South Gallia Varsity Volleyball

lady rebel fan
Waterboy

Re: South Gallia Varsity Volleyball

Post by lady rebel fan »

They have lost to Eastern, Southern, Oak Hill, and once to Fairland.

sgrebel97
Waterboy

Post by sgrebel97 »

My compliments to the coach & the Lady Rebels team! I enjoy watching this team that is having fun playing the game, and playing as a team. You ladies play relaxed and confident, and it shows with your success. Keep it up. Katharine, "with an A" (Katie), you are awesome! Good luck ladies.

rebeljwat
Waterboy

Post by rebeljwat »

The rebels have had some exciting games this, espicially like the one against coal grove. I expect them to do well and go far after the regular season. Good Luck Ladies. Great job Rachel M.(Also)LOL

lady rebel fan
Waterboy

Post by lady rebel fan »

11-4 after the win against Rock Hill last night.

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

Great Job! Keep on winning!

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

I am glad that you are all excited about the SG program; however, I would not get too excited and equate success with your "weak" schedule with tournament succes--I doubt if you match up too well with the likes of South Webster, Eastern Meigs, Lucasville Valley, Portsmouth Clay, Eastern Pike, etc.

Wins over teams in the OVC are not really considered to be quality wins. It might look good to the program, it might get your excited about the program, and it might help build future success; but it doesn't mean you are ready to take on the "big dogs."

http://www.ohsvca.net/reportscores/view ... &Submit=GO

PeteRoseHOF
Riding the Bench

Post by PeteRoseHOF »

Snowman, if I'm correct that is the same thing the New York Giants were told during the superbowl. These are just young ladies that are representing their school and participating is good things and you want to try and knock them down. Congratulations to the South Gallia girls and your hard work and for showing classy sportsmanship throughout the season. I for one have seen your girls dive on the floor to dig a ball and run into walls to save a rally when you played St. Joseph. As fans of other schools let's learn to appreciate the competition and not put kids down for working to make themselves better and give a good name to their school and their community.

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

The girls do not set the schedule. All they can do is play their hearts out and from what I see that is what they have done. South Gallia Pride is Gallia Wide! Goodluck girls on the rest of the season.

allaces1
Freshman Team

Post by allaces1 »

The schools you mentioned from the SOC are strong schools and have been around for awhile I suppose. As for equating success with our weak schedule with tournament success you are right. OVC schools certainlty are not the strongest volleyball schools and surely aren't comprable to your SOC powerhouses.
It is great to see SG girls excited about volleyball. They have a dedicated coach who wants to build a program. She is on the right track. Some of the SG girls got involved in club ball last season and it has defintely paid off. Even some of the junior high girls participated in club.
I believe SG will take things one step at a time. If that means playing a "weak" schedule, so be it. Certainly you wouldn't expect such a "weak" team as SG to jump in and play teams like Alexander right off the bat. Give the SG program some time, they will be competetive and eventually they may even play some "strong" teams.
I guess these SG girls should not post anything at all about their season. They will just have to wait until they have a tougher schedule and maybe one with the SOC schools on it. When they are over .75 on that schedule, maybe then they can share their success.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

If you read my post, you will see that I congratulated them on their success and that hopefully that success would in return mean good things in the future...but to say they will go far after the regular season as was mentioned in earlier posts or that they are all of a sudden a powerhouse is another.

Yes, I understand you have to play one match at a time and that anything can happen--New York Giants (which by the way was a pretty good team). Yes, you have to play the schedule given to you--but you can't use that as a crutch either. You could always upgrade it. Yes, the girls should be proud, but it's one thing to congratulate and it is another to have your heads in the sky. Don't get on here and make them out to be the best volleyball players/team that Southern Ohio has ever seen. They are winning--great! It is long overdue. Your opponents record, which SG has beaten, is like 8-40.

And, yes, I do mean playing the big dogs. The only way to get better is to play the best. Otherwise, you are just clouding your perspective. You will think you are good and that what you have already accomplished is good enough. So, yes, you should play teams like Alexander and many of the better teams in the S.O.C., S.V.C., or T.V.C. (even though I doubt Alexander, for example, would schedule you...I doubt most S.O.C. schools would schedule S.G.). And, yes, that makes it hard. But there are plenty of opportunities each year to upgrade your schedule rather than playing the same "weaker" schools over and over and over--only causing your team to get weaker.

And I hope your coach realizes just because the team is something like 11-4 that doesn't mean they should have the "best seed" in the tournament over much stronger teams like South Webster, Eastern Meigs, etc.

