Ironton Baseball 08

ItownHosscat
S

Ironton Baseball 08

Post by ItownHosscat »

How well we they do this year,who do they have coming back,and whos coming up?

osumufan
SE

Re: Ironton Baseball 08

Post by osumufan »

Tigers young, inexperienced
By Jim Walker/Tribune Sports Editor

Saturday, March 22, 2008 11:58 PM EDT
Those water cooler on the Ironton Fighting Tigers’ team bench must be filled with water from the Fountain of Youth.

Ironton went from a young team last season to possibly a younger team this year as they head into the baseball season.

Ironton lost all-district and all-league standout Chad Miller who is now starting at the University of Rio Grande. Also gone are all-league performers Tanner Reed and T.J. Keith. Missing from the pitching staff are Keith, Miller and Greg Kettel, now at Shawnee State.

Second-year head coach Tobey Schreck said a lot of younger, inexperienced players could fill out the lineup.

“We’re awfully young. We’ll probably play about four seniors, so the rest of those guys will have to play and they haven’t been tested,” said Schreck.

Senior Nick Lewis is back after hitting over .300 last season. Schreck said the third baseman will be a key player.

“He can be pretty good. He’s a good defensive player and he bats third or fourth and he can drive some people in. We need him to hit the ball and drive in runs and he can do that for us,” said Schreck.

Also returning are seniors Jeremy Moore and Wes Runyon. Moore, who hit better than .300 last season, and Runyon will play first base while the other will be the designated hitter.

“Jeremy has been hitting the ball real well,” said Schreck. “We need Wes to swing a good bat for us.”

Howie Lucas, only a sophomore, figures to be the ace of the staff after a strong rookie season.

“He’s young but he’s the only pitcher back with any real varsity experience. We’re hoping he’ll pick up where he left off and be a better pitcher as the season goes along,” said Schreck.

Up the middle of the infield will be sophomores Josh Pancake and Ethan Preston with Ryan O’Leary, another sophomore, in the mix. Pancake started at second base last season and will move to shortstop this year.

O’Leary has been sidelined with a knee injury and is just returning to practice.

“We haven’t had a chance to see much of what O’Leary can do, but he’s grown quite a bit. I hope he’s a little stronger. He hits pretty good from what little I’ve seen,” said Schreck.

Defense up the middle is important in the outfield as well and junior Johnathan Schweickart figures to be in center field.

“We have two sophomores up the middle and their backup is a sophomore, so we’re going to have some growing pains,” said Schreck. “Schweickart has picked up some speed and he’s doing a good job so far.”

Pancake, Preston and Schweickart all figure in the pitching plans.

“The two who will be key are Preston and Schweickart. They’ll be the two and three guys in the rotation and we’re playing three league games a week,” said Schreck.

“Josh Pancake will have to throw. Wes Runyon will be a spot starter and middle reliever and (Chance) Freeman may have to throw some. (Ryan) Allen looks pretty good in practice. He could be a surprise for us.”

Joining Schweickart in the outfield will be senior Byron Brammer in right and sophomore Keith Wetzel in left. Freeman will be the swing man in the outfield.

The loss of Tanner Reed means junior Geoff White will be the catcher.

“Tanner was all-league and I don’t remember too many passed balls. Geoff throws the ball all right, he just needs some consistency and some experience,” said Schreck.

usahockey1980
Riding the Bench

Post by usahockey1980 »

Maybe they will come in 4th in the OVC.

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

:?: :?: :?:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

OVC--- :?: :?: :?: :aaaaa46

86Tiger
JV Team

Post by 86Tiger »

I think they should do well this year. As long as they all play to their potential. There is a lot of talent on this team.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

I'm sure today's league opener with Gallipolis was postponed. Will they make it up on Thursday?

Tiger-Brother
Riding the Bench

Post by Tiger-Brother »

Ironton played Coal Grove this evening, and got beat 12 to 11. Errors killed Ironton, we probably had between 8-10 (I could be wrong but just a guess). Josh Pancake had a Grand Slam and Nick Lewis had a Homer.

I AM MR. SHOTSKY
Waterboy

Post by I AM MR. SHOTSKY »

pictures of game and GRAND SLAM at http://www.fightingtigersports.com
way to go pancake!!!!!

Return to “Baseball”