Unioto crushes New Lexington 18-0!!!

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Unioto crushes New Lexington 18-0!!!

Post by jazzfingers888 »

Way to go Sherman tanks! A lot of people may try to put you up on the wall of shame with some of the teams down south (Valley/Burg). They are catching flack for running up the score on a weak team, but I sure won’t do that. You came in and got things done! Sometimes when you end the regular season with two stinging losses (Burg & Alex) it feels like you had your lunch money stolen twice in the same week. But you came out and made a statement and an example. It’s tournament time which means... take no prisoners. You put up 12 three times in the regular season but outdid those numbers last night. Way to go Sherman Tanks!!!

Sincerely,

Your new biggest fan

THE_MOOSE_IS_LOOSE
Riding the Bench

Re: Unioto crushes New Lexington 18-0!!!

Post by THE_MOOSE_IS_LOOSE »

Yea everyone knows that the Sherman Tanks are the best team north of the mason Dixon line and east of Tornado Alley.... But have some class. There’s no chance that they scored their last 8 goals off headers. No chance. So good job for getting worse during and 18 goal route guys. Well done.

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

Good job beating a team that's existed for 2 (maybe 3) years. Yeah, way to go.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

OSH wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:00 pm Good job beating a team that's existed for 2 (maybe 3) years. Yeah, way to go.
Right? LOL.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:29 pm
OSH wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:00 pm Good job beating a team that's existed for 2 (maybe 3) years. Yeah, way to go.
Right? LOL.
This would be embarrassing even if it was an arch rival of 50 years with years of bad blood. This only makes it worse.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What’s 18-0 in soccer equivalent to in other sports?

Football 91-0?

Basketball 108-26

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

2 years in a row a unioto team has an 18-0 game. Most of us are from the same types or areas, where just getting a soccer program started was tough. Sheridan and new lex are schools that I never thought would have soccer. I'm so happy for them that its finally happened. Games like this are killer to programs trying to start up. These kids probably hear enough crap from people about playing soccer. An 18-0 game just makes it worse.

These games are hard. They aren't fun. They're probably harder to coach than a tough 2-1 game... but they're doable..

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Embarrassing. As a former coach I would expect to be reprimanded. No reason ever to score more than 10 goals on anyone. Very poor lessons being taught to these kids.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

socman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:30 pm Embarrassing. As a former coach I would expect to be reprimanded. No reason ever to score more than 10 goals on anyone. Very poor lessons being taught to these kids.
Sometimes the talent gap is just too massive.

ndc soccer
Freshman Team

Post by ndc soccer »

I don't have a problem with the 18 goals. The talent gap is sometimes too big, the kids who don't play want to go and score, etc...

The problem is chasing records in those games..

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Talent gap, or kids wanting to score. Doesn't matter. There are numerous ways a coach can still challenge players and work on getting better without scoring 18 goals. Score only off headers, 1 and 2 touch passing only, plenty of others. If younger kids want to score they need to wait their turn or get their opportunities in JV games. Beating a school that bad can tear a program apart. It's hard enough getting kids to play the sport at a new school or area, let along having to keep them motivated while getting thrashed by 15+. In football, at all levels, when a team gets up big they dumb down the playbook and just call run plays up the middle, have a running clock or sometimes take a knee. Some coaches in the area need to follow the same concept. But, its just my opinion :)

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

I normally have zero issues with scores, as I've been on the lopsided end in wins and losses -- more losses than wins. I'd rather play out a lopsided game than a "mercy" or a game of "keep-away" (as the kids call it) for 40+ minutes.

I only commented because of this idiocy of a post. I saw the score before the post. I had zero thoughts about it, other than it's unfortunate for a 2-3 year program to go through it. But, it does and can happen. Not sure if it was tongue-in-cheek post, or being honest, but it was an unnecessary post and thread.
jazzfingers888 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:32 am Way to go Sherman tanks! A lot of people may try to put you up on the wall of shame with some of the teams down south (Valley/Burg). They are catching flack for running up the score on a weak team, but I sure won’t do that. You came in and got things done! Sometimes when you end the regular season with two stinging losses (Burg & Alex) it feels like you had your lunch money stolen twice in the same week. But you came out and made a statement and an example. It’s tournament time which means... take no prisoners. You put up 12 three times in the regular season but outdid those numbers last night. Way to go Sherman Tanks!!!

Sincerely,

Your new biggest fan

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

wow... ball out

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

Listen... I know a lot of people are going to disagree with myself, NDC, Raider, mattash, and OSH. Maybe we are from the old tough love school of thought. I don't have a problem at all with 18 goals. Go for 20 if you can. These extra goals may help promote your players confidence and make them look a little better before the Coaches Meetings. Basically it all boils down to another epic quote from my mentor and high school coach...

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!"

In this case... get 18 dropped on ya

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Would some coach(es) on here reading this take it upon themselves to start pushing for the mercy rule for soccer at offseason coaches' meetings? Such an obvious/simple solution to this problem. Scores like 18-0 accomplishes nothing for everybody involved, and as others have pointed out, kills interest real quick in programs just starting up.*

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:43 am Would some coach(es) on here reading this take it upon themselves to start pushing for the mercy rule for soccer at offseason coaches' meetings? Such an obvious/simple solution to this problem. Scores like 18-0 accomplishes nothing for everybody involved, and as others have pointed out, kills interest real quick in programs just starting up.*
As said previously, I've been on both sides of the scoreline -- losing more than I've won.

