Coronavirus: What happens to the season?

OG_20
Waterboy

Re: Coronavirus: What happens to the season?

Post by OG_20 »

Summer ball is way more competitive and more kids get seen for colleges but screw summer ball?

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Yeah, that is why college coaches trust high school coaches opinion all the time.
Summer ball should suffer also. Play HS in mid May-late June. Summer ball can play in July. Start HS tourney about June 15.
Probably nobody will play with all the doom and gloom anyway.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

I know, I’m tired of the doom and gloom. And you’re not allowed to try to be positive about this because you get attacked for “not caring enough”. Not all of these kids play travel ball. School ball should take priority over travel ball.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

longball wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:38 pm I know, I’m tired of the doom and gloom. And you’re not allowed to try to be positive about this because you get attacked for “not caring enough”. Not all of these kids play travel ball. School ball should take priority over travel ball.
I honestly think most players prefer to play summer ball.

Fields3
Waterboy

Post by Fields3 »

BlizzardMan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:33 pm
longball wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:38 pm I know, I’m tired of the doom and gloom. And you’re not allowed to try to be positive about this because you get attacked for “not caring enough”. Not all of these kids play travel ball. School ball should take priority over travel ball.
What about the kids that play football?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Fields3 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:00 pm
BlizzardMan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:33 pm
What about the kids that play football?
Plenty of football players also do travel baseball.

bunt pirate
Freshman Team

Post by bunt pirate »

This year it isn’t going to matter to college coaches (with their own season cancelled), but on a normal year 99% of college coaches take the high school season into consideration more than travel ball. Ask any of them (i have asked SEVERAL D1s and NAIA in the Midwest). Nothing compares to the pressure (a kid shows) vs his crosstown rival while playing with guys he’s grown up with. They want guys who can perform in winning time. High school coaches coach the kid and travel ball coaches coach talent MOST OF THE TIME. No disrespect to travel ball coaches, they’re important and necessary (read this again and don’t get your feelings hurt... you’re important, but a spade is a spade)... but the real teachers of the game (most of the time...) are the guys who invest in all of the kids and not just the upper echelon. Which makes sense why college coaches trust HS coaches because the guys who are upper echelon in HS are just “guys” in college. They need to know who’s going to put in the dirty work and who has that drive. HS coaches have a better idea of those guys. Either way, both seasons are important. Why can’t we have both at condensed allotments?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

bunt pirate wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:38 pm This year it isn’t going to matter to college coaches (with their own season cancelled), but on a normal year 99% of college coaches take the high school season into consideration more than travel ball. Ask any of them (i have asked SEVERAL D1s and NAIA in the Midwest). Nothing compares to the pressure (a kid shows) vs his crosstown rival while playing with guys he’s grown up with. They want guys who can perform in winning time. High school coaches coach the kid and travel ball coaches coach talent MOST OF THE TIME. No disrespect to travel ball coaches, they’re important and necessary (read this again and don’t get your feelings hurt... you’re important, but a spade is a spade)... but the real teachers of the game (most of the time...) are the guys who invest in all of the kids and not just the upper echelon. Which makes sense why college coaches trust HS coaches because the guys who are upper echelon in HS are just “guys” in college. They need to know who’s going to put in the dirty work and who has that drive. HS coaches have a better idea of those guys. Either way, both seasons are important. Why can’t we have both at condensed allotments?
I think it depends. Gus Graham of Gallia Academy had a great career at Miami (Ohio) and they didn't even come to watch his high school games. They watched him in the summer. Many kids get seen in summer ball.

Return to “Baseball”