Athens Talent Evaluation for Chilli Game

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

Athens Talent Evaluation for Chilli Game

Post by Guy in the Stands »

I thought I'd help Coach Dire evaluate her players since she seems to have such difficulty with it. Including the JV becasue many of them should be playing V.

By position and working down from best player :

Middle--EL, JS, AB, HH
Hitter--AS, JS, CW, KB, SW, GS (should be playing defense)
Defense--Rochell (wait, wasn't allowed to play), EF, AM, EC, VR, AM
Setter--SC, KW, KD

I bet we'd win using these rankings to put players on the court!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens Talent Evaluation for Chilli Game

Post by 93Bulldog »

Geeeez, maybe you should apply for the coaching position GITS. I mean thr job description is great, you barely work any hours and you get paid a truck load of money doing it - and since you have the ability to tell which players should be playing in front of others with out seeing them practice or know how they associate with other team members; you should do a great job!

Personally, every Athens game ive seen they used a fairly large number of players and rotated quite a bit ... I haven't seen any one player that definitly should or shouldn't be playing more than the other ... They just have balance and an influx of solid volleyball players.

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

I agree that I'd make an excellent coach. But it would be tough to deal with parents and/or fans like you who accept mediocrity. Given that, I nominate 8th grade coach JV for the position. He's coached all these girls and made them winners. I'd venture to say that he is the reason Alex is so good-

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

Oh boy, here we go again! Guy started on Alexander and now has moved on to bashing Athens. Step away from the computer dude/dudette and find another way to keep yourself entertained.

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

digger-

I'm trying to entertain myself through engaging in dialogue on a topic. But you just don't seem up to it. Guess I'll have to go back to Alex as a topic if you have nothing intelligent to offer me-

xcoach
Waterboy

Post by xcoach »

hey guy in stands, who is the setter SC and KD?

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

Guy, your not "engaging in dialogue", your bashing coaches and talking about young girls and their teams. And I don't think you know the meaning of the word "intelligent". (please don't go get your dictionary)

I'm done now. Have more important things to do.

justadreamer
Waterboy

Post by justadreamer »

I don't think it's bashing, but if you compare any team to the program at Alexander you see what's missing at yours. Athens has potential and has a very good middle school program. The high school program is no where close. And if you can believe the postings, oh my! You can copy from Alexander if you have the right people involved. Alexander will be a good team even when their senior players graduate because they have a program that's been in place for a few years. Guy in the Stands listed players, but shouldn't since that can cause problems for them, but there is a team in all that that could be something special over the next year or two with the right instruction, something Alexander is good at and explains why girls have transfered over from other schools.

Best of luck Bulldogs !!! I will predict a State Div II appearance by 2010!!!! Dreaming you say?

xcoach
Waterboy

Post by xcoach »

having watched several athens matches, i noticed that many of the freshman players should be playing jv. also, the big one, EL, should be starting on the v. athens has kept too many players that ain't good enuf. having a freshman team is a waste since tvc teams don't have one.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Guy has some valid points.

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

I believe that Athens could be a very talented team. Not sure what they need but they're some very fine atheletes. Don't give up ladies! Pull together, voice your opinions to the coach if needed (as a team) and see what happens. Good luck in tournaments...

Newsboy
Waterboy

Post by Newsboy »

What a shame to see a team break down. I think they gave up weeks ago and it looks like the coaching staff didn't have a clue. Make the same bad decisions over and over again like hitting a brick wall. Do they even know anything about volleyball? The girls aren't listening anymore to them and that says it all. Probably more of the same next year if they return. Then watch it get mean. I hope we don't loose more girls to Alexander because of this specially if they win state.

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

All good points from the last several responses. I don't know what the transfer rules are when a player has started in high school. Anybody?

Coach Dyer has played all season as if she is going to lose players to transfer-favoring two Frosh Aleta players and an Alexander transfer in particular. Interestingly, she has not played the one Frosh that could really help her out on varsity. Anyway, in doing so, it is pretty clear that she gave up on the senior and sophomore classes.

I don't see next year being any better. The junior class has a lot of tude and has been dysfunctional since its AMS days.

Coach Dyer is also turning off a lot of players with her conduct. Evidently she was in rare form after the Alexander loss. Are coaches required to sign off on the conduct code like the players?

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

i know we have our differences guy...i do believe athens always has as much talent as anyone in our area, (including this year)not sure it is recognized or developed. doesnt seem like the athens players every develop their volleyball skills. i think that you should at least consider that athens may be running more kids off than alexander is recruiting. how many consecutive years has the athens 8th grade beat alexander 6 or 7 at least !!! and usually lop sided... if kids grow up winning in junior high, they dont even consider leaving if things are anything close to fun !!! JMO, it is always easier to blame the other side of the isle rather than do the work it takes.

Guy in the Stands
Waterboy

Ok, H20,

I may have to cut you some slack, just a little, because that was a somewhat lucid and legitimate response.

It sounds like you experienced Coach D's rages first hand. I could see where that would turn off any kid. Indeed, it has with a lot of the Athens kids, so I hear.

And I agree that the pool of Athens talent is deep evidenced by the success in junior high. However, Coach J has done some swimmming in it (whether you care to admit it or not) and Coach D has otherwise failed to keep the chlorine levels up.

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

Guy, I also wanted to applaud you for your post. We also have not seen eye to eye but your post wasn't tinged with any sarcasm, you just stated the facts. If kids and parents are required to sign codes of conduct then I think coaches should. I'm not going to argue rights and wrongs but I do think that a coach should show some ethics when dealing with kids. I can guarantee you that the coach was indeed in rare form after the Alex game. I guess I'm just surprised that more kids have just not walked out and quit. You can only expect kids to take so much. Hopefully things will get better.

Return to “Volleyball”