What a mess !!! South Point/Chesapeake 5/2/11

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

What a mess !!! South Point/Chesapeake 5/2/11

Post by ChessyFan09 »

What are some opinions on the horrible ending of this game ? BEYOND A WIN OR LOSS,this game ended badly due to the bullying attitude of the umpire that totally went off on the SP pitcher when the pitcher asked to dry off the rubber after the rain ended .It was the top of the 7th with SP leading 7 to 4.The pitcher was trying to warm up and the rubber was obviously slick and he apparently asked to dry it off before pitching (safety concern) and was refused by the umpire.The umpire screams for all to hear something like 'If he doesn't want to pitch then that's it -I'm calling the game !!! ' and then the arguing started with a SP mom in the face of tbe bully,all 100 pounds of her,and for the next 15 minutes the kids stood around not knowing what to do.Both teams wanted to play and SP was going to even finish with 8 players due to an injury in the bottom of the 6th(hope he's OK).The OVC should review this guy and hopefully decide not to allow him to further umpire in the league.He's there to be seen and be paid and not there for the good of the kids or the game.This again is beyond winning or losing with neither team having a stellar record. Even if the teams were in contention for a state championship this was badly handled,and an apology should be issued to both teams and their fans. What does anyone else think ?

osumufan
SE

Re: What a mess !!! South Point/Chesapeake 5/2/11

Post by osumufan »

So was the game finished or what? Sounds like a circus not a game! LOL

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Sounds like it's a finished game, with SP winning 7-4.

Also, I wish I could say that this is surprising to hear about an umpire, but doesn't surprise me one bit.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

OSUMUFAN- I don't know and I was there. I assume it was considered a complete game with SP winning since they were ahead. Another thought is that since the "problem" was on the SP side would this be a forfeit ? That's not right either. As I said earlier this goes beyond winning and losing. It satisfies only a big ego that essentially says " I'm taking my plate broom and going home " and hurts both teams who just wanted to play ball. At the very least an anger management class should be in order. Believe me this is not this individual's first outburst nor will it be his last if he is allowed to continue unchecked. Yes, he needs to maintain order but this caused chaos and didn't solve anything.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

That's just pitiful!!! and I think I know the ump you are talking about I saw him throw a fit another time as well! sad really both teams aren't really that good and probably won't have more than one game in the sectional and just want to finish a game! the seniors are playing the last fews games in their career!

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

I'm not trying to take up for the umpire and I don't follow either of the teams involved but...

I have never seen a pitcher complain because the rubber was wet and slippery. I've see them complain about wet baseballs, a slick muddy mound or holes too deep but never about the condition of the rubber. Most pitchers have very little contact with the top of the rubber and actually push from the front of it.

I'm not picking sides but perhaps there is more to the story between this umpire and the pitcher....

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

I don't know how much experience this pitcher has, so maybe it's more of an issue to him than most guys.It takes a lot of guts to stand out there and have a missile launched back at your head so any reasonable request deserves consideration to keep your balance and probably protect yourself as much as possible,plus being as effective a pitcher as possible under the circumstances and conditions.The umpire's action remain undefensable.And remember- I'm from the other team.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

I asked who was pitching for SP last night and this young man is not one to have any attitude. He always has a smile on his face. And yes he doesn't pitch much and hasn't pitched varsity until this year. I remember a few years ago I saw an ump @ the Peake throw a hissy fit in a game maybe it is the same guy? Maybe he jsut has something against Sp I mean of the Peake fans are taking up for SP then you know it was bad! LOL

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

I don't know about that game but this year @ Peake he ripped SP's Dickess for wanting to throw a particular ball which is reasonable unless it holds up the game unneccessarily. Yes there are times when we must bond together for what's right !

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I say just make sure your AD's know who he is and just don't hire him anymore. Spread the word to other AD's and have them not hire him and he will eventually have no where to umpire.

cabindweller
Waterboy

Post by cabindweller »

ChessyFan09 wrote:OSUMUFAN- I don't know and I was there. I assume it was considered a complete game with SP winning since they were ahead. Another thought is that since the "problem" was on the SP side would this be a forfeit ? That's not right either. As I said earlier this goes beyond winning and losing. It satisfies only a big ego that essentially says " I'm taking my plate broom and going home " and hurts both teams who just wanted to play ball. At the very least an anger management class should be in order. Believe me this is not this individual's first outburst nor will it be his last if he is allowed to continue unchecked. Yes, he needs to maintain order but this caused chaos and didn't solve anything.
I completely agree with the anger managment class, if the OHSAA makes coaches who get booted from one game have to attend a class, I believe the umpires should be required to take a class if they get out of hand. Now granted I think you need both coaches to agree the ump was out of control in any given circumstance and report him. If this were to happen though let's make sure and keep seperate classes for the coaches & umpires in case of any bad blood. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

So the umpire had 15 minutes to argue with fans, but didnt have 2 minutes to dry off the mound?

Sounds like the umpire is a complete boob.

If there were baserunners the pitcher should not have been slipping. He should have been throwing from the stretch. But if there were no runners on base, I can see the rubber being slick if he was going full windup.

Regardless, the umpire would have been in a real mess if they kid would have broken an ankle after the ump refused his simple request.

Some people are better on the couch than behind the plate.

Return to “Baseball”