I despise a mercy rule. It takes away opportunities from players to play. That's what interscholastic sport is for. While losing that bad sucks, kids need the exercise. Kids need the opportunity to play. The program I had played for took their lumps, a few years later...sectional champions.

I am more for limiting who gets into tournament. Put some stipulations on it: winning record, top half of league table, must win more than 1 game. I don't care. Anything more than "everyone gets in" postseason play.
Last edited by OSH on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Official
Waterboy

Post by Mr. Official »

OSH wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:49 am
I despise a mercy rule. It takes away opportunities from players to play. That's what interscholastic sport is for. While losing that bad sucks, kids need the exercise. Kids
need
the opportunity to play. The program I had played for took their lumps, a few years later...sectional champions.

I am more for limiting who gets into tournament. Put some stipulations on it: winning record, top half of league table, must win more than 1 game. I don't care. Anything more than "everyone gets in" postseason play.
Agreed on both accounts.

Some kids get out of the gym credit by playing sports. Apparently band is a sport... Anyway...

You want to participate... accept the results. You want the trophy... EARN IT.

I don't have a problem with the mercy rule the way it's set up now. Running clock.
I'm going to go at the other side of the coin and say high school matches are too long.
In comparison to other sports varsity soccer outlasts all other competitions where time is kept by nearly twice the time. I'd be willing to take 10 minutes off each half. There is still more active play than in any other sport.

As for the tournament though, that's your time to prove you deserve to be there. If you're up, play kids in different spots... work on drills... etc. Don't play keep away. That is the absolute worst for everyone involved.

I also agree 18-0 is a little excessive but as long as we're not out here stat padding our starters, I don't have an issue. You can still win with class.

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

Mr. Official wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:19 amI don't have a problem with the mercy rule the way it's set up now. Running clock.
I'm going to go at the other side of the coin and say high school matches are too long.
In comparison to other sports varsity soccer outlasts all other competitions where time is kept by nearly twice the time. I'd be willing to take 10 minutes off each half. There is still more active play than in any other sport.
I do not agree the sport is too long, it's how the game is setup. If we ever want to get better in the game across the world, we need to mimic what the world is doing. We already play too few matches at this age group (14-18+), why would we reduce the time spent playing?

Sometimes HS soccer is the most competitive and best exposure the player gets before moving toward college or elsewhere (abroad).
Mr. Official wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:19 amAs for the tournament though, that's your time to prove you deserve to be there. If you're up, play kids in different spots... work on drills... etc. Don't play keep away. That is the absolute worst for everyone involved.

I also agree 18-0 is a little excessive but as long as we're not out here stat padding our starters, I don't have an issue. You can still win with class.
As mentioned above, yeah, there could be other ways to do it and it may be excessive...but, this thread wouldn't have taken the route it did if the OP wasn't on here bragging about this win. That was classless. I'd venture to say the winning team wasn't classless during the match, it was just a fan/parent who decided to flex a little online. Completely unnecessary.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

OSH wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:12 pm
Mr. Official wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:19 amI don't have a problem with the mercy rule the way it's set up now. Running clock.
I do not agree the sport is too long, it's how the game is setup. If we ever want to get better in the game across the world, we need to mimic what the world is doing. We already play too few matches at this age group (14-18+), why would we reduce the time spent playing?

Sometimes HS soccer is the most competitive and best exposure the player gets before moving toward college or elsewhere (abroad).
Mr. Official wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:19 amAs for the tournament though, that's your time to prove you deserve to be there. If you're up, play kids in different spots... work on drills... etc. Don't play keep away. That is the absolute worst for everyone involved.

As mentioned above, yeah, there could be other ways to do it and it may be excessive...but, this thread wouldn't have taken the route it did if the OP wasn't on here bragging about this win. That was classless. I'd venture to say the winning team wasn't classless during the match, it was just a fan/parent who decided to flex a little online. Completely unnecessary.
The OP is just a “fan”of goal scoring and not Unioto (originally at least). They did a similar post on Wheelersburg and Valley doing the same a little down the page.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

Dani, I have not always been a fan of Unioto, but I have followed them closely ever since the great tourney run they had with Brown and Bryant (BB Gun) back in the day. However, I am a fan of, and will always be a fan of scoring goals. This year was a reawakening for me. When a team is really good they are going to get dogged for rolling over teams and playing SMF (smash mouth futbol). Valley= great team, Burg= great team, Unioto=great team. Two of these teams are still in tournaments, and one of those just won a district title 7-0. Great players are going to score goals, great teams are going to score goals, great coaches are going to let teams score goals. If teams don't want the publicity, fame, and spotlight, maybe play keep away, or only play with 7 on the field, or create a special type of goal scoring scenario so you don't run the score up. Otherwise keep doin what you're doin. Haters gonna hate and winners gonna win. Once again to quote my mentor/coach...

"don't hate the player, hate the game."

Return to “Soccer”