Athens v. Chilli

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

Athens v. Chilli

Post by Guy in the Stands »

Very sad last night.

Why are we playing Freshmen when there are upper classmen and sophomores that are way better?

How many mistakes do the Wonder Twins get (unlike the rest of the team) before they are pulled?

GO CAVS!
Riding the Bench

Re: Athens v. Chilli

Post by GO CAVS! »

Last night really showed that the Cavs were not a #5 seed in the tourney. Too bad the coaches of the drawing have their best interest in mind instead of the teams. Go Cavs on Saturday. Beat the Tanks when it really counts! You are formally released of the Saturday curse! GO CAVS!!!!!

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

Well done last night. Good luck in the next round.

GoBlue
Waterboy

Post by GoBlue »

Chilli was a five seed due to the fact that your coach did not attend the meeting to seed teams. That being said, I think the Lady Cavs will upset Unioto tihs Saturday. Best of luck, I will be at the soccer match!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

GUY — The 'wonder twins', if you are talking about who i think you are, then you are mistaken about the 'talent evaluation' when it comes to both of them. They are two of top 6 players in the entire program, easily. I have no family, no friends, no affiliation with the volleyball team what so ever - I've just covered a lot of their matches and I've seen enough to know who is good enough to be playing.

I am a little baffled by the number of players shuffled in and out of their loss to chillicothe. Athens should have stuck with what got them their. WILLIS, SCHOEPNER, WILLIS, SEYMOUR AND JAIME SINDELAIR looked really good and had some powerful kill shots Vs Chiili. WHITEHEAD and a few others I could see subbing in-and-out but you have to stick to some sort of stable line-up ... You can't sub 12 or more times per set.

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

93-

Respectfully disagree on WTwins. I've wathced a lot too and they are overrated. They are poor servers. They are unwilling to hit the floor. Both lack kill power and height. And the setter favors her sister over better hitters.

Agree that there is way too much subbing. It is obvious that the kids have no sense of continuity. Agree with many of your players who should be on the floor--Schoepner, Seymour, Sindelar. Whitehead is too inconsistent. I'd play Ealana Lein as a middle and Shelby Carleson as setter. These are the Frosh that actually deserve to be on varsity.

xcoach
Waterboy

Post by xcoach »

the w twins have favored each other since 7th grade. they were very good then but now there are better hitters and the coach (can we call her that) should be telling a setter who to set. if freshman are better than upperclass players, they should play. lein was never given a chance (i don't know why except maybe the coach has a grudge against the family). staten and christensen did well although they weren't used properly. christensen hits better from the weak side. staten can serve and pass as well as any.

lmfao
Waterboy

Post by lmfao »

Guy,
I have been following your posts and for the most part agree.
But I think the negativity toward the Willis girls is too much. I understand we are all entitled to our opinion, but please remember these are kids, and they do read this stuff. As a parent of a teenager (not in Athens City Schools), I know my daughter would be devastated and embarrassed if she was talked about like this on a public forum.
I'm sure you meant no disrespect to them personally, but think about how you would feel if you were being talked about like this at age 16.

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

In no way were my comments intended to personally attack any players. ( I admit that I do that with Coach J becasue he is so deserving). They were assessments that I suspect a lot of folks think are legitimate. These high school players are preparing themselves for the real world where you are evaluated. Your school work is graded, your transcipts are reviewed by colleges, your burger joint job manager checks your work, your coach decides your playing fate, you try out for club ball, you have to pass a test to drive, etc. I don't think these close to adult age players are not that sensitive. But, again, my aplogies if so construed-

lmfao
Waterboy

Post by lmfao »

Guy, thanks for being upfront and honest and explaining what you meant when you posted.
It might just be me, I tend to go on the defensive when it comes to kids. The kids nowadays seem a bit more resilient than back in my day!
I enjoy your posts, esp. on the topic of "recruiting!!!"

Chuckles
Waterboy

Post by Chuckles »

Seems like the Athens staff:
1) play favorites
2) hold personal grudges (that one sounds juicy)
3) ignore talent
4) can't teach the game
5) swear and scream at the kids
6) lack commitment

Anything else ?