Some of you, however, need to wake up and smell the roses and realize this site is for opinions and for observations--it isn't just to "pump up" one's self. On the otherhand, enjoy your dream world....

allaces1
Freshman Team

Post by allaces1 »

Yes. Someone posted that they thought the rebels would go far after the regular season. One step at a time. First goal is shoot to be competitive in the sectional tournament. I don't believe that anyone said SG should have a higher seed than South Webster or Eastern or even Eastern Beaver. Those are great teams with established programs. In fact that is propably the order they should be seeded in the sectional. The middle of the pack is probably up for grabs. Waterford is a nice TVC team also.
You're right this site is for opinions. As for the schedule, I beleive that if you review the schedules from the past, you will see that the AD has added competitive teams as the SG program has improved. The logical step for the program at the time was the addition of the OVC schools. As the girls become more confident and skilled, then stronger competition could be added.
Good luck rebels on the rest of your season.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

Again...I wasn't trying to disrespect any of the girls or the program...just stating reality...

Good luck Rebels...the more competitive each and every team is in the SE District the better overall volleyball for our area will become...

sidelines08
Waterboy

Post by sidelines08 »

I would like to congratulate the Lady Rebels for not only working hard...but for loving the game and their school. These young ladies work hard and are not only good athletes, but they are good students and nice girls.

Best of luck to you and your coach...it's great to see students proud of their school and enjoying the game! GOOOOOOO Lady Rebels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

And how many times has South Gallia tried to get into the SOC I and been voted down?

ryder cup champs
Waterboy

Post by ryder cup champs »

Southern beat South Gallias varsity this year in 5 but didnt play good doing it

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

I doesn't matter what conference you are in, if the girls are working hard, loving the game and then winning, you are hopefully starting a program. You have to start at the bottom and then will start earning respect. You will then be able to schedule more competitive matches. It looks like South Gallia is trying to do just that. Hats off to the team and coach.

I remember when South Webster played them in the first round of the tournament a couple of years ago. The Jeeps were the dominant team but the Rebels never gave up. Their fans drove a long way to support them and I was impressed.

Keep up the hard work South Gallia. It has taken a long time for my Jeeps to earn respect. I love to see the game of volleyball grow in this part of the state.

rebel_gurl09
Riding the Bench

Post by rebel_gurl09 »

first off, i would like to thank everyone for supporting the lady rebels. yes, we have been working hard to earn what we have, our WINS. starting from last season, we've had girls involved in club volleyball, many open gyms, and we have even traveled to Marshall University for team camp.
i just want to say to YOU snowman that i realise you probably have never been to a South Gallia Vball game. and i for one do NOT appreciate your negativity for our team. what do you think? that we get our record handed to us? that our 12 wins so far just get handed to us?!? you saying we have a weak scheule not only puts SGHS down, but EVERYONE on our schudual down as well. its not fair for you to sit on YOUR high horse and write about these girls in such a way. this is a place for opinions. it is a place for everyone to be heard. but at least have the respect for these girls, have respect for the other teams, for their oppenents who ALSO deserve POSITIVE SUPPORT have respect for our fans, our smaller schools, and please, for everyone's sake, stop being so negative and show some sportsmanship!

ryder cup champs
Waterboy

Post by ryder cup champs »

Southern beat you guys there and have only one five games yes maybe weak schedule but u still have 12 wins.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Add one more win, the girls just beat South Point 3-0.

Congrats Ladies!

allaces1
Freshman Team

Post by allaces1 »

Thanks digger for the support. We were impressed with South Webster and that game was what made us want to improve. South Webster has quality team and Darcy does a great job.

Coach Burnett is doing a great job coaching the rebels. She is making the tough decisions that need to be made in order to benefit the program and help establish the foundation of a program. Every player on the team has a role. The decisions the coach made tonight were strategic and what a varsity coach should do. The Rebels have two more games before the sectional drawing and the coach is making decisions that might help us get a higher seed than we have gotten in the past. It is still a very tough sectional with South Webster, Eastern Reedsville, Eastern Beaver, Waterford, Southern, and Miller. Although Miller's record doesn't look that great I know that Ax will have his club ready to play.

Great job girls on playing your game. You did not back down and continued to hit the ball. Great job blocking and covering the hitters and blockers. :razz: Keep it up and don't get sucked into a tipping game.

Good luck against Rock Hill on Tuesday.

Return to “Volleyball”