Who won the 2009 volleyball title Saturday?

jottings
SEOPS H

Who won the 2009 volleyball title Saturday?

Post by jottings »

Anybody have a final on today's SEOAL championship game at Gallipolis?

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Re: Who won the 2009 volleyball title Saturday?

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

I believe Gallia won in 5. Also Warren beat Jackson in 5 for 3rd place.

lefty
Freshman Team

Post by lefty »

Gallipolis in 5. Marietta was at match point in the 4th game & couldn't finish. Good match for both teams. Marietta played as though they weren't going to may any miscues late in the 4th game & let their guards down. GAHS kept fighting & took it to a 5th & deciding game with the momentum.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

When and where is the post-season tournament scheduled?

allaces1
Freshman Team

Post by allaces1 »

The drawing is today at 1:00 at Jackson High School.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

SEOAL Day of Champions results

1st: Gallia Academy def. Marietta 25-18, 23-25, 16-25, 28-26, 15-7

3rd: Warren def. Jackson 26-24, 19-25, 25-20, 22-25, 15-9

5th: Chillicothe def. Ironton 25-18, 25-19, 25-16

7th: Logan def. Portsmouth 21-25, 25-16, 25-19, 25-16

SEOAL North goes 3-1 overall and has won 7 of the last 8 volleyball DOC matches held.

Previous SEOAL DOC champions

2008: Zanesville over Chillicothe
2007: Gallia Academy over Warren
2006: Warren over Jackson

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Understand GAHS drew Warren Local in the post-season tourney and will play in the new GAHS gym.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Can't imagine either team is too happy about that draw.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

How about Warren going 15-6 and going on the road as a 6 seed?

backinblack
Riding the Bench

Post by backinblack »

Guys...why is this so hard to understand for either team? Athens was clearly the #1 seed. I'm sure there's no problem there.

For Gallia...they got the 3rd seed. I don't know how "liked" Coach Amy is, but here's how I see it as an innocent bystander (lol). Marietta & Gallia both have 4 losses...they split with each other...Marietta beat Gallia on a neutral court...Gallia beat Marietta on their home court. From there...I'm gonna venture to say strength of schedule played a part in Marietta getting the higher seed????

For Warren, both the 4th & 5th place teams had fewer losses than Warren...bottom line. And those losses were to some good teams.

Anyway...from here on out...it's all about just playing the games. Who really wants it...who shows up to play...who brings their "A" game & who doesn't!! Last year, Marietta was the 8 or 9 seed (maybe), and no one expected them knock off the top seeds in the sectional and go on to district finals. Anything can (and usually does) happen come tournament time...and nothing will surprise me!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL...and MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN!! :)

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

I don't have a problem with Athens and Marietta being higher seeds. Also knew Gallia would too after they beat Marietta, especially since the game between GAHS and WHS became a scrimmage and did not count. Don't know anything about Meigs or Waverly so can't pass judgement there.
Warren had a good season and you would think that 15 wins would get you a home game but not in this sectional is all I'm saying.

backinblack
Riding the Bench

Post by backinblack »

I totally understand, but as with past years & I believe this year, too...only the top 4 seeds start out at home.

Warren has had a good year, indeed, and good luck to them in the tournament!!

roundhouse
Waterboy

Post by roundhouse »

I don't exactly feel like warren should be seeded higher although I do feel they are better than some of the higher ranked teams but they will have to prove that. My problem with the way things shake out is (and this could go for several teams) that it is impossible for a six seed to ever have a home game. This is also true with the 5th seed as well. I just think that the higher seed should have the home game. If the 1 or 2 seed has an off night and plays down or key players get hurt and an 8 through 10 seed ends up beating them then the 4th through 6th seed has to travel to a place which was seeded lower initially. I think this practice is really the main problem I have with the way the home sites are selected. It just isn't really legit to have a team work for a higher seed and then never reap the benefits (ticket sales, snack stand, home crowd, etc.) of having that higher seed. Just so you know that scenario could very easily happen this year too. It happened last year for that matter.

OUBobcat
Riding the Bench

Post by OUBobcat »

i would have to agree with you when it comes to site selection if a higher seed loses...if #9 defeats #1 then #9 should travel to #4 (not the reverse as it happens currently)...and i dont know what the big deal is...the assigner has to shift officials anyway since they already have the officials assigned to the #1 site...what is different from telling the officials to travel to #4 school compared to telling them to travel to #9...

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

roundhouse wrote:I don't exactly feel like warren should be seeded higher although I do feel they are better than some of the higher ranked teams but they will have to prove that.

I am not arguing over Warren being a 6 seed. I'm just saying there are probably a lot of sectionals that 15 wins would have got you in the top 4 seeds. Yes, they will have to prove they are better than a 6 but that will be difficult in places like Gallia or Marietta.

lefty
Freshman Team

Post by lefty »

The D11 drawing needs to be looked at very close after watching Warren down Athens in five. The coaches need to vote the best team & not their favorite/non-favorite coach. It will be interesting to see the outcome of next weeks action. Good luck to all the teams!!

Return to “Volleyball”