Post by iam4osu »

Should be some scores to report......
Love to hear them....
Most teams should be into regular season openers

cobweb
JV Team

Re: Scores and Highlights

Post by cobweb »

The Athens Messenger sports section led today with a Athens volleyball article. It looks like the Bulldogs are 2-0 on the season with victories over Columbus's Central Crossing High School and last night at home against Jackson. I just scanned the article, at lunch, but looked like Athens cruised by Jackson. Athens could easily be the "target" this year to which the other TVC-Ohio teams will be taking their best shot.

The Ohio High School Volleyball Coaches Association has a nice feature available on their website that allows for individual HS volleyball programs to enter their schedule and then post results as the matches occur. This is a very nice internet location for tracking volleyball around the state. Here's the link: http://www.ohsvca.net/reportscores/index.html. The teams in SE Ohio only sporatically participate in posting their season on the site. I wish more teams would enter/update their results. OHSVCA also is the site for the state rankings based upon the coaches poll. These rankings will not be posted for a couple weeks, a period long enough for the season to get some history.

Other action in the TVC-Hocking; South Gallia is 1-1 after, first losing at Waterford on Saturday and then handily defeating the Belpre Eagles at home last night.

The Eastern Eagles start their season tomorrow night at home against one of the TVC-Hocking's new members, Wahama, and then off to Glouster on Thursday to face Trimble, a good team in a tough place to play.

GO LADY EAGLES!!!

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

Marietta over Athens in 3 last night.

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

Saw Marietta at a summer tournament at Muskingum University. They are hugh and athletic up front. They won the summer tournament and will be tough in the league this year.

Is Marietta still in the SEOAL?

highandtight
Freshman Team

Post by highandtight »

Alexander swept Wellston in their league opener last night.

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

Marietta is still in the SEOAL this year.

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

Eastern and Wahama met in Wahama's first volleyball match last night at Eastern. I take for granted the game knowledge and skill sets of players and coaches in mature programs. Those aspects of the game are well earned, with time and hard work. I hope the volleyball program and its supporters at Wahama High School are in for the long run. Volleyball is a great team game. It is an enjoyable spectator sport, except when there is a vast difference in volleyball aptitude between the teams. Wahama VB parents and supporters, hang in there and help develop your own VB tradition.

Eastern in 3.

cobweb
JV Team

Volleyball Stats

Post by cobweb »

Look what was in the newspaper:

Fort Frye def. Frontier

25-16, 25-19, 25-17

FRONTIER (0-2): Kelsie Rinard 35 kills 5 blocks 28 digs; Mackenzie Haessly 27 kills 6 blocks; Kaylee Hurst 3 assists; Makayla Marlow 3 assists; Shannon Drake 2 blocks; Hilary Thacker 35 digs; Cameron Wolfe 27 digts; Heidi McPeek 18 digs

FORT FRYE (2-0): Taylor Buchanan 1 pt 1 block; Deidra Combs 2 assists 5 kills 7 blocks 11 digs; Sammi Hanson 14 pts 5 aces 1 assist 3 kills 3 blocks; Allison Hesson 4 pts 1 ace 11 assists; Lacey Huck 10 pts 3 aces 1 kill 3 blocks 26 digs; Hannah Schott 5 pts; Bailey Thieman 13 pts 1 ace

This just shows how some folks do not have a clue as to what a volleyball statistic is. With no discredit to program or players, the statisticians for Frontier must have been multiplying and not adding. Frontier lost the match and only scored a total of 52 scoreboard points in the match. In the statistics they scored at least 70 points on kills and blocks alone. Each kill has to be a point and each block is at least a 1/2 point (differnece between a block single or block assist). The scoreboard operator missed 18 points in a 3-set match and the Frontier did not miss any shots or serves...or there is something odd in on the stat sheets. For Frye's stats look much more reasonable.
Last edited by cobweb on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

racenut70
JV Team

Post by racenut70 »

Wellston over Ironton in 3 last night.

VBFAN#1
Riding the Bench

Post by VBFAN#1 »

Coal Grove posted wins this week with a straight set victory over Boyd County KY,
in 4 sets over Portsmouth and 4 sets over an improved Rock Hill team. Great job Hornets.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

I'm with you Cobweb. All coaches should be given lessons in stat keeping and then pass it down to those keeping them. I know sometimes that may be another player or student but they need to be kept accurately. It amazes me sometimes when I read our local paper and see some stats on teams.

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

Nicely put..... Knowing that alot of times the stats never add up.
Knowing alot of coaches have younger girls taking stats during a game.
Its a mess.....

bballfool
Freshman Team

Post by bballfool »

South Gallia Rebels are on a roll, posting their third win of the season last night against Southern.

Go Lady Rebels!!!!!

VBFAN#1
Riding the Bench

Post by VBFAN#1 »

This is what I have read or heard. It would be nice if more interested volleyball fans posted some results since the local papers are very selective on volleyball scores which consists of usually no more than two games mentioned. I hope my results below are correct.
Coal Grove over St. Joe in 3 sets.
South Point over Coal Grove in 4 sets on tuesday.
Fairland over Rock Hill in 5 sets on tuesday.
River Valley over Chesepeake in 3 sets.
I heard Ashland KY beat South Point in 3 sets?
I believe River Valley beat Fairland earlier is this correct?
Again to the posters lets share some results. Thanks.

OUBobcat
Riding the Bench

Post by OUBobcat »

Some results from Saturday 9/18...

Wheelersburg def. Washington court house
WCH def. Unioto
Wheelersburg def. unioto
Southeastern def. Waverly
Clay def. rock hill
West def.rock hill
Clay def. west