Sound like wonderful people with commanding ability....who hired them and why are they coaching.
Can't be for the glory. Bigger question. Why do you put up with that nonsense?

:aaaaa30

I wish you all the best next season! You have some good kids that could go far. You've named several
that I agree with completely. It would be nice to see them playing. We need more competition. In the meantime
the number for the Alexander School District is (740) 698-8831...try to get on the waiting list just in case.

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

Chuckles,

I love you Man. You are one astute Spartan. Sorry, though, I don't think we can hang with you given the recruiting (see other postings) and the terrible coaching.

(1): The players can tell you who the three are. They deal with it all the time.

(2): I'd like to know what captain and four year varsity player EF did to get in the dog house? Great effort, attitude, and team leader. Thought it was very classy of Coach to pull her at the first Belpre game (in favor of a Frosh who never played EF's position) and obviously had not told her until just then. Coach Class sent EF accross the floor to borrow a JV player's used jersey.

(3) EL, hello? The only true middle on the team. She can be a dominating player in a weak position on the squad. Maybe this falls under category 2?

And what about Rochelle? Defense was shakey at times, what a help she could have been. But she wanted to spend time with her father over the summer. And Coach Class wouldn't allow it if she planned to play. Hypocritical given that Coach Class wasn't in town herself for try outs and missed a game.

(4) Half of the players can't serve.

(5) Everybody's ears are still burning from the Alexander whippin'.

(6) Misses practices for hair appointments, plays with little kids on the bench while games are going on, spends more time texting than coaching--

After this year I suspect the phone lines to Sparty world will be swamped---

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

Maybe instead of calling Alexander, you should all make a trip to a board meeting and report the activities of the coach you have know and hopefully the board will find you someone that will use the talent you have at Athens to make you a great team next year. Take the volleyball team with! They experienced these events first hand and if everyone is as fed up as you are with it all, they should dismiss this woman without thinking twice about it. You could probably even get some help from the team you are putting down to get this lady fired, since some of them heard her locker room speech...lol Your best bet is to look for another coach!!!!!!

Newsboy
Waterboy

Post by Newsboy »

That rarely happens. Look at all the schools in the news lately with all manner of coach conduct problems. It gets swept under the rug by the school administrators unless it breaks on to page 1 of the paper. Would any local paper take an interest in looking at this. NO. Besides, they always have a way to dismiss it all. I agree that it puts a school in a bad light and I'd think twice about exposing a young lady to those types of things. If you think about it, it's easier to just go to a different school where those things don't happen. And how many qualified and interested people are there in these parts to hire anyway.... "?"

DawgDave
Waterboy

Post by DawgDave »

Don't ya hate it when you see which teams are still playing any KNOW in your heart of
hearts WE (Athens) could've/should've been one of them. Just ain't right and don't make sense.
Guess it's true...we're full of should!

Bret Wrightsel
Riding the Bench

Post by Bret Wrightsel »

I thought this was an Athens vs. Chillicothe thread. Oh well, Chilli. #5 seed beat Athens # 4 seed and then beat Unioto #1 seed both on their courts and lost in district semi to Logan Elm in 3 25-21, 25-18, 25-22. Logan Elm has a tremendous player in Paige Penrod and we will be watching her on tv in a couple of years. Good luck to all that are left and enjoy the rest of the tourney and drive safely if traveling.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Guy ... I don't know what game you are watching, but how in the hell is C. W, #6 for Athens, not considered possibly one of Athens' best players? Have you not seen some of her kill shots? She ALWAYS serves over the net (CONSISTENCY!) she can block shots as good as any player on the team and remember, she's only a junior. If you can honestly say their is someone on the team that does ALL the things she does, i'll from here on out know you have no clue what your talking about and have no idea what determines a good volleyball player.

Their might be one, maybe two players that can kill a shot with C.W.'s power for the Bulldogs. Their may be a player that might serve better or pass better or block better ... BUT SHE DOES ALL OF THEM WELL - and hits with power - and can jump! She's not super flashy but SHES GOOD AND CONSISTENT and everything, which makes her valuable and one of the best players on the team. Period.

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

93-

Consitency is the biggest weakness. I'd like to know the stats of all the players on kills, blocks, passes-digs, serving %. I believe that they are kept?

Return to “Volleyball”