Re: Div 4 - Lancaster

Post by cobweb »

SW up 11 - 8

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

SW wins 15 -10.

Tremendous volleyball played by each team! The JEEPS were down 0 - 2; won three in a row. WoW

basketballparent
Freshman Team

Post by basketballparent »

:aaaaa59 :aaaaa115 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41

CONGRATULATIONS GIRLS.....!!!!!!

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

2nd match Newark C vs Tusky C: NC up 1-0.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

The Green Wave won.

Gomer
Waterboy

Post by Gomer »

First let me say that I feel priveledged to have been a witness to one of the best volleyball games I have ever seen. Both, South Webster and Eastern Pike played their butts off and honestly left everything on the court tonight.
With that being said something that I heard tonight really stumped me. I knew that the district 14 player of the year was number 22 for Eastern. However, from what I saw tonight there was no way that the girl from Eastern was better than the big girl from S.W. Not trying to say that number 22 was not deserving of consideration but the S.W. girl was clearly in a league of her own. She can not only hit but can block and set extremely well. I was told that she had nearly 100 more kills than any one in district and her other stats were superior in every catagory and she is not the player of the year? It seems to me that some good ol' fashion politics were going on in this case. I know that these titles do not mean much in the big picture and will have no bearing on her future, but what happens is when these things are clearly wrong it makes the work that these girls put in seem all for nothing. In my opinion and it is just that, an opinion. The two girls were in the same game and it was clear who the better player is and quite honestly if I were coach of Eastern there is no way I could accept something that is so clearly wrong.
With all of this being said it may seem like I have a vested interest in this case, but I do not. I am a fan of the game and love to see the best of the best play a great game. I live in southern Ohio so this as good as gets for me. The one thing that I hate with a passion is when politics polute the purity of sports, and what life lessons are taught by the game when it is being taught and played correctly. When politics become involved it destroys all of the things that are good in sports. Sometimes, like tonight everything is made right and the game works it out. The better team won.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

Amen, Gomer!! Thanks for the support.

Eastern probably played the game of their lives tonight. Hats off to them, but my Jeeps pulled it out!!

I was so afraid the girls would give up after being down two but they never gave up. Our seniors stepped up and put the ball down, so proud of them.

Keep it up girls, play your game. You have a hard match on Saturday but you can do it. We love you all!!

Gomer
Waterboy

Post by Gomer »

As I have had the night to reflect on some things and to "sleep on it". I really must say that last nights game was really a great game. The thing that comes to mind is trying to categorize the level of talent in last nights game between Eastern Pike and South Webster. I have been here at the office this morning trying to think of anyone in the recent years since I have moved to southern Ohio that would be a legitimate D1 prospect. The girl from S.W. is probably as close to what I would consider a D1 type player. I have some experience with this. The school district that I come from has seen many of its athletes go to division 1 schools any a variety of sports and many of those athletes have gone on to succesful professional careers in their respective sport. The one thing that I find disturbing in this area (southern Ohio) is how many kids do not realize their full potential. This mostly occurs because of "mommy and daddy " wanting their kids to be the star and pushing them in the wrong direction so that they will stand out more. Most of the athletes that you hear about in this area that do go to a big program end up not making it because they do not know how to compete. Some kids do however make it and have succesful collegiate careers. Many of the parents do not understand that to really be succesful you have to be exposed to adversity and have the MENTAL ability to work through that and push yourself to get what you want. The other thing that hurts the good talent from this area is the level of exposure that these kids get. Do they get out and play in the elite levels of club sports? That is where the real talent is noticed. Just because you play on a club team ( J.O., ASA, AAU, etc...) does not mean that you are going to get a scholarship. You must do some research find out what clubs have the best exposure to colleges and get out of here and play with those clubs. Secondly, you have to market yourself. Believe me when I say that college coaches at the bigger programs do not come to you. You first have to make yourself known to them. Parents that have talented athletes for children must understand the responsibilty of the parent to lead them in the right direction. The worst thing that a parent can do is to "live their life" through their child and to try to push them into a direction where they have some control over ther future. These types of parents end up in one of two ways. First is your ahletic kid doesn't even achieve anything worthwhile and quit or they under achieve by going to small local schools where they do not achieve their full potential and later have many regrets or questions as to whether or not they could have done something bigger and better with their abilities. I have never talked to a kid that had received a D1 scholarship that regreted their experience in college even if they never started or was a significant player. Just to have the chance to participate in such an environment and get a free education from a major university was worth every sacrifice they had endured.
I will get off of my soap box now. I hope that the girl from South Webster wants to play at the college level and has done all that necessary to do so. Because she is really the best volleyball player I have seen recent years.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

Thanks Gomer. We're proud of Sherman and all of our players. South Webster has some girls playing in two of the best clubs around, Aleta and SOVC.

Sherman is looking at colleges and is keeping her options open. She loves volleyball and will play at the next level. At what level, she doesn't know for sure yet. She will be studying to be a veterinarian, so she has 8 long years ahead of her. That is a huge commitment to studying, interships and working with different vets outside of schooling. It's alot to think about.

Return to “Volleyball”