CONGRATS to Valley & Burg!!!!

jazzfingers888
JV Team

CONGRATS to Valley & Burg!!!!

Post by jazzfingers888 »

These two programs set a new record for the SOC tonight. No two SOC teams have scored this many goals in one tournament game, in the same week/5 day period in the history of the SOC. Based off my records search that is. I will need a final from Dr. Rabbit respectively.

Valley 18 goals
Burg. 17 goals
Total: 35 goals

Well done to both of these programs!!! Way to show them what great coaching, discipline, and power means in the SOC!!!

Redcard
Freshman Team

Re: CONGRATS to Valley & Burg!!!!

Post by Redcard »

Over multiple games this is great. But when you show no class and beat someone 17-0 im not impressed. This also devalues Mr Jollys recent new record. But this is again how the record was broke before him. Vicious cycle continues.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

This has been brought up on other threads. I agree running up a score is rough. But, how many goals did Jolly have? did the coaches let seniors who usually play defense go on offense and get a goal? sounds like in the burg game they only scored 3 goals in the second half. So to me, sounds like they worked on things (reverse field a few times, X amount of passes before a shot, etc.). And what is worse? getting beat 18-0 or the other team playing "keep away" and making the defenders mad and look like fools? There is no mercy rule, teams can only do so much.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

These coaches for Valley and Burg know the game and they've been there for a while. I highly doubt they would let their starting players pad stats against an opponent. They would rest the star players and not let them score like crazy, plus it would be stupid to risk them getting hurt in tournaments. I didn't see the box score or stats from these games, but I know they wouldn't do that.

Don KeyPunch
Riding the Bench

Post by Don KeyPunch »

I see a lot of talk about this stuff on here and the only thing I can add is this:

1) When you play a team of such low caliber and skill you have to think of it in terms of a HS team playing a junior high or 6th grade team.... That’s pretty much the comparison here. What would you do if you were playing those guys? Would you let your best player put up 6 goals? Would you feel good about it?

2) The issue I have with soccer around here compared to other HS sports and really sports of all levels is this.... In other sports when you see a guy/girl go for a big game... a career game if you will... 95%+ of the time it’s in a competitive game. You don’t see LeBron go for 50 and the team win by 40... just doesn’t happen. You don’t see Mahomes pass for 450 yards when they’re up 35-0 at half. Doesn’t happen. This is the same in HS football/basketball typically as well. When guys have a “game to remember,” it’s usually a competitive game and they had to play that well to carry their team to victory.... but in soccer around here when a guy puts up video game numbers it’s always in a 10+ goal blowout. Which we all know 10 goal wins in soccer are equivalent to winning a basketball game by 70/80 points or a football game by 50 points.

In other words. Burg is good team and a guy like Jolly is great player. But let’s not even bring soccer stats into the conversation around here. Doesn’t tell you anything about any player or who they’ll be at next level. Just watch the player and decide from the eye test.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Right, I agree. No sense in risking it in a game like this. If some seniors or bench players that dont get much playing time score, i say good for them. Hard to tell kids to go in and play hard, but not too hard, so you dont run it up. Like another posted saidon another thread. Find creative ways to score, has to be a header off a cross or something like that.

saveTHEnight
Freshman Team

Post by saveTHEnight »

BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

What’s more difficult? Scoring against Piketons stout back line or possessing the ball for 5 consecutive minutes like some hillbilly mentioned earlier? I think we all know the answer… PUTTING THE BALLS IN THEIR HOME IS HARDER! I mean you guys are on here acting like the name of the game isn’t putting the ball in the back of the nylon? Don’t hate the player, hate the game! If you can hang a McSmackdown on someone then serve it piping hot.

But besides all that I’m going to do what I do best. Dive deep into the stats and tell you the truth about how impressive this season has been for Jolly and the Pirates.

My methods of research have been called groundbreaking, against the grain, and even “brilliant.” I take pride in diving deep in metrics and go beyond the stuff that happens between the lines in my rankings and comparisons. So today lets take a little look at how the Pirate Soccer Legends compare to some of the best US Pro Soccer stars of our generation. Keep in mind before you call me crazy, I dug back into the amateur statistics of everyone involved to draw this conclusion. High school stats, club stats, indoor/futsol stats, us soccer academy invite camps, etc… This is all-inclusive and no stone was left unturned.

