Just for funsies.

Re: Mock Boys D-II Bracket using MaxPreps RPI

Post by SoccerDad »

Nice. I've seen 1-6 play, and that's exactly how I'd have them seeded

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

SoccerDad wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:20 pm Nice. I've seen 1-6 play, and that's exactly how I'd have them seeded
I know this is a mock using the max preps rankings, but Athens owns the head 2 head win over FU. Not that it would matter, the 2/3 combo would be on the same side of the bracket, but from my experience with baseball, the h2h usually matters with coaches when they're seeding ( I'm pretty sure the preps rankings will not be used for soccer this year, correct?).

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

SoccerDad wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:20 pm Nice. I've seen 1-6 play, and that's exactly how I'd have them seeded
I’m bias toward the SOC2, BUT! if you have watched the top 6 seeds play and agree with their seeding, maybe you should have watched Minford (8th seed). A few common opponents: Webster 4 Jackson 2, Minford beat and tied Webster. Gallia tied @ rock hill, Minford beat rock hill there 8-1. Head to head, Minford beat Zane Trace 4-1 in a scrimmage, both teams at full strength. Minford dominated the majority of the Athens game and missed two PKs. I’m not saying the falcons are better or deserved to be a top 3 seed, but they were as good as Athens.

Minford @ Jackson tonight, this game won’t be close if the falcons play to their potential.

SoccerDad
Waterboy

Post by SoccerDad »

GoAt 10 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:34 am
I’m bias toward the SOC2, BUT! if you have watched the top 6 seeds play and agree with their seeding, maybe you should have watched Minford (8th seed). A few common opponents: Webster 4 Jackson 2, Minford beat and tied Webster. Gallia tied @ rock hill, Minford beat rock hill there 8-1. Head to head, Minford beat Zane Trace 4-1 in a scrimmage, both teams at full strength. Minford dominated the majority of the Athens game and missed two PKs. I’m not saying the falcons are better or deserved to be a top 3 seed, but they were as good as Athens.

Minford @ Jackson tonight, this game won’t be close if the falcons play to their potential.
I'll have an eye on the Minford/Jackson result since I have connections to Warren, who goes to Minford for round 1.

Minford's a tough one to judge on paper, since much of that schedule is DIII. I bet that's what's held them back from a higher seed despite the great W/L record.

SOCFalconFan
Waterboy

Post by SOCFalconFan »

Minford definitely got screwed with the seeding due to it being their first year in DII. They should be the 5 seed at least. They are better than Jackson, Zane Trace, and Gallia. Likely pretty close to Unioto.

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

Minford 4 Jackson 2
FINAL

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

GoAt 10 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:34 am

Flat out wrong. Minford did not dominate the majority of this game. And those missed PK's were great saves by Athens GK. And I don't even want to bring up that 2 of the 3 PK's were flat out flops, but good acting got the calls I guess. But my broader point is this is not a game that was dominated by Minford

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

Agreed they were great saves. The Athens keeper made several not just those two PKs. Minford keeper had a great save in the second half as well.

If you disagree on the word “dominated” then at least acknowledge and accept the stats. Minford had more shots, more corners, more possession, longer pass strings, and for the “majority” of the game, the falcons were better. Athens looked to play the long ball a lot more than the past few years of teams did.

Lastly, I didn’t say Minford was better, just simply stated they were as good, that night. The stats are stats, not some opinion or made up thing. So, Minford was better, on paper, on the pitch from my perspective.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

GoAt 10 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:07 pm Agreed they were great saves. The Athens keeper made several not just those two PKs. Minford keeper had a great save in the second half as well.

If you disagree on the word “dominated” then at least acknowledge and accept the stats. Minford had more shots, more corners, more possession, longer pass strings, and for the “majority” of the game, the falcons were better. Athens looked to play the long ball a lot more than the past few years of teams did.

Lastly, I didn’t say Minford was better, just simply stated they were as good, that night. The stats are stats, not some opinion or made up thing. So, Minford was better, on paper, on the pitch from my perspective.

To be fair, that was Athen's 3rd game in 3 nights. Thats insanity to schedule like that. Not saying Minford isn't good, but at their best, Athens is definitely where they belong in the top 3.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

GoAt 10 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:07 pm Agreed they were great saves. The Athens keeper made several not just those two PKs. Minford keeper had a great save in the second half as well.

I'm feeling like we watched a different game. I have no idea on stats, please post a couple if you want to. We'll agree to disagree on the "better for majority of the game". And Athens played their normal game. One goal was a direct kick to the goal that was put in on the rebound, but the other 2 goals were Athens style of building from the back line and possessing through. There were an extremely high number of headers, but not really too many long balls.
And to clarify, I DO think Minford is a solid team/program. In fact, the first thing my son and I commented on after the bracket was released was that Minford has to be pissed with that 8 seed! Best of luck in the tournament and hopefully all teams stay injury free!

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

No surprise to me, but little division 3, South Webster beat Unioto 2-1 at Unioto tonight. Minford beat previously unbeaten Wheelersburg. The SOC is as good as any conference in the SE district.

athlete1120
Waterboy

Post by athlete1120 »

D3 South Point tied @ Gallia last night as well

Return to “Soccer”