=ATHENS-2012 TVC-OHIO CHAMPS=

questionmark
All Conference

=ATHENS-2012 TVC-OHIO CHAMPS=

Post by questionmark »

Congrats to the 2012 Athens Bulldogs!
By beating Nelsonville-York (12-2) tonight behind Homeruns by Skylar Schwarzel & Chris Ford, and a strong pitching performance by Jacob Schriner, the Bulldogs have earned their 3rd TVC-OHIO Baseball Championship in the past 4 years.

Congrats to Coach Fred Gibson & Chris Stewart on bringing another Championship Home!

Great Job This Season to the Boys!

Seniors
#3 Austin Ziolkowski
#4 Tyler Lutz
#6 Cody Mac
#9 Casey Grimm
#10 Chris Ford
#12 Jacob Schriner
#13 Ryan Ervin
#19 Austin Howard

Juniors
#1 Tyler McDade
#2 Skylar Schwarzel
#5 Tanner Wood
#7 David Koller
#11 Daniel Evans
#14 Alex Staron
#16 Joe Fournier
#18 Kyle McCarthy
#20 Calen McCarthy
#22 Jared Elmore

I have had a blast coaching you boys from the Junior Varsity level, to seeing you complete one of your goals in winning the League Championship!
Next Goal...Play-Offs!

G.W.A.
All Conference

Re: =ATHENS-2012 TVC-OHIO CHAMPS=

Post by G.W.A. »

Congrats to Athens on your league title. Now back it up with a deep tourney run
Good luck

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Understand the Gallipolis-Athens game halted by rain Tuesday will not be made up. I would like to have seen how that one would come out.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Congrats but with move in players like Chris Ford every year and as many kids that they have they should always win the TVC.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

greatone wrote:move in players like Chris Ford every year
Who are the others?

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

We WIN the TVC because we have the best program from Top to Bottom.
We have youth programs that get kids playing the game early, and that outsiders from other Counties travel to so they too can become better at playing baseball.
We WIN the TVC because we have consistency from Top to Bottom.
We have had a Head Coach at Athens who has been here multiple decades. Dedication pays off in the end.
We WIN the TVC because we have assistants who strive to understand the game better so we can teach the game better.

We WIN the TVC because that is the LEAGUE we play in now and have for the past 4 years, and that is not going to change.
What has changed is the TVC has become one of the best League's in ALL-Sports in Southeastern Ohio.
Don't short change what these kids have done this year and the past 4 years because you have personal issues with the league they are in...

Don't forget, as we strive to have the most TVC-Ohio Baseball Championships, we still have the MOST SEOAL Baseball Championships...

Whatever Team, Whatever League, Whatever Challenge...We Take our Baseball Seriously at Athens!

ATHENS BASEBALL is 41-3 in League Play since joining the TVC-OHIO...(thx for the Fix D1)
It is Time to start adding Tournament WIns to our resume!
"Just WIN Baby!"
Last edited by questionmark on Fri May 04, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

questionmark wrote:ATHENS BASEBALL is 39-3 in League Play since joining the TVC-OHIO...
41-3

2009: 12-0
2010: 11-1
2011: 8-2
2012: 10-0

Good post questionmark.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

BIG FISHSmall Pond

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Same Tired Cry Boilermaker...Vinton County, Alexander & Meigs are close in size to Athens, especially Vinton County, yet no one cries wolf about them? You're argument is flawed. By your standards, Vinton County should also be on top of the Standings year in and year out. It's more than flawed numbers, its about THE PROGRAM!

We played one heck of a schedule this season...
Non-League
Logan Twice - Won (10-0) & (9-0)
Marietta - Won (4-3)*
Maysville Twice - Split (Win 10-0) & (Loss 6-1)
Liberty Union - Won (5-1)
Jackson Twice - Won (13-0) & (13-1)
Lorain - Lost (5-4 in 10 innings)
Sheridan Twice - Split (Won 6-1) & (Loss 12-11)
Warren - Lost (8-7)
Galia Academy - Suspended Rain (Tied @ 1)

League
Meigs Twice - (TVC-O) Won (9-7) & (6-5)
Vinton County Twice -(TVC-O) Won (14-0) & (16-3)
Nelsonville-York Twice - (TVC-O) Won (12-1) & (12-2)
Alexander Twice - (TVC-O) Won (13-3) & (7-6)
Wellston Twice - (TVC-O) Won (12-0) & (12-0)

These boys busted their tails this season to EARN an (18-4) Record and a #2 Seed in the Play-Offs...
Our Junior Varsity also worked hard to amass a (14-2) Record. Championships start at the JV Level!

I must ask Boiler? How can you expect to have a Winning Program when you don't put a focus on having a Varsity AND Junior Varsity Squad?
You cannot get better at this game without playing it. You need games, tons of games. You need at-bats, ground balls, pop flies, pitching and pitching and pitching...not people on here crying about old news. Get out there, get kids interested, get kids playing! It is no Secret, the reason why Athens has Great Baseball is because Athens offers Baseball at every age...

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Boiler - nobody at Athens cares what you think. We are good for the league and most know it except for those looking for excuses. How many league championships has Athens kept Wellston from winning because of the switch to the TVC? Maybe you should play in a league by yourself.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The answer is 1

(2012 softball)

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Because of size Athens should win baseball, softball, track, golf, cross country, tennis, Wrestling and football every year. Besides Vinton who else is DII, who else has a college to draw in transfer of parents? I"m not saying it's bad at all just that should always win. someone said big schedule this year? Logan, jackson and Marietta aren't very good at all. It was a good move for Athens to get into the TVC because they now can put many banners up in the gym which they couldn't do in a league their own size. Again that is a good thing for morale.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Marietta (13-10)
Jackson (15-10)

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'not very good'.

