Logan Baseball

moonshine
SEO

Logan Baseball

Post by moonshine »

Should the Board of Ed. disband the baseball program or find a long term Head Coach and let him develop a program. Please comment!

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

Re: Logan Baseball

Post by Late 70s Logan grad »

I don't like to get into you-know-what matches on here, but I happened to see this and, yes, I will reply.

What makes you such an expert? No, the team isn't winning games. There's not a lot of experience and they're already having a tough enough of a time as it is. Why pile on them with such a snide remark? Why make a bunch of 14, 15, 16 and 17-year-olds feel worse than they already feel?

And what makes you judge and jury? Are you going to say that about any other sport where the team isn't winning enough games to suit you? Do you ever show up to games? Do you do anything to support the team? Do you do anything to maybe help the program out? All you do is come on here and make snide remarks and it gets really old.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Chiefs probably played one of their best games of the year this evening before losing 17-7 at Gallipolis. Logan trailed 12-7 before a short rain delay. GAHS scored five runs in the bottom of the fifth after play was resumed. Chiefs pounded out 10 hits in the loss.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

I don't think to problem is with the high school program. The coaches are doing what they can with what they got. As in any Program these days you have to have a good feeder program. Rec ball is no longer a good source for a program. If a school systems want to keep depending on rec programs then the hs coaches HAVE to take there time to work with coaches/parents that are coaching in the feeder ranks. The hs coaches are having to start over every yr with fundamentals. Fundamentals that players should be getting the peewee sports. It's the same in the education world so should it be any different with athletics?

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

This is high school... Good teams come and go in all sports.. Logan isn't much different than any other school, they will get better...
A coach can sometimes be the problem, but I don't think that is the case here... In fact I bet it isn't...

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Late 70s Logan grad wrote:I don't like to get into you-know-what matches on here, but I happened to see this and, yes, I will reply.

What makes you such an expert? No, the team isn't winning games. There's not a lot of experience and they're already having a tough enough of a time as it is. Why pile on them with such a snide remark? Why make a bunch of 14, 15, 16 and 17-year-olds feel worse than they already feel?

And what makes you judge and jury? Are you going to say that about any other sport where the team isn't winning enough games to suit you? Do you ever show up to games? Do you do anything to support the team? Do you do anything to maybe help the program out? All you do is come on here and make snide remarks and it gets really old.
Number one I am not piling it on the kids or coaches! I feel a good program begin with an outstanding youth program, in any sport! and yes back in the day I did coach the youth of the area but you also need support from the entire commuinity. Now my question, What makes you an expert. I will say this we need a Jr program and the resources to develop it maybe a sports particpation levey or hit the businesess in the area. We need coaches like Marion Allen, Kelly Stillwell, George Hummel and most important youth coaches. Buddy you better look at yourself and ask the question have I done everything possible today to help the youth of this area!

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

javagt wrote:This is high school... Good teams come and go in all sports.. Logan isn't much different than any other school, they will get better...
A coach can sometimes be the problem, but I don't think that is the case here... In fact I bet it isn't...
My point is that we coaches thats willing to stay year after year like Ron did!
Last edited by moonshine on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

1: "Should the Board of Ed. disband the baseball program or find a long term Head Coach and let him develop a program. Please comment!"

Number 1: The fact you would even ask this question is a slap in the face of the kids and coaches who are working hard to try to improve. You, being on the outside looking in, have no idea how difficult it has been for the school to find a long-term head coach. And would you dare walk up to those kids and those coaches prior to (or after) one of their games and say such a thing to them face-to-face? I think not. All you are doing is piling on. As a writer said, it goes in cycles and development needs to be much better at the lower levels, which is all true.

2: "Buddy you better look at yourself and ask the question have I done everything possible today to help the youth of this area!"

Number 2: I have devoted most of my adult life, both as a long-time volunteer coach and through my job, to the youth of this community and I don't hide behind screen names when I do so... so don't give me that. I'm a retired youth coach, and I see at least 80 LHS athletic events a season, including baseball (how many baseball games have you seen this season?). I seldom get on here and fire back when I see some of the stuff that gets posted on here, but this is one time where this was simply too much.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

THE COACHINBG STAFF IS FINE! a new staff 99% of the time always starts out slow. cut them some slack.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

You guy's are missing the point! Its about the jr high and youth programs. Late 70's I will not go as low as you and make this personal. Let's push to get this program better!

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

Thank you, 1987Chieftains! Exactly my point!

No one disagrees that additional teaching of fundamentals needs to be done when the kids are young. When the kids don't get taught proper fundamentals until they are freshmen in high school, that lowers the window of opportunity.

But raising the question of going to the school board to do away with the program is absurd!

And as for making this personal, 'schein, you took a potshot at the kids and the coaches in your original post by suggesting as such... and since you questioned whether I had done anything for the kids in a later post, I made my point in response. If you have anything further to say to me, I think you know where you can reach me, but I sincerely doubt if I hear from you.

And I know from talking to him about this matter that the LHS athletic director would love to talk to you about the Logan baseball program.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Late 70s Logan grad wrote:Thank you, 1987Chieftains! Exactly my point!

No one disagrees that additional teaching of fundamentals needs to be done when the kids are young. When the kids don't get taught proper fundamentals until they are freshmen in high school, that lowers the window of opportunity.

But raising the question of going to the school board to do away with the program is absurd!

And as for making this personal, 'schein, you took a potshot at the kids and the coaches in your original post by suggesting as such... and since you questioned whether I had done anything for the kids in a later post, I made my point in response. If you have anything further to say to me, I think you know where you can reach me, but I sincerely doubt if I hear from you.

And I know from talking to him about this matter that the LHS athletic director would love to talk to you about the Logan baseball program.
Let's make this clear! I did not take a potshot at the kids! And also I did not recommend disbanding the program. And further more I do not know where to reach you. One other thing I am currently away from this area, but as General Douglas MacArthur said" I Shall Return"

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

LOL Fair enough. I don't like what you said, you don't like what I said. When you return, Gen. MacArthur, I'm not hard to find! Remember Harry Truman? LOL

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

CONGRADS TO THE TEAM AND COACHES IN THE 1ST WIN OF THE SEASON!!! the ball in starting to roll.

Seosportsfan
Waterboy

Post by Seosportsfan »

Logan's problem is the feeder programs. You guys have a lot of talent. Two kids from Logan play on our (Nels) baseball team because they want to learn and they want to play. We start in Feb in the gym and start tournaments in April, play our rec league in Nels and then do all star tournaments until end of July. We played 63 games last year. They can't get that in Logan so they are going to either the Sandlot or to Nels to play. BTW logangrad, the Sandlot league does have jr high ball. Nels, Athens, Alex, Trimble, VC, Meigs, Parkersburg, Southern, Eastern, etc play. Somebody just needs to take the initiative.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Logangrad wrote:And FWIW, it SEEMS to me anyway, that anytime there is an issue with a coach, or problem with a team not winning, or some kind of pot to be stirred, Moonschein you seem to be there to hand out the biggest spoon. I would wager that where ever you are, alot of people would hope you stay there.
Hey grad please reread my orginal post I do not have an issue with the coach or losing. All I want to do is find answer to the baseball program. Furthermore if the supporters would help devlop a strong youth program and at least a jr high program our baseball team might win a few game and then before we all know it, we will be champs. It is easy to dump on someone who is willing to ask the tough question!
Last edited by moonshine on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Baseball”