American legion state baseball tournament

Regulator
All Conference

Re: American legion state baseball tournament

Post by Regulator »

Tyler_Durden wrote:i don't see lancaster as being ideal long term. beavers field is nice, but the drop off of quality diamonds after that is significant. also, the american legion never charges admission for their state tournament. hope mr. beavers realizes that.

i vote for ross county.

athens chamber of commerce should be laying a heavy hand on ou and the ou athletic department. carbone and the university needs to be held responsible somehow (perhaps they can adjust the revenue lost with his salary). if i were an athens resident i would not support one ohio university event because of this. their idiocy, egos and pride just lost you the single-most highest grossing event of the year in your city.

OU field is nice, but Dalton field is a considerable drop off!!
Athens is just OK!!

As for the highest grossing event, I would say the Ohio High School Basketball Districts and Regionals tops anything else.

Plus, OU has the right to decline playing on their field. Yes it is just a field, but it is their right. And I am going to guess there is more to it then Carbone saying NO!

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

you're right about dalton in athens. although last summer it was significantly better. i would highly doubt, however, that you would be right about the district basketball finals. that is a nice event, but...
    how many basketball teams + families spend the night in athens for a week?
    plus, during that week shop in athens, eat in athens, etc.
    add to that all the other baseball fans, some of which even admitted on here, take off work to go spend the week in athens during the tourney.
i doubt the basketball tournament even comes close to out-grossing the legion baseball tournament.

you're also right about there most likely being more to the story. such as... being told "you can't play on this field today" and just hours later one of the state tournament directors witnesses tractors on said field mowing it. but you're right, i'm sure there's probably even more to it than that.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

Chillicothe would also be an excellent site with the VA Stadium and all the fine high school fields in Ross County. There are plenty of hotels, food establishments, etc. there and since they having been holding the MAC Tourney there the last few years, they can easily handle the legion tourney. Chilli or Lancaster are both good sites with plenty of experienced people knowing how to put on such events.

I don't think you can blame any one thing or person for what happened to Athens and the people that put on the tourney in Athens are top-notch. OU is a great school-they just need to wake up a little in the PR department and regain a little of the human touch, particularly in southeast Ohio. They have become somewhat complacent in that regard and I fear that it came back to bite them in this instance. Hopefully, they can get the tourney back someday as it really was a great thing for the city of Athens, the University and the kids from all over the state. Having it as someone mentioned was a great way to bring potential customers to campus-Great PR for OU.

History is a great teacher and hopefully they will learn from this history lesson.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

i think chillicothe would be the perfect place

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

OU took a beating at the State Legion meeting this past Sunday. WOW! As of now, the State Tournament will be held in Lancaster. The tournament will be played on Fisher Catholic's field, Lancaster High's field, and of course Beavers field.

I too, think that Chillicothe would be a perfect place. The VA, Unioto's, Adena, and so on. However, someone from the Chillicothe area would have to get in touch with someone from the state, in order to Chillicothe to hold the tournament. It would mean ten of thousands of dollars to the local economy.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Fisher Catholic's field is Beavers Field.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:OU took a beating at the State Legion meeting this past Sunday. WOW! As of now, the State Tournament will be held in Lancaster. The tournament will be played on Fisher Catholic's field, Lancaster High's field, and of course Beavers field.

I too, think that Chillicothe would be a perfect place. The VA, Unioto's, Adena, and so on. However, someone from the Chillicothe area would have to get in touch with someone from the state, in order to Chillicothe to hold the tournament. It would mean ten of thousands of dollars to the local economy.

We also have Post 757, Ross Co Park (Post 62) Bolmer Field and Chillicothe's new baseball field all within 3 miles of each other.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

Any beating OU took at the state legion meeting was justified. Inexcusable and totally unacceptable are their actions in this matter. The fine citizens of Athens deserved better than this after all these years.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Bozo wrote:Fisher Catholic's field is Beavers Field.

Fisher Catholic plays their games at Beavers but they also have a field of their own. Two years ago it was in very poor condition. Perhaps it has improved. No offense intended to Fisher Catholic or Lancaster High but LHS is similar to Dalton, Fisher is not as good.

Beavers Field is top notch.

The Chillicothe area would not be a bad choice...

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Chillicothe has six or seven fields within 10 miles of each other that are average or above.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

One also has to consider that there most likely would be no rain outs using Chilli VA memorial field. Last years regional was played there with both games of the final played in the off and on pouring rain. Only issue with the VA is the Paints would have to be scheduled away the entire week.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

I'm surprised it's taken this long to move the tournament out of Athens. Every year is the same problem with using OU's field. I hate to see to see it leave Athens, but it just gets to be too big of a headache for the State Legion people and also the people who help out with the tournament from Athens.

Chillicothe has a great region for hosting the tournament. I look for it to be there within the next couple of years and will probably stay there for years to come.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

Well said baseball stud 24.

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

From the article I read in the Lancaster Eagle Gazette it sounds like they want to keep the tourny in Lancaster for years to come.

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/ar ... -Lancaster

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

lhsfan97 wrote:From the article I read in the Lancaster Eagle Gazette it sounds like they want to keep the tourny in Lancaster for years to come.

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/ar ... -Lancaster

I hope not. I do believe that there are forces inside Lancaster that will do everything to keep it.

Bozo wrote:Fisher Catholic's field is Beavers Field.

Fisher Catholic may play their games at Beaver's Field, that is probably because the Fisher Catholic field we played on in 2008 was one of the worst in the Southeast District. It was terrible, rocky, rutty, and rolling. However, I am told that Fisher Catholic has installed a new field, behind the crappy one, I do not know if this is true, Maybe someone can tell us.

Chillicothe would be a great location. Double digit numbers in fields to chose from, several hotels, plenty of shopping opportunities, a plethora of restaurants and a Roosters. Need I say more?

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

I did not know that Fisher had their own field.
I just knew that they played at Beavers all the time.

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

Is Ohio University ever going to issue a statement as to what happened to cause them to lose this great event or will it be buried with their men's track and field program?

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

Soon to be all club sports.....

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

bulldog0909 wrote:Soon to be all club sports.....

At the rate they are going, you may very well be correct 09.

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

Already trying to get rid of OU hockey,cant say i watch a lot of hockey but OU wins championships year in and year out. Anything for scholarship money lol.

Return to “Baseball”