Eastern Eagles ... TVC-Hocking Champions

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Eastern Eagles ... TVC-Hocking Champions

Post by 93Bulldog »

Posted on another thread:

Trimble Vs Eastern - A match that decided if either an outright TVC-Hocking champion would be obtained, or there would be co-champions if the Tomcats won ...

Eastern (3-matches-to-1) over Trimble at White Gymnasium in Glouster.

Eastern Eagles ... 2009 TVC-Hocking Champions (9-1 in the league)

They're pretty good, the Eagles are ... Tonight they were powerfull, consistent, didn't waiver when they fell behind 1-0 and their extreemly well coached ....

Not sure if a score was posted or not, but Eastern lost the 1st set (25-19) maybe ... won a crucial 2nd set (26-24) .... dominated the 3rd (25-13) I think - and did the same in the 4th (25-15) or something .... I left my paper work somewhere and dodn't have exact scores but that's pretty close ..

Turley had 18 kills - shes a force!
Watzel had 12 I think.
Maxson was solid, Holter was too ... The Morrison girl is tough and compliments Swatzel & Turley well ... Eastern has like 4 or 5 real solid players who add something a little different to a match - plus two powerfull hitters ... its a nice mix of players (scary thing is only a few are seniors, one of them being Turley)

Not to dismiss Trimble - The Savage girl is very, very good - She's still young and will only get better ... She had like 4 kills and 4 huge blocks on the Eagles big hitters in that 1st set ... It sparked Trimble to an opening set victory, but they couldn't maintain the intensity ... Savage delivered 10 kills and six blocks I think total ... Kendra Sharrer and Cassie Christman had some nice kills and were solid ... Chelsey Kinnison had some nice kills as well ... Sierra Lenigar is a very nice all around athlete for the 'Cats (volleyball, basketball and really good softball player) and she had an alright game, but I have seen her play better (she just didn't have many opportunities versus Eastern) I think she led the team in serving points and aces though.

All in all, it was a good match; Eastern (9-1 TVC-Ohio) probably deserved the trophy but could have easilly been beaten tonight had Trimble (7-3 TVC-Ohio) taken that 2nd set ... but woulda, coulda, shoulda never cuts it anymore, you gotta play hard and play to win in an underated Hocking Division if you want some hardware to take home.

lefty
Freshman Team

Re: Eastern Eagles ... TVC-Hocking Champions

Post by lefty »

93 bulldog has pretty good stats but what about the Connolly girl? Probably the best hands in the Hocking Division as the setter. She is poised & very well a leader of that team.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

She is a solid player to add to that lineup, I would like to see her sets a little closer to the net but she fits in well with that team. Congratulations to Eastern! I wasnt sure how good they were going to be before the year. How far of a tournament run can they make?

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

If the Eagles would be fortunate enough to win their district at Wellston, they would face the champs of the Lore City District in the regional semi-final. The very tough Tuscarawas Central Catholic (TCC) team is slotted #1 in that district. TCC is sitting at 19-1 with a close loss in an early season tournament to Claymont, a 20-1 division 2 team. TCC is a perennial volleyball power with many regional appearances in the recent years. Winning the district is a feat that the Eagles have accomplished many times, but they still have yet to win a regional semi. Go EAGLES!!!

Eagles - congratulations on a very good regular season and your league title! Work hard to have your game at its best for the tournament. Berries!!!! :)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Sorry about not mentioning Connolly ... When you have 4, 5, 6 and start getting into seven good players deep - you lose focus of the setters and Liberos it seems ... Not to mention there is no other team in Southeastern Ohio to keep stats for than Eastern (If your not real familiar with them and watch all their matches) There are 3 or 4 girls that look alike and you can't see their darn numbers very good! lol ... I had to go with other methods Thursday like remembering #15 wore a pink head-band - while #10 had really blonde hair and #13 didn't have either of those traits or accessories ... #12, #13, #15 and #11 are hard to see on the jerseys and look alike .... the twenties and thirties the same way ...

Bird Watcher
Waterboy

Post by Bird Watcher »

Class of 86, first of all Connelly is doing very well. You cant set close to the net because you cant swing through to get enough power. As you face better teams setting closer to the net only means your going to get blocked more because the hitters cant hit their shots around the block. Connelly knows what she is doing. But as for the rest of the team, congrats, they really deserve it with all the hard work they put in through the summer and conditioning periods.
Give the tourney a good run girls!!!!
Remember: You only go as far as your seniors take you

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

I was knocking her or anything.. I know shes a good player

Bird Watcher
Waterboy

Post by Bird Watcher »

I know, I was simply stating

jumparound
Freshman Team

Post by jumparound »

Congrats Eastern!

cobweb
JV Team

Re: Eastern Eagles ... 2010 - Muskingum University Spikefest

Post by cobweb »

The EEagles went up to Muskingum to participate in the July 24th edition of their Spikefest. The varsity event had 17 teams in 2 flights. The Eagles sailed through their pool without losing a set. They defeated Maysville, Zanesville, St. Clarisville, and Groveport on their way to a #1 seed in the tournament. In the first round of the tournament the Eagles defeated Coshocton (2-0) and then lost decisively to Shekinah Christian, settling for a third place tie with Maysville. The Shekinah Christian team looked play-off ready. They have such a mature defensive game, it seemed that everything that made it over the net came back, making it too difficult to score. The Eagles had a really good preseason day, but just did not play up to the Shekinah Christian game.

I do not know how it turned out between SC and Marietta. I left during set one, SC was up 18 - 8 and looked as if Marietta was having as much trouble scoring as the Eagles did. Tigers, did you turn it around and leave with the championship?

backinblack
Riding the Bench

Post by backinblack »

Cobweb...what a match between Marietta & Shekinah Christian...WHEW! Marietta lost first game thinking they could roll the ball over and dink...NOT!! It was either put the ball down hard or go home with second place. Well...after a good 1st game (25-18 or 25-19) to SC, Marietta came back and won the second game (can't remember the score). It was a good 3rd game, too, but Marietta jumped up on SC by 5 or 6 pts. to start off with and that ended up too much of a deficit to make up in the end. Game 3 was 15-11 or so...an excellent match all the way around, and much, much respect for those girls from SC. What a scrappy bunch of young ladies, who play defense the way it was meant to be played!! Congrats to the Tigers on the win!! :)

I officiated that game between SC and the Eastern Eagles...and it was purely defense on the part of SC. I thought Eastern looked good in the games I watched at the high school and to go 8-0 in pool play was very impressive! Was missing the one and only Howie Caldwell on Saturday...will he be coaching the Eagles this season?

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

Saw Shekinah Christian play at another tournament. They have about 20 girls in the whole high school and 8 or 9 of them make up the volleyball team!!! They were a very scrappy team that really works hard.

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

Wow, what a turn around the Marietta Tigers at Muskingum, congratulations!!

I talked to a couple of the Shekinah Christian parents, they have high hopes for a successful season and tournament run this year in Div. 4. They told me that they were the smallest Div. 4 school in the OHSAA.

The Eastern fans are looking forward to having Howie stompin' on the sidelines this year as the Eagles volleyball coach. :)

Return to “Volleyball”