How about Sheridan, ranked in the top 10 in the state in the coahes poll and Athens beat them 6-1? is that any good? Is Meigs (20-4) "not very good?" ... Athens swept both games from the Marauders ... Liberty Union has been ranked in the dispatch coaches poll all season: Athens beat them at their place 5-1 ... Alexander, Marietta & Jackson are all solid teams with winning records ... IMO ... Its not like they are are the 'little sisters of the poor' ... lol ... Plus, the schedule is made out in advance, usually Marietta, Jackson and Warren are some of the better DII teams in the area ... Athens had them AND Gallia scheduled - plus Sheridan & Maysville - plus Liberty Union - plus Lorain (Cleveland)

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Greatone -- let us keep this focused on baseball seeing this is a baseball topic and on the baseball forum...

Your 'Size' argument again I might add is flawed...
The only answer I need to show that IS Vinton County...but lets expand
If your statement were true, then the League championship would be Athens vs. VC, year in and year out...but is it?
No, because like ALL sports you can have all the numbers in the world, but if you don't have a quality PROGRAM that means nothing.
Athens has had a solid, stable Head Coach for over the past 20 plus years and because of this, they have won a lot of Baseball Championships in both the SEOAL and TVC, and have done well in the Play-Offs.

Vinton County on the other hand has equally the same player draw, but haven't built a strong baseball foundation. They rarely have a Junior Varsity team, and that can put your PROGRAM back many years as a result. Without a PROGRAM, you cannot expect results even if your school has a decent number of boys or girls to pull from.

College Draw?
Two things on this.
1. Any College parent coming to Ohio U. has the choice to PICK where their son or daughter may attend High School. Athens, Alexander, Nelsonville-York, Federal Hocking or Trimble. THEY have the choice, not Athens.
2. Since 2000, we have had (2) move-in players that you claim to be more like (200). Grant Gregory (AHS '04) and Chris Ford (AHS '12). Gregory played 3 years of football and basketball and 4 years of baseball for Athens and Ford is finishing up his one year of baseball. That is a FAR CRY from your EVERY YEAR statement.

The Truth...
We Here at Athens have built great Programs from Bottom to Top. Our Parents, many who have kids on this years team created the Athens Sandlot League for kids to play Baseball in the Spring and Summer time. We are seeing the HARD WORK of parents who have put in the time to make these leagues pay off big for our baseball program. Get them outside and let them play, it is the only way to see them get better at the sport they are playing...

Lastly,
Athens never had any problems putting banners up for Baseball.
We have 24 SEOAL Baseball Championships to our name. That is the MOST Championships in Baseball. Next I believe is Jackson at 14 or so but I could be terribly wrong on this and someone could please correct me, but you see I care a less about any other school, I care about Athens, just the way I was raised I guess...worry about your own problems not someone elses...

I played in the SEOAL for 4 years and Coached in it for 3 years.
We were in the thick of the Championship almost every season.

Let us not forget these beautiful tidbits...
Nelsonville-York left the SEOAL to join the TVC.
Wellston left the SEOAL to join the TVC.
Meigs left the SEOAL to join the TVC.
River Valley left the SEOAL to join the TVC.
Wahama left their league to Join the TVC.
South Gallia left their league to join the TVC.

Athens is not the only team to leave the SEOAL to see success in a New League.
NY has since dominated Football since joining the TVC.
Wahama is great addition in the TVC-Hocking Division.

The TVC as a League is the best league in South Eastern Ohio right now.
Travel is not a burden.
New intercounty Rivalries are being created.
Fans at the games in All Sports are as high as ever.
In a time where MONEY is tight for all schools, you need those gates to help.

Now, back to something that really matters...
GOOD LUCK to ALL the TVC OHIO & TVC HOCKING teams in their Respected Play-Offs...
Represent the TVC!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

The only thing I'll argue is the TVC being the best league in SEO. Travel is a burden for the Hocking Division when you add South Gallia and Wahama for sports other then football and basketball. Again it was the best thing Athens could do. You mentioned those other teams living leagues to join the TVC...there's a reason. Wahama didn't have a league, River Valley want's in because of the beating they take in the OVC and I don't think South Gallia was in a league either. As for the other teams leaving the SEOAL at the time the left you can look back and they were taking a beating and wanted in a league they could win in. Winning is the main goal. If a team is winning school spirit is up, parent particpation is up and that can only mean good things the the district and kids.

Was the the kids playing basketball and football the last year or two with dads that coach at OU move in when the dads became coaches?

I agree good luck to all teams and kids on a successful tournament run.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Great season Bulldogs

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ah man ... I'm still sick to my stomach - even after the long drive back from Chillicothe ... Athens had a 4-0 lead in the 7th ... The game was then tied heading into the bottom of the 7th ... Had bases loaded with 1 out in the bottom half of the inning and couldn't get the run across ... A throwing error leads to a 5-4 deficit in the top of the 8th - couldn't score and the game ended.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Great season by the TVC Juggernaut Athens Bulldogs.

pio24
Waterboy

Post by pio24 »

great game - both teams. It was one of the most exciting baseball games I've ever witnessed.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

greatone wrote:Great season by the TVC Juggernaut Athens Bulldogs.
Is that a sarcasitc jab toward a team of KIDS, who just suffered a heart-wrenching loss?

Lots of class bro - lots of class.

Return to “Baseball”