Southeast District D3 Tournament thoughts....

Alan Parsons
Waterboy

Southeast District D3 Tournament thoughts....

Post by Alan Parsons »

The Southeast District is finally (its been long overdue) going to the Super Sectional format! All D3 teams will now be seeded from 1 to 31. I’m sure all the coaches will be doing due diligence when they seed out all 31 teams (sarcasm alert). With the 12 winners of the Super Sectional alignment advancing to District tournament play, here are my top 12 seeds:

1 Adena 16-0 key wins: Vinton Co, Westfall, Zane Trace, Huntington
2 Wheelersburg 14-1 key wins: South Webster, Zane Trace, North Adams, Northwest 2x
3 Westfall 12-2 key wins: Zane Trace, Huntington
4 Alexander 12-3 key wins: Circleville, Nelsonville York 2x
5 Zane Trace 12-5 key wins: Huntington, Southeastern 2x
6 Huntington 11-5 key wins: Zane Trace
7 New Lexington 9-6 key wins: Nelsonville York
8 Nelsonville York 15-3 key wins: Vinton Co., Eastern (Reedsville)
9 Eastern (Reedsville) 12-5
10 Northwest 15-3
11 Southeastern 9-8 key wins: Huntington, North Adams
12 North Adams 14-4

Now all this is fluid as we have some interesting matches left to play. Burg vs Huntington tonight, Northwest vs North Adams, Adena still has to play ZT, Huntington, and Westfall. I think they will handle both ZT and Huntington. If Westfall beats Adena however, Wheelersburg takes the 1 seed, Westfall 2 seed, and Adena the 3 seed. That said I feel those 3 teams will be District champs and will be playing in Logan. Look for Alexander and ZT as my sleepers to get a District title.

Realist
Freshman Team

Re: Southeast District D3 Tournament thoughts....

Post by Realist »

Looks pretty good. I think I'd have Alexander up the the 3 and maybe move ZT down a few. ZT swept by VC, Wheelersburg and they lost 3-1 to a full strength Huntington team. The top 10 of this sectional are all very solid teams. I think I would have:

1. Adena
2. Burg
3. Alexander
4. Westfall
5. Nelsonville-York
6. Zane Trace
7. New Lex
8. Northwest
9. Huntington
10. North Adams
11. Southeastern
12. Fairland

Alan Parsons
Waterboy

Post by Alan Parsons »

I agree with you Alexander could definitely be a top 3 seed. I also missed another one of their key wins with D2 Gallia early in the season.

I still like where I put ZT and Nelsonville York. But I would move NY up a spot if its true Huntington’s stud middle is out for the year. ZT didn't lose to Huntington 3-1, just the opposite happened on Oct 1st with ZT winning that match 3-1 with Bayse in the line up. True, ZT got swept by VC and Nelsonville beat VC 3-2. VC also had 55 unforced errors in that match. If you look at the history of ZT vs NY the last 2 years head to head ZT has swept NY 2 years in a row (2019- 16,23,18 and 2018- 10,13,20) with pretty much the same line up they have this year. ZT is my sleeper pick because they are a motivated team - 6 Seniors who have played in the last 2 District finals coming up short both times. They have yet to play well this year and if they catch fire at the right time look out...

I have New Lex ahead of Nelsonville York because New Lex beat NY 3-0. Granted that match was early Sept. but in good conscience I can’t rank a team in front of one that it hasn’t beaten. New Lex is interesting because of being 9-6 and 5-4 in their league (6th). They play in a tough Muskingum Valley league. 5 out of the 6 of their losses were to teams with a combined record of 61-9. It will be interesting in how they fare in the tourney.

#Girlsrule
Riding the Bench

Post by #Girlsrule »

This will be interesting. Tonight's matches will be key considering voting must be done by Friday evening.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

What big games are tonight?

Alan Parsons
Waterboy

Post by Alan Parsons »

ZT beats Adena on the road, 25-18, 25-21, 18-25, 26-24. Have I mentioned they are a sleeper team to win a District title? Could they be peaking at the right time? Stay tuned as the volleyball turns

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

Great win for ZT. You may be right about them being a sleeper!

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Realist wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:47 am Great win for ZT. You may be right about them being a sleeper!
Not sure they are a sleeper. Most had them battling Adena & Westfall for the league championship. They've knocked off 2 undefeated teams lately in Adena & Miami Trace. Don't think anyone is taking them lightly.

Return to “Volleyball”