.

Pedro
Riding the Bench

Post by Pedro »

The player in question started the game against St. Joe on 10/8/19.
Last edited by Pedro on Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pipefitter577
Riding the Bench

Post by Pipefitter577 »

Pedro wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 am The player in question started the game against St. Joe on 10/8/16.

Senior night

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Pipefitter577 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:33 am
Pedro wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 am The player in question started the game against St. Joe on 10/8/16.

Senior night
It sucks for the kids on the team that won those games but this is total blame of the AD. The coach is responsible to play the players that are eligible. Its the AD's responsibility to let the coach know if there are any concerns.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Final Standings Now after the changes

1 St. Joseph 4 2 0 10 8 2 12
2 Clay 3 2 1 9 7 2 10
3 Valley 2 3 1 11 9 2 7
4 Glenwood 2 4 0 9 15 -6 6

Is this correct?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
bakers12
Waterboy

Post by bakers12 »

Maybe it is time for less apathetic leadership in the athletic department and a person who places students' best interests ahead of his own personal ones first.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

To be fair to the AD at Clay, my understanding is that he cleared all eligible players and gave the coach the roster without this kid on it. The coach penciled in the ineligible player at the bottom of the roster before games. The player and coach both knew he was not eligible and played him (sparingly) anyway. I'm not saying the AD shouldn't take some responsibility because he could have paid more attention to who was on the sideline and playing in games but I think this mostly falls on the coach.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Pantherfan wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm To be fair to the AD at Clay, my understanding is that he cleared all eligible players and gave the coach the roster without this kid on it. The coach penciled in the ineligible player at the bottom of the roster before games. The player and coach both knew he was not eligible and played him (sparingly) anyway. I'm not saying the AD shouldn't take some responsibility because he could have paid more attention to who was on the sideline and playing in games but I think this mostly falls on the coach.
Now that’s really bad. Knowingly playing someone who is ineligible completely screws over the team and the opponents. Regardless they forfeit games that perhaps outcomes could have changed. Amazingly unfair and breach of the rules.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

A willful violation of the rules will hopefully be reported to the OHSAA. This should result in revoking his pupil activity permit

bakers12
Waterboy

Post by bakers12 »

So the AD knew that the coach penciled in an ineligible player on the roster and allowed it to continue after not just one game but the entire season? Then the AD’s apathy is greater than I thought if what Pantherfan says is accurate. And if the AD found this out at the end of the season then perhaps the time has come for him to make a choice, either be a high school athletic director full time and be present at your school’s sporting events in the fall or be a volleyball referee.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

bakers12 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:59 pm So the AD knew that the coach penciled in an ineligible player on the roster and allowed it to continue after not just one game but the entire season? Then the AD’s apathy is greater than I thought if what Pantherfan says is accurate. And if the AD found this out at the end of the season then perhaps the time has come for him to make a choice, either be a high school athletic director full time and be present at your school’s sporting events in the fall or be a volleyball referee.

What I said was what I was told by somebody close to the program. I don't know anything for certain. I was told was that the player was not on the school's final forms as a rostered eligible player. The player knew it as well as the coach. The typed and printed out roster that was provided to teams before games did not include this player on it and the coach penciled him in at the bottom when giving it to other teams. I was told the AD did not know this was happening. And I agree that he could have paid better attention, but I still think that most of the blame goes to the coach.

bakers12
Waterboy

Post by bakers12 »

I cannot say what the coach did or did not do before games, but I’m certain that your information is not coming from the either the head or assistant coach on this matter. It is disappointing that someone within the system would gang up and provide anyone with information to talk about an employee in an unflattering way, just because they have a friendship with someone or favor one person over another. Let’s hope that the upcoming board elections will take of these nefarious networks.

Yesterday, the superintendent, the principal, the assistant principal, and the AD called the soccer team into a meeting without the coaches where the team was told that they were losing their championship title and the reason why. The AD did not speak and the superintendent said he accepted the blame, for the AD I guess. It does not excuse that the ball was dropped by all adults involved. The team was told that the player in question did not have enough credits to play. This should have been clearly communicated to the coach by the AD. Instead the player in question completed his Final Forms and was marked as green and eligible in the system, only the AD could do that. I have been told by someone close to the program that the soccer coaches have screen shots of this. This is clearly a communication breakdown.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

bakers12 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:28 am I cannot say what the coach did or did not do before games, but I’m certain that your information is not coming from the either the head or assistant coach on this matter. It is disappointing that someone within the system would gang up and provide anyone with information to talk about an employee in an unflattering way, just because they have a friendship with someone or favor one person over another. Let’s hope that the upcoming board elections will take of these nefarious networks.

Yesterday, the superintendent, the principal, the assistant principal, and the AD called the soccer team into a meeting without the coaches where the team was told that they were losing their championship title and the reason why. The AD did not speak and the superintendent said he accepted the blame, for the AD I guess. It does not excuse that the ball was dropped by all adults involved. The team was told that the player in question did not have enough credits to play. This should have been clearly communicated to the coach by the AD. Instead the player in question completed his Final Forms and was marked as green and eligible in the system, only the AD could do that. I have been told by someone close to the program that the soccer coaches have screen shots of this. This is clearly a communication breakdown.

It sounds like you and I are both hearing things. One thing that is certain is that the players are the one's who get hurt the most from this. Somebody should be held accountable. Very sad for these players.

Return to “Soccer”