Lets start with I HOW WE MEASURE THE ATHLETES/RANKINGS:

-Goals scored

-Strength of schedule

-Strength of teammates (studs & scrubs)

-PTD+4 (Potential of Teammate Development through 4 years of HS)

-HVF ratio +/- (Header-Volley-Finesse)

-Crowd Pleasers (momentum changing actions during competition)

-SARS (Strong Arm Rating System- fouls & yellow/red card ratio)

-Skip-Prow (Skipping prowess – we can all pass, but who can pass with their melon?)

-Weather % (percentage of bad weather games where player excels)

-Turf/Grass Theory (the game was meant to be played on the real stuff)

-WAR-App (Wins above Replacement- Appalachian enhanced)

-PPE (Pandemic Psych Evaluation system)

- +/- Covid-19 testing (evaluation of white blood cells and antibodies)

So I said all that to get to this conclusion:

If….

Rob Lyons > Claudio Reyna….

Geoff Given > John Harkes

Drew Sampson > Cobi Jones

Wes Lyon > Chris Wondolowski

Braxton Jarvis > Clint Dempsey

Dylan Lewis > Michael Bradley

Bryan Craft > Landon Donovan

Junior Aaron Jolly = Christian Pulisic

Present Aaron Jolly > Christian Pulisic

There you have it… The proof is in the data. It’s time to stand up, shut up, and wear your mask and watch Jolly drop 9 on Valley come Saturday. Valley could barely get to double digits in football this year so I’m shocked they put up 18 last night? Craziness!

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

hmm, interesting...

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

saveTHEnight wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:27 pm BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

What’s more difficult? Scoring against Piketons stout back line or possessing the ball for 5 consecutive minutes like some hillbilly mentioned earlier? I think we all know the answer… PUTTING THE BALLS IN THEIR HOME IS HARDER! I mean you guys are on here acting like the name of the game isn’t putting the ball in the back of the nylon? Don’t hate the player, hate the game! If you can hang a McSmackdown on someone then serve it piping hot.

But besides all that I’m going to do what I do best. Dive deep into the stats and tell you the truth about how impressive this season has been for Jolly and the Pirates.

My methods of research have been called groundbreaking, against the grain, and even “brilliant.” I take pride in diving deep in metrics and go beyond the stuff that happens between the lines in my rankings and comparisons. So today lets take a little look at how the Pirate Soccer Legends compare to some of the best US Pro Soccer stars of our generation. Keep in mind before you call me crazy, I dug back into the amateur statistics of everyone involved to draw this conclusion. High school stats, club stats, indoor/futsol stats, us soccer academy invite camps, etc… This is all-inclusive and no stone was left unturned.

Lets start with I HOW WE MEASURE THE ATHLETES/RANKINGS:

-Goals scored

-Strength of schedule

-Strength of teammates (studs & scrubs)

-PTD+4 (Potential of Teammate Development through 4 years of HS)

-HVF ratio +/- (Header-Volley-Finesse)

-Crowd Pleasers (momentum changing actions during competition)

-SARS (Strong Arm Rating System- fouls & yellow/red card ratio)

-Skip-Prow (Skipping prowess – we can all pass, but who can pass with their melon?)

-Weather % (percentage of bad weather games where player excels)

-Turf/Grass Theory (the game was meant to be played on the real stuff)

-WAR-App (Wins above Replacement- Appalachian enhanced)

-PPE (Pandemic Psych Evaluation system)

- +/- Covid-19 testing (evaluation of white blood cells and antibodies)

So I said all that to get to this conclusion:

If….

Rob Lyons > Claudio Reyna….

Geoff Given > John Harkes

Drew Sampson > Cobi Jones

Wes Lyon > Chris Wondolowski

Braxton Jarvis > Clint Dempsey

Dylan Lewis > Michael Bradley

Bryan Craft > Landon Donovan

Junior Aaron Jolly = Christian Pulisic

Present Aaron Jolly > Christian Pulisic

There you have it… The proof is in the data. It’s time to stand up, shut up, and wear your mask and watch Jolly drop 9 on Valley come Saturday. Valley could barely get to double digits in football this year so I’m shocked they put up 18 last night? Craziness!
Well thought out and said...I think.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

I do not typically agree with TP and Rx, but on this I must, very interesting and well thought out/said. As one of my life long mentors once said...

"you can never put too much cayenne pepper on your meat loaf!"

Cayenne pepper is the GSP (goal scoring power) of your team. Your meat loaf is any opponent you are about to destroy. Case and point, put it all over and give em the peppa baby!

