2011 Season

Who is the best team?

Total votes: 0

run-n-gun
Varsity

2011 Season

Post by run-n-gun »

The season is approaching fast, and the teams are just about ready to begin play.
What teams will be in the "Elite Class" for this season in Southeast Ohio?
I think this year will be a little different from years past. Teams such as Alexander and Wheelersburg have been shaky over the summer, and I'm unsure on these teams this season.

So, what teams will be the best this season?

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Re: 2011 Season

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Don't count Waverly out. They have a young team, but a lot of young talent in the sophomores. The team appeared to be playing better as a team. From what I've seen at the different scrimmages they have several good hitters. Roback (senior), Wiget(sophomore), Martin(sophomore) and the Boyer girl (senior) will give some good competition. Eastern Reedsville and Easter Beaver appeared to be strong as well.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

I'm looking for South Webster to be a front-runner this year. They return everyone from last year's district runner-up team. Four of their starters played JO ball out of Aleta this year so they've improved in the off season. Haven't seen them play yet, so we'll see what happens.

run-n-gun
Varsity

Post by run-n-gun »

I actually meant to put Waverly on the ballot, but it slipped my mind while I was doing it.
I also look for South Webster to be good. They play Eastern Beaver in the season opener, so we will see just how good both these teams are.

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

you also left out Valley ...who returns several key players ...2 play club ...and all are experienced ...and they will compete

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

digger wrote:I'm looking for South Webster to be a front-runner this year. They return everyone from last year's district runner-up team. Four of their starters played JO ball out of Aleta this year so they've improved in the off season. Haven't seen them play yet, so we'll see what happens.

I heard they may be starting or at least playing a freshman as well

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

The Jeeps may have freshman dressing, but as of now, they are all on the jv squad. Varsity will consist of 2 sophomores, 4 juniors and 3 senioirs.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Warren Local is going to be very good too. Open the season with Alexander.

run-n-gun
Varsity

Post by run-n-gun »

I just don't see Valley being a great team this year. Yes, they will be good and compete. But is Regionals within their reach? I'm not so sure.
I expect Webster to be at the top of the SOC 2, along with Waverly.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Cap'n Scoop wrote:Warren Local is going to be very good too. Open the season with Alexander.

I am going to retract my statement. Even though Warren Local returns 5 hitters and a setter from last year they have struggled in 2 scrimmages. Lots of work to do for a team with high expectations.

WHS scrimmaged Waterford this eve. Waterford took 3 of 4 with starters playing. Waterford is not deep but very good. They will be a force in their division.

pitt87fan
Freshman Team

Post by pitt87fan »

Did Athens somehow et left off this list. They just may be the sleeper with new coach and lots of talent.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

Good scrimmage at Athens tonight. D1 Lancaster, D2 Athens, D3 Alexander and D4 South Webster.

South Webster beat Alexander & Lancaster and split with Athens. The Jeeps got better and better as the night went on.

Athens beat Lancaster. They played hard against Alexander, trading points back and forth before they took the lead in both sets and beat the Spartans.

Alexander beat Lancaster.

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

Dig, sounds like a great night of pre-season volleyball and that my vote in this poll is a good one!

Will we be seeing you as they scrimmage tomorrow?

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Athens finally has solved the Chemistry Problem......always had talent to spare, but now with the togetherness fostered by that new coaching staff----watch out for Athens! I expect them to win the TVC and go undefeated with tests from Nelsonville and Alex. Too bad they are not in Division 3 come tournament time....... Division 2 is a tough route to Regionals and beyond. But, who knows maybe they can rise to the challenge!

South Webster still has a long way to go to get to the level they want to be. The first and only scrimmage for the Jeeps was a good one though and I am glad they are not close to peaking! All the pieces are there----good setting and multiple weapons!

Alexander played tough but only has 1 hitter right now who can finish. They aren't covering as well as in the past either, but who wouldn't love to have their past? By the end of the season they will be a tough out in the tourney----there is no doubt about that!

Lancaster was the 4th best team there last night---well coached but missing some pieces. They played hard all night as it was a very long scrimmage. Good luck to them this year.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

Cob, the Jeeps have previews at Valley high school tomorrow so I'll be sitting in the stand there.

We have our first game at home Monday against Eastern Pike, always a good game to start the season.

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

Ger, DD's Eaqgles are off to Huntington HS tomorrow to scrimmage. I thought I heard mention of EP and SW to be there. Might be something to the Betterhalf's claims of my hearing loss. Best of volleyball fortune to your gals and to the Jeeps this season!!

SVBT11....thanks for the rundown on last night's Scrim. I thought that scrimmages had a time limit in the rules to keep them from going too long. Now to stir it up a little, Eastern plans to retain their annual grasp on champion status at the Athens Tournament. If they can, so much for an undefeated season. From what I have seen in the pre-season, all teams playing the N-Y Buckeyes bettter be ready, they are playing the game, free balling is not in their game plan, anywhere. The TVC-Ohio should be a multi-team race this year.

Huntington Scrimmage - cancelled late Friday night.
Last edited by cobweb on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

Cobweb wrote:Ger, DD's Eaqgles are off to Huntington HS tomorrow to scrimmage. I thought I heard mention of EP and SW to be there. Might be something to the Betterhalf's claims of my hearing loss. Best of volleyball fortune to your gals and to the Jeeps this season!!

SVBT11....thanks for the rundown on last night's Scrim. I thought that scrimmages had a time limit in the rules to keep them from going too long. Now to stir it up a little, Eastern plans to retain their annual grasp on champion status at the Athens Tournament. If they can, so much for an undefeated season. From what I have seen in the pre-season, all teams playing the N-Y Buckeyes bettter be ready, they are playing the game, free balling is not in there game plan, anywhere. The TVC-Ohio should be a multi-team race this year.
Cobweb you are correct about the time limit. From the OHSAA Sports Regulations: The length of the scrimmage is limited to a maximum of three hours per squad or individual per day for grades 9-12, and two hours per squad or individual per day for grades 7-8.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

The scrimmage started at 6 and was done by 9......... I believe each team played the other 3 teams for a time limit (50 minutes?) because they would finish in the middle of the 3rd game. Without a ref to slow things down the teams could play quickly and get several more points than usual in the 50 minutes.

I said it was a long scrimmage because by the end of the 3rd rotation it felt like we had been there a long time-----but the girls were still playing hard-----especially Athens vs Alexander! Both teams were playing every point like the TVC was on the line!

By the way, I am from South Webster and will stand by my Athens undefeated in the TVC statement! If Eastern wins the tournament this year they will have definitely earned it-----AHS has all the tools and have undergone a complete makeover. I don't think Athens will go undefeated for the entire regular season, but will in the conference.

Sidenote: At the beginning of the Athens vs Webster scrimmage there were 11 Aleta girls on the floor...........South Webster is Aleta West :-)

winsandlosses
Riding the Bench

Post by winsandlosses »

Unless someone beats Reedsville Eastern in the Athens Tourney I think the Lady Eagles don't lose a regular season game. They will go deep in the Tournament. They are loaded.

VBFAN#1
Riding the Bench

Post by VBFAN#1 »

In the Jackson Summer League Beaver Eastern had the most talented six girls. NY had some big hitters and Gallipolis has alot of talent.

Return to “Volleyball”