2023 Season

BadFightSong
Waterboy

Re: 2023 Season

Post by BadFightSong »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:33 am
athlete1120 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:05 am Mostly Southern Ohio D3 schools here, with a few exceptions (Minford and Zane Trace D2 now)

SOC 2 will be loaded again IMO...Burg returns all its scoring after a great year, Northwest returns 90% of its starters from a district appearance last season, Webster was pretty much all underclassmen, and Minford has several guys who started the past 2 seasons on district championship teams returning.

SOC 1 will be a toss-up with Valley losing some key guys as well as St Joe losing arguably the best player in that league to graduation, the rest of the league I'm not sure.

SHAC will be North Adams to lose as I heard they only really lose their keeper, Lynch will be solid as always though. Peebles lost their leading 2 goal scorers to graduation. Not sure about the rest of the league.

OVC will be a battle with South Point probably being the preseason favorite with what's returning. Rock Hill lost one of the best goal-scorers around. The rest I'm not sure about.

SVC - Not really familiar with it, but know Zane Trace has their best few players all returning.

South Point? Lol. Gallia Academy still has a stronghold in the OVC coming off of a District Championship! No way they aren't the favorite.
Though I would probably agree with you that Gallia remains the favorite until they are knocked off. His post clearly states at the beginning d3 schools and even emphasizes Minford and ZT going to D2. I believe Fairland is also D2 which leaves SP, RH, Peake, Portsmouth as D3's of those schools SP is definitely the favorite.

athlete1120
Waterboy

Post by athlete1120 »

South Point? Lol. Gallia Academy still has a stronghold in the OVC coming off of a District Championship! No way they aren't the favorite.
[/quote]

Not as familiar with that area and kind of let Gallia slip thinking I was just talking D3.....regardless I knew Gallia was losing 90% of their offense to graduation....but researching South Point a little more, they lose more than a realized as well...So If I had to go back...Gallia is still probably the favorite, despite all they are graduating...guess we will see which underclassmen step up lol

Hylander
JV Team

Post by Hylander »

I’m gonna make a prediction that West will surprise some people this year. Hopefully they can live up to their potential. I don’t want to put too much pressure on them, but their ceiling may be contending as a top team in the SOC II.

Soccer
Riding the Bench

Post by Soccer »

Northwest and Burg have to be favorites in SOC 2 this year

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

I heard a rumor that Clay did not have enough kids and might cancel soccer this season. I hope that is just a rumor and those kids get to play this year.

SoccerGuy22
Riding the Bench

Post by SoccerGuy22 »

The SHAC preview is this Saturday. I believe it’s at lynchburg. The only matchup I know of is Peebles vs West Union. There will be no girls preview between the two as West Union does not have enough to field a girls team this year.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

The OVC is having a soccer preview at South Point. They put Ironton against Gallia. Must be that none of the OVC teams want anything to do with Gallia. From what I have seen with Gallia the last few years, no one in the OVC will come close to beating them. As far as numbers for soccer, I was told Ironton had 79 kids sign up to play. This may have included middle school.

I was also told the reason Ironton was not included in the OVC this year was it being too late to get all the teams on schedule. The soccer coach went out and made contacts and came up with an eighteen team schedule. It does look like someone in the system doesn't want soccer to succeed.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

RiverRatRay wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:10 am The OVC is having a soccer preview at South Point. They put Ironton against Gallia. Must be that none of the OVC teams want anything to do with Gallia. From what I have seen with Gallia the last few years, no one in the OVC will come close to beating them. As far as numbers for soccer, I was told Ironton had 79 kids sign up to play. This may have included middle school.

I was also told the reason Ironton was not included in the OVC this year was it being too late to get all the teams on schedule. The soccer coach went out and made contacts and came up with an eighteen team schedule. It does look like someone in the system doesn't want soccer to succeed.
Gallia lost their top 3 scorers to graduation last year.

Post by BadFightSong »

Ironton is not OHSAA sanctioned this year, they are considered a "club" team. However many of the OVC schools have either scrimmaged them or are scheduled to do so. The schedule for previews was the exact same this year as last years so I'd say they just plugged Ironton into the girls spot where SP played 2 games last year. The boys side Gallia typically always has the most boys players and again appeared to have more than others, therefore they split their roster to play Ironton, don't believe it has anything to do with no one in the OVC wanting to play Gallia.

Results from the preview are as follows:
(Girls) SP 1 Fairland 0
(Boys) SP 5 Fairland 1
(Girls) Ironton 9 Chesapeake 0
(Boys) Chesapeake 3 Portsmouth 2
(Girls) Gallia 0 RH 0
(Boys) Gallia 1 RH 0
(Boys) Gallia 3 Ironton 0

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

BadFightSong wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:26 pm Ironton is not OHSAA sanctioned this year, they are considered a "club" team. However many of the OVC schools have either scrimmaged them or are scheduled to do so. The schedule for previews was the exact same this year as last years so I'd say they just plugged Ironton into the girls spot where SP played 2 games last year. The boys side Gallia typically always has the most boys players and again appeared to have more than others, therefore they split their roster to play Ironton, don't believe it has anything to do with no one in the OVC wanting to play Gallia.

Results from the preview are as follows:
(Girls) SP 1 Fairland 0
(Boys) SP 5 Fairland 1
(Girls) Ironton 9 Chesapeake 0
(Boys) Chesapeake 3 Portsmouth 2
(Girls) Gallia 0 RH 0
(Boys) Gallia 1 RH 0
(Boys) Gallia 3 Ironton 0
Ironton played Gallia's JV team.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:34 am
RiverRatRay wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:10 am The OVC is having a soccer preview at South Point. They put Ironton against Gallia. Must be that none of the OVC teams want anything to do with Gallia. From what I have seen with Gallia the last few years, no one in the OVC will come close to beating them. As far as numbers for soccer, I was told Ironton had 79 kids sign up to play. This may have included middle school.

Gallia lost their top 3 scorers to graduation last year.
Gallia did not play their best in Saturday. They are honestly still searching for their scoring. Hopefully, they find it this week.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Pantherfan wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:07 pm I heard a rumor that Clay did not have enough kids and might cancel soccer this season. I hope that is just a rumor and those kids get to play this year.
They never do, i just dont understand why some of these schools dont combine. Its best for the kids. Clay, NB and East could be the size of the other schools and have football, boys and girls soccer, track baseball, xc, golf

otbz1
Waterboy

Post by otbz1 »

SHAC boys perspective here, will be an interesting league for sure:

- Lynchburg keeps winning each season but would have to think someone else will eventually take it, there are several other great teams in the league who have come so close in recent years.
- North Adams is a great program who always plays a tough schedule (several Southwest teams) to prep for conference/tourney.
- Peebles is well coached and absolutely cannot be counted out with their results in recent seasons.
- Fairfield has looked awesome in their scrimmages.
- Fayetteville is the dark horse, not as recognizable here due to being in the Southwest, but good roster.

Should be a fun season!

Return to “Soccer”