Why don't we...

lovevball8
Freshman Team

Why don't we...

Post by lovevball8 »

Why don't more people discuss volleyball?

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Re: Why don't we...

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

I wonder that too. I didn't watch high school v-ball at all till my daughter in college played. Now she plays it in college. It is very exciting! I enjoy watching it as much as basketball. Now the youngest daughters both play in high school and I get to my older daughters home games at Rio Grande.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

Do you want "talk" or do you "discussion"?

Unfortunately, volleyball is not a high-interest sport in the area even though certain teams have had past success and draw decent crowds--Wheelersburg, Northwest, Waverly, South Webster, Clay, Eastern.....

...and most of the fans really don't know the rules or terminology of the sport which doesn't lend itself to much discussion.

The SVC, for example, has their own website and covers volleyball along with the other sports. Heck, WKKJ actually broadcasts regular season and tournament volleyball matches.

It would be nice if the parents would at least report scores and give some basic information. I really don't think all the bad-mouthing of the coaches, officials, and players does anyone much good.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

don't want to offend anyone but with most schools there is only one fall sport...
I enjoy watching volleyball.. I loved it when my youngest daughter played in jr. high
unless the girls are winning big time the crowds are small.. let them win a few games and the crowds pick up.. still not much talk though.. :122247

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

this is unfortunately a very negative forum.... people want to bash all the successful people and programs out of jealousy....until that stops the majority of peopl will stay away and let the negative people waller in their self pitty and whine. when people start being positive more will enjoy the forum and will use it to support lacal teams and athletes!!

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

It doesn't have to be a negative forum. Start a positive thread!

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

I agree with H20. Alexander volleyball is the best team Athens County has ever seen in any high school sport, boys or girls. Yet last season, any thread that talked about them spiralled into a negative debate. That school represents the county very well on a state level, but people don't want to accept that. For crying out loud, adults get on here and critize high school girls, some of whom can't even drive yet. Pathetic.

kmrrab
Waterboy

Post by kmrrab »

If you want to go county wide and include boys in this topic.......there has been a state championship team out of Athens County. Not taking anything from Alexander.......they are a tremendous group of players.

I don't think the person that started this thread was meaning anything other than the question they posed.....why don't we talk more volleyball...I agree it should stay positive and not personal, but everyone has an opinion and the freedom to express that opinion. Unfortunately some people feel the need to criticize kids, and that is never okay in any situation.

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

kmrrab -
Not trying to start any kind of debate here, lol, but with Alexander, I know they haven't won a state title (yet) and Nelsonville-York did in football in 1981 (not sure if anyone else in Athens County has.) But I was thinking along the lines of a sustained period of excellence. Alexander has been to the regionals 5 straight seasons, and the state tourney 2 seasons in a row, including the state title game. They haven't lost a league game in about 4 seasons, and haven't lost to a team from this district since then. If anyone can present a team that trumps that success from Athens County over a sustained period of time, I'd like to know it. A lot of players have graduated in the last 5 years, but teams from this area seem to only be able to dream about beating Alexander. I guess that was what I meant by assuming they were the greatest 'dynasty' Athens County has ever seen.

But I agree, people who get on here and trash high school girls are losers, and need to check themselves. I heard of people last year who made fun of the Alexander girls when they lost in the state title game because of the 'controversy' of 'stealing players.' If I ever become that big of a loser, I hope someone calls me out and slaps me in the face.

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

Rather than make this a competition between the nelsonville football team of 81 or the alexander girls i would like to sat "my hat is off to both of you!!!" The buckeyes made us very proud in 81 ..thanks for representing our county so well and you will always be remembered !!! I am sure the team has some great memories of their own also.
Lady spartans you are an amazing group of girls . Your hard work, excellence and commitment is an example for all of us. We are so lucky to get to experience this era we are in and watch one of the truly great teams of all times in are area !!
One of the greatest things about these girls is that all of the negative comments about these girls has never cracked them or waivered their committment in any way. Thanks for setting an example for all the jealous, weak and childish adults that dont appreciate you and your accomplishments!!Cherish your teamates and your times together, you are building memories that will last forever :)

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

at logan, the past few coach's have made volleyball a participation sport and it is not really looked at as a competitive event. its basically go out have a good time and hopefully we win, if not, no big deal, and this is varsity/reserve sports we are talking about. as metallica sings "sad but true."

my hats off to warren and their continued success in volleyball. year in and year out, they have that killer instinct.

DawgDave
Waterboy

Post by DawgDave »

I'd have to agree with qualified101 on that point.

There are programs that look at volleyball less seriously. So you get a weird mix of participants and coaching decisions that don't make "volleyball" sense. That tends to be a disadvantage for girls that are into the sport. They often loose out and all to often don't get playing time.

Sadly, good players get frustrated and often drift away (quit) or like the situation at Athens, travel down 50 to Albany. If possible, a good player will seek out a good program. Much of the responsibility lies with the AD's who set the expectation. I also think sometimes it's good'ol sexism at work - it ain't football.

Of course the only saving grace is Club Ball and it seems that club ( at least the good ones) provides the opportunity for good players to gather and shine!!!!!!!!!

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

good club programs are often more fun than the HS season. some clubs dont do a very good job of training kids and it becomes a lot of travel and expense to get beat up continuously!!

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

what are some of the better clubs around?

downsy2011
Waterboy

Post by downsy2011 »

Matchpoint

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

best club depends on what you are looking for ? If you are looking for high level play Aleta is several levels above the rest in are area except for SOVC out of Adena hs which is competitive also. Often the elite kids from Aleta and SOVC will play together on national teams. If you are looking for participation matchpoint has done a nice job of getting kids playing. the cost is very similar, matchpoint was a little higher that Aleta last year. there are a couple clubs farther south in the rio/southwebster area as well as rumors about a club in jackson/vinton county. they are doing some good things there as well. good coaching is the key and hard to find.

downsy2011
Waterboy

Post by downsy2011 »

16u Aleta and 16u Matchpoint teams finished with the same ranking in regionals this year.
You cant really say one program is more elite than the other.
It all depends on the coach and the attitude of your teammates.

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

you are comparing the lowest ranking Aleta team to the highest matchpoint team. compare the other agegroups or an average and see where they stand.......you will find out that they are not even close.many of the matchpoint teams finished dead last in several tournaments. that is hard to do.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

If I am looking for a club team for my daughters to play on would a team that is tied to Marshall University be a good place to start? I would imagine the coaching would be good. I live closer to Marshall than Jackson. I figure I would save $ in gas alone.My kids have never played any "club ball" of any kind so I'm looking for some advice.

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

Better Half,

IMO, having club experience regardless of what club is the most important for young ladies that want to improve their volleyball game. Club playing kids get two seasons/year, greatly increasing their volleyball experience compared to players that only play academic VB. A winning club experience is so dependent upon how the teams are assembled by the club management and on the commitment, knowledge and the teaching abilities of the coach. I think the club at Marshall is as good as any and limiting the miles is a good reason to check it out further. There is significant cost to club ball with mileage being an ever increasing portion.

Return to “Volleyball”