Federal Hocking vs Wheelersburg

free safety
Riding the Bench

Federal Hocking vs Wheelersburg

Post by free safety »

Burg takes two with a 26-1 and 4-3. Burg had 6 or 7 HOMERUNS all by different players.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: Federal Hocking vs Wheelersburg

Post by Steely Dan »

I'll be interested to hear the comments of those who made the long trek to WBurg.
The score of the first game, either an anomoly where it is one of those days where nothing goes right, the pitching didn't get it done, or the strike zone was so tight they had to throw meatballs...........

It is funny that there is such a disparity in game one, and a one run game in game two. After watching Wheelersburg last year, it was obvious that they had alot of talent, the majority of which would be returning this year, so the score doesn't surprise me all that much.

I'll reserve any other comment (expect for the following) to those who were at the game.

I hope that there was not a repeat of the bush league play at first base that occurred last year. I'll leave it at that.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Very tight strike zone in the first game to be honest but it was consistent all game. The Pirates were sitting on ready. To be 100% honest, the pitching of FH did not get it done.

In the second game, nobody knew where the strike zone was for the Pirates, Lancers or fans from either team. Very inconsistent with the balls and strikes. In game 2, Coach Estep started a different group of defenders.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

alabama mike - Your silence, I hope tells me, that there was no repeat of the incident that occurred at Fed Hock, with the play at first. I'll leave it at that.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

What are these two teams records?

Burg and Portsmouth travel to Zane Trace next Saturday.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I wasn't there for this one, as I was in the New England region.

However, I knew that if FH were going to lose by 10, that they would fold up and lose by 20+. They knew what the Burg had coming back. They knew their own defense had been struggling. They knew they would not be throwing their best group. Also, they knew they would be driving 2 and 1/2 hours to play on a Saturday to "get their butts kicked." Can someone guess why I chose this weekend to hit the road? We're not talking about baseball junkies who can't get enough. They just play baseball (not to generalize, but overall).

In the 2nd game, FH threw one of their top 4 pitchers, and I was told that Wheelersburg started a good one, let him pitch for three, and then brought him in again to close out the game because FH was threatening to tie it.

Also, in FH's book, Wheelersburg had 2 different players in the starting lineup for the second game that did not start in the first game. Unless the book-keeper was lying on the phone, we're not talking about wholesale changes in this case.

FH's Tyler Thompson had a funeral to attend, but was able to make it partially through the second game. He went 2 for 2 at the plate.

Let's face it. The Burg is a legit state title contender. They have every position filled with good to great D3 high school baseball players. They have speed, defense, pitching, and hitting. Meanwhile, FH is rebuilding in spots, has struggled out of the gate, and will be working to become a better team as the season progresses. They will be alright, and I see it as a positive that they competed well in the second game. They could have easily packed it up and gone home, which is actually what I would have predicted. I would have been wrong.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

W'Burg had 17 players on the bench this weekend against FH.

In the first game I believe the entire 1st group was pulled to start the 4th inning with the score at about 21-0. The second group finished the remainder of the first game. Here is what I noticed in this game. FH pitchers could not keep the ball down in the zone. I even commented about this when they were warming up that they tend to leave the ball up in the zone. W'Burg batters were patient and waited on pitches in the center of the zone. By the 3rd inning W'Burgs 1st thru 5th batters had hit HR's and they were hitting ball solid throughout the lineup.

The second group played almost the entire 2nd game. Only 1 starter I believe and he was the pitcher. Starters began returning at about the 5th inning with the scored tied at 3-3. An unfortunate routine fly ball just behind 1st base fell in for a hit that advanced a runner from 2nd to 3rd with 1 out. Then a sac fly to RF scored the run from 3rd to put W'Burg up 4-3 in the 6th. Strike zone was much more inconsistent in the second game keeping the hitters off balance as much as the pitching. FH had a runner at 2nd with 1 out in the top of the 7th but a switch on the mound by W'Burg shutdown the threat.

I did notice the pitcher that finished the 2nd game seemed to be a little more effective and possibly one of the top pitchers for FH.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Steely Dan wrote:alabama mike - Your silence, I hope tells me, that there was no repeat of the incident that occurred at Fed Hock, with the play at first. I'll leave it at that.

What incident at 1B are your speaking of? I'm trying to remember the games from last year and I cannot recall anything as an issue. Please clarify.

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Well, I was not at the game, but will be traveling home to scout some local games this spring, but I read and keep up on on all the areas teams in the south, but from what I am reading it sounds like the second game Estep started his second string, and almost got beat, second string is second string for a reason, that is what you have practice and trouts for, is to field your first string and put those players in to win games. The second string goes in if you are up by a lot of runs. Sounds to me like the Burg second string is getting more playing time than the first stringers. Not sure that this would happen in football or basketball, so why in baseball? There needs to be a state championship title come to the Burg this year. They have passed up opportunities in the past, but get the job done this year!

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

I too would like to know what the "1st base incident" was. I can't remember what might have happened either.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

BULDOG wrote:W'Burg had 17 players on the bench this weekend against FH.

