Alexander VS Athens

interception
Waterboy

Alexander VS Athens

Post by interception »

Was able to go last night and what a night. I thought Alexander's varsity kind of played down to the level of Athens. Alexander needs to play every game strong but they pulled out the big guns when they needed too. I also really enjoyed the JV game. I think somewhere on here a post said Athen's JV would go undefeated this year, well this will not be the case. Alexander JV took them in 3 games. Overall, it was a great night of volleyball.

spartacat
Freshman Team

Re: Alexander VS Athens

Post by spartacat »

Congrats to the Spartans and kudos to the JV Spartans! The JV game was the most exciting game of the night.

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

a great invironment for high school sports !! student sections were both having fun. congrats to the JV team at alexander. fundamentals paid off. amazing how athens can dominate in junior high and when they change to high school they get passed up.

the varsity did not play well but still won in three games that were never in doubt. completely different style of play for the two teams.

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

The one thing that I was impressed with with the Alexander JV was their level of excitement. Their girls seemed to reveal in each success and it continued to inspire them. Maybe they just wanted it more, I don't know. They didn't seem to lose their poise and that's hard to say for Freshman and Sophomores. I really enjoyed watching this team and their level of enthusiasm made me smile!

DawgDave
Waterboy

Post by DawgDave »

The Athens varsity coach raided the JV to prop up mistakes. If they had left the JV team intact the outcome would have been different. Now even the varsity squad is messed up and they seem awkward.

They peak in 8th grade because the high school has yet to invest in quality coaching or in developing their talented kids..not sure why??????????

Maybe some one should ask them.....I personally do not think they care.

It's funny when you see three Alex girls that began in the Athens system.
If they had stayed they probably wouldn't be playing anymore. :? :? :? :?

Can't blame them or anyone else drawn to a better program.

Even when Alex plays poorly they still look good.

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

Maybe maybe not on the outcome of the JV game. One will never know. I will say that the passion just didn't seem to be there for the Athens JV team. I asked who some of the more vocal leaders were on the floor for Alex Jv and were told "freshman". That's the way to build a program. Kudos to the Alex coaches. It is too bad though that things are the way they are at Athens. Hopefully, things will get better. I know people like to blame the coach but maybe their are other factors also that need to be considered.

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Post by Joedirt »

Congrat's to both Varsity and JV on not only beating Athens but also the wins over topped ranked teams over the weekend. :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

dave : the kids in the alex program really develop and improve each year. that is not the case many places. even if those kids were stil playing it is safe to say they woldnt be nearly as good as they are now. hats of to kids that work hard and smart !

the middle on the JV team at athens has a huge upside . she played well. hope she gets the training to develop her skills. she will be fun to watch in the future if the program develops to a point that kids like her can display their skills.

athens has some very nice players that played very hard last night. it was a fun night.

DawgDave
Waterboy

Post by DawgDave »

Not taking anything away from Alex - they are well coached, taught the game, and execute well...it didn't always used to be that way.

There used to be volleyball banners hanging in the Athens Gym(other sports too), but that was several years ago now. As an old Athens booster I think its a shame and you have to look at the folks making the decisions...not trying to play the blame-game here but after awhile you get to the point where it's hard not to get disappointed.

We'll be baaaaaaaack!

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

I believe the Athens JV lost @ Pickerington the 1st game, but hadn't lost until last night. Both teams played hard, Athens seem out of sync at times.

In the varsity, it seemed Alex came out a little flat, but had too many weapons for Athens to handle. Athens has some nice players, but need to get alot better.

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

I heard that the middle hitter for Athens JV is another girl that was going to come to Alex and play. Another Aleta Aces girl. Imagine that happening...Wouldn't be the first and probably not the last. Great job Alex JV. Love to see the true Alex players doing well...

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

admar-if we posted what "we heard" these posts would be full of rumors and lies......hmmmn i guess a lot of people do post I "heards". if she told you or her parents did then say that but lets leave the jealous rumors aside and lets discuss facts. i am glad that i have not seen any bashing of alexander kids that have transfered to athens, and there are several.

so if you "KNOW" something speak up. If not, your probably just starting crap that hurts kids and that young lady shouldnt have to deal with your gossip.

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

h2o wrote:admar-if we posted what "we heard" these posts would be full of rumors and lies......hmmmn i guess a lot of people do post I "heards". if she told you or her parents did then say that but lets leave the jealous rumors aside and lets discuss facts. i am glad that i have not seen any bashing of alexander kids that have transfered to athens, and there are several.

so if you "KNOW" something speak up. If not, your probably just starting crap that hurts kids and that young lady shouldnt have to deal with your gossip.

Whoops, struck a nerve. So sorry! Just saying what I had heard. Many people do the same thing on here, Not trying to cause trouble, I am sure the transfers are fine young ladies. I have no reason to be jealous of the volleyball program. I am proud of the accomplishments they have had. More power to them. It is sad to not see many TRUE Alex students on the court for volleyball though. Keep up the good work ladies!!!

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

Were there "TRUE" Alexander players playing on JV last night? If so, what positions? I didn't think there were any.

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

Didn't make it to the game last night. Glad to hear the Lady Spartans came out on top of these game. Great job to the JV team also on you win. I think the Spartan Volleyball program is going to be strong for a few more years after watching the JV team at last home game. These girls seem to enjoy the game and want to win. Its just not a sport to them... its a game and they are winners. Go Alex

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

interception wrote:Were there "TRUE" Alexander players playing on JV last night? If so, what positions? I didn't think there were any.

I believe that all but maybe 2 players on the JV team are TRUE Alex players. I might be wrong, I have been wrong before...one girl transfer from Jackson and one from FH on JV team I think. Both game to Alex last year. Anyone know different, correct me please, hate being wrong...lol

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

I would think that should hush some naysayers then and make it even more special for these young ladies. Sorry, I know I sound like a broken record but I really did love how they enjoyed playing that game. Shouldn't that be what it's all about?! I would take that enthusiasm and hard work many days over just talent.

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

alexander has been winning for a long time with hard work communication and enthusiasm. people only care when kids move to winning programs. as far as i am concerned they are all ALEXANDER kids !!! unless we want to take everyones roster and see how many kids were born in each district ? Athens might have the fewest players left if that is what qualifies as a "true" player.

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

What I call a TRUE player is one that was born in the school system they are playing in. A few years back there was ONLY Alexander player on the team and they were winning. Agreed!!!! But how many kids are at Alex now who "transfered" that are playing on the Varsity team. Several!!!!! What was wrong with the talent that the Alexander students had. They got pushed aside for the NEW Alexander students. Its just a shame. There is much talent at Alexander High School that will never be known because of the transfers who came from Aleta Aces program. Everyone of them......Hummmmmmmmmmmm. They do look good in Red and Black................... Where have I heard that before. Good luck to the Lady Spartans. You will no doubt be on your third trip to state with the talent from all over on your side. Kick butt and take names....

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Post by Joedirt »

Here is what I think happens as far as transfer's.Parent's are the one's I feel put pressure on kid's nowday's.They want their child on a winning program,period.I have seen way to many kid's jump ship from the school they have always attended in all sports, just so they could be on a winning program or they don't like the coach bla bla bla.No one need's to blame the kid's,blame parents for transfer's.
Heck if I was a star athlete and my parent's asked me to go to a winning program I would do it too if I thought I got tired of losing.Transfer's are part of the school and team that they attend now so be it.Sad though, I like to see local kid's stay where they are at.Just my opinion so don't get all mad. :aaaaa35
Now back to the game,what is Alex JV record?

Return to “Volleyball”