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

thanks, i think? lol But yeah, i used to coach. Ive coached youth level, jr, and some high school in various sports. There are times you are just better than the other team. Id tell the players to go play hard like usual, but once the game was in hand, you can do different things, i get it. But id never tell kids to take it esay or whatever. Wouldnt try to embarras thme either.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

Very good stuff on this topic, even better stuff will be the game between these two goal scoring machines.

VALLEY VS BURG 10/24/20

Thoughts and predictions for this game? Who scores the most goals as a team? As an individual player?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Burg won 5-0 in the season. Both teams have improved I’m sure. I’m a valley guy, but I’m afraid Jolly and the pirates will be too much for them. I’m gonna say 4-1 pirates. Jolly scores at least 2.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Jolly good for 3 so Valley better score more than that.

lovevball8
Freshman Team

Post by lovevball8 »

I think Valley is going to have a tough time with Wheelersburg.

I see that Minford is going to travel to St. Joe Saturday. How many fans can watch there?

Has anyone looked ahead at the regional pairing? It lists the Southeast 2 as the host site for the regional semifinal (District final is at Waverly). My understanding is that it will be at a home site (not a neutral site).

That means if Wheelersburg (#1 seed) gets through, they will have to travel to the Southeast 2 winner... Lynchburg-Clay (#2)/South Webster (#10) or Minford(#7)/St. Joe (#3).

A potential Regional Semifinal game at St. Joe?

That's about as crazy as SaveTHEnight's stats

saveTHEnight
Freshman Team

Post by saveTHEnight »

Yea not so fast volleyball lover. If you’re on here trying to stir up an already vastly fingered pot of unknowns then take it elsewhere. If this were to happen I can guarantee one thing and that is that St. Joe would answer the call. The diocese of the Midwest would definitely step in and probably override Lawrence county health dept officials to bring this game to none other than tanks stadium. Yea the catholic schools go by some of their own rules and rightfully so. They’ve been practicing social distancing for years as a form of individualized patience and discipline. Something you probably have no clue about. Soccer this, regionals that, Pope Francis hit me with a 6 foot wiffle ball bat. Get out of here man. Your skepticism on all of your posts is about equivalent to the skepticism I had with the catholic rhythm method before that became dinosaur ideology. You probably buy into Herd Immunity too? I’m guessing? Bottom line, I hope St. Joe rides this station wagon all the way to the final four.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Redcard wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:24 am Over multiple games this is great. But when you show no class and beat someone 17-0 im not impressed. This also devalues Mr Jollys recent new record. But this is again how the record was broke before him. Vicious cycle continues.
This de-values jolly's record? Your a big person to take that away from a kid.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

lovevball8 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:47 am I think Valley is going to have a tough time with Wheelersburg.

I see that Minford is going to travel to St. Joe Saturday. How many fans can watch there?

Has anyone looked ahead at the regional pairing? It lists the Southeast 2 as the host site for the regional semifinal (District final is at Waverly). My understanding is that it will be at a home site (not a neutral site).

That means if Wheelersburg (#1 seed) gets through, they will have to travel to the Southeast 2 winner... Lynchburg-Clay (#2)/South Webster (#10) or Minford(#7)/St. Joe (#3).

A potential Regional Semifinal game at St. Joe?

That's about as crazy as SaveTHEnight's stats

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

saveTHEnight wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:49 am Yea not so fast volleyball lover. If you’re on here trying to stir up an already vastly fingered pot of unknowns then take it elsewhere. If this were to happen I can guarantee one thing and that is that St. Joe would answer the call. The diocese of the Midwest would definitely step in and probably override Lawrence county health dept officials to bring this game to none other than tanks stadium. Yea the catholic schools go by some of their own rules and rightfully so. They’ve been practicing social distancing for years as a form of individualized patience and discipline. Something you probably have no clue about. Soccer this, regionals that, Pope Francis hit me with a 6 foot wiffle ball bat. Get out of here man. Your skepticism on all of your posts is about equivalent to the skepticism I had with the catholic rhythm method before that became dinosaur ideology. You probably buy into Herd Immunity too? I’m guessing? Bottom line, I hope St. Joe rides this station wagon all the way to the final four.
Just FYI, after district semi finals, the games are being moved to a neutral site. Nice try at stirring the pot. 😅

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Oof

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.

Return to “Soccer”