In the first game I believe the entire 1st group was pulled to start the 4th inning with the score at about 21-0. The second group finished the remainder of the first game. Here is what I noticed in this game. FH pitchers could not keep the ball down in the zone. I even commented about this when they were warming up that they tend to leave the ball up in the zone. W'Burg batters were patient and waited on pitches in the center of the zone. By the 3rd inning W'Burgs 1st thru 5th batters had hit HR's and they were hitting ball solid throughout the lineup.

The second group played almost the entire 2nd game. Only 1 starter I believe and he was the pitcher. Starters began returning at about the 5th inning with the scored tied at 3-3. An unfortunate routine fly ball just behind 1st base fell in for a hit that advanced a runner from 2nd to 3rd with 1 out. Then a sac fly to RF scored the run from 3rd to put W'Burg up 4-3 in the 6th. Strike zone was much more inconsistent in the second game keeping the hitters off balance as much as the pitching. FH had a runner at 2nd with 1 out in the top of the 7th but a switch on the mound by W'Burg shutdown the threat.

I did notice the pitcher that finished the 2nd game seemed to be a little more effective and possibly one of the top pitchers for FH.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure the bookkeeper was just confused by all the substituting, and began to simply recognize all the names. :lol:

I wish FH would have battled a bit in the first game. I know they went down there expecting to get hammered, they didn't have one of their top few players, they have been trying to plug leaks as is, they threw pitchers that TVC teams with a pulse would never see, and then laid down when it all started crumbling. By no means do I think the first game could have been all that competitive, but FH letting it spiral that much is kind of sad. It's like a dog that just rolls over and exposes its belly. :shock:

FH is replacing three starters from a year ago that were able to play defense, and four starters who were in the hitting lineup. One guy is playing D1 baseball right now. FH was 19-9 last season with a reasonably tough schedule, but also set a FH record for errors. Those errors are back for this season, and FH is also trying to plug holes with either young guys, or guys with similar amounts of experience. It may be good for them to have seen a team like Wheelersburg early on, as long as their spirits weren't crushed.

FH will get better....or the alternatives will be me typing gibbberish on this forum, or me rolling over like an omega dog.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

oldschooler wrote:Well, I was not at the game, but will be traveling home to scout some local games this spring, but I read and keep up on on all the areas teams in the south, but from what I am reading it sounds like the second game Estep started his second string, and almost got beat, second string is second string for a reason, that is what you have practice and trouts for, is to field your first string and put those players in to win games. The second string goes in if you are up by a lot of runs. Sounds to me like the Burg second string is getting more playing time than the first stringers. Not sure that this would happen in football or basketball, so why in baseball? There needs to be a state championship title come to the Burg this year. They have passed up opportunities in the past, but get the job done this year!

I'm sure alot of people are questioning this strategy. Should have started the starters, subbed late in the game if possible. Problem is the starters are not getting enough at bats and this could become an issue in tight games against top level pitching. I pretty sure that a couple starters played only 3 full innings in the first game and 0 in the second. It is also my opinion that carrying more than 14 on the varsity roster is an issue unless a few are strictly pitchers.

burgtown2008
Riding the Bench

Post by burgtown2008 »

I'm not a real big baseball fan per say, but I read the forums just to keep up with the Burg programs. On the starting the 2nd team after winning 26-1 is not a big deal ,if the first game had ended 4-3 he might have been inclined to use the starters in the 2 nd game. Coaches decision.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Game 1:

P- Russell & Cook
C- Armstrong
1B- White
2B- Elliott
SS- Wamsley
3B- Lyon
LF- Blevings
CF- Cook
RF- Hopper

Game 2:

P- Wamsley, Cook, Hopper & Wamsley
C- Leach
1B- S. Hall
2B- Kemper
SS- Boyer
3B- B. Hall
LF- Stiers
CF- Brown
RF- Russell

Montavon also played but did not start.

In the first game substitutions were made throughout the lineup except catcher. The second game featured a different lineup. To be honest, we ran ourselves out of a couple of potentinal big innings in the second game.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Ok thanks. I already took the Wheelersburg word for it, though. Plus, I am sure that all of FH's players and fans have already been put in their place, and already know where they stand in relation to the Pirates. FH was crushed and beaten upon. No doubt. I look foward to seeing Wheelersburg in the Regional Finals or Final Four. Good luck the rest of the way. It would be nice to see a SEO state champion in baseball.

I've heard there are some cancer/chemistry issues on the roster. Any truth? There is nothing worse than having a greatly talented team with one or two head cases keeping the team from reaching their potential.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

Orestes, I can assure you, that is not the case. This is the same team as last year and they get along well and have great chemistry.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Alright. Must have had some bad info. Probably FH people overreacting because of some of the parental responses due to the subs starting.

Anyway, goodluck the rest of the way, and get those rings, unless of course FH ends up playing the Burg in the tourney. In that case, I hope something amazing happens and FH pulls a cinderella/shocking upset. :lol: :shock: Again, goodluck.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

Thank you, we are working hard towards that goal. Good Luck to FH the rest of the way too.

Return to “Baseball”