Rio Grande inks two Southern athletes

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Rio Grande inks two Southern athletes

Post by Remember_The_Name »

Seniors Ryan Chapman and Butch Marnhout will sign today at 11:30 to play baseball at Rio Grande... Best of luck in college but remember this season isnt over :122245 congratulations

alabama mike
SE

Re: Rio Grande inks two Southern athletes

Post by alabama mike »

Best of luck as they continue to play at the next level. What positions do they play?

RAW5
Waterboy

Post by RAW5 »

im sure that Chapman will pitch

kong
Waterboy

Post by kong »

Tyrus Coyan of Jackson signed with Rio Baseball on Monday. Should be a interesting season.

RAW5
Waterboy

Post by RAW5 »

what position does he play

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Congratulations and Good Luck to both these young men. Any word on where Wes Riffle is headed yet?

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Riffle is currently not planning on playing college ball. I don't know if he will chang his mind, but for now that is his position.

Marnhout- pitcher/utility-he is very fast so I am sure he will see a bit of time on the field.
Chapman-pitcher

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Chapman will pitch and Marnhout will probably be a utility guy... hes only got 12 more bases to steal to get his 100th for his career so hes definately got speed so he would be a prime canidate for an outfielder.. hes also a great cather with a good arm... both players can hit very well.

G_W....Riffle....hes leaning towards his education more than he is playing ball... Where hes got offers at they dont have what he wants for his education... He loves the game a lot but I trust he will make the right decision

But again congrats to Chapman and Marnhout... Ive played with these guys since T-Ball and their hard work over the summer and high school has definately payed off for them

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

could someone explain how marnhout can go to gallipolis and play football in the fall then back to southern for baseball in the spring
:?

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

I do not know anything about this young man's situation and there are times when transfers need to occur-job relocation, divorce of parents, etc. However, the State Athletic Association needs to get an immediate handle on the transfer situation in Ohio. With the monies they rack in, you think that they could have an enforcement division that actually checks out transfer situations. But alas, they will keep their heads in the sand and look the other way. In the long run, situations where multiple kids transfer into a school district, the immediate effect is not felt until later on when the local player(s) who is/are dislodged from a starting position or the team because of the transfer(s) families stop supporting the local sports teams and more importantly stop supporting the school levies because they felt their local player (rightly or wrongly) was treated badly or unfairly. The player and his family who moves in (if they ever really do move) often leave when his career is up as they do not have a significant stake in the community, do not own land, cannot be taxed and do not help the local school sports program out when their child (the move-in) leaves. Often times, kids also quit playing at the lower levels and the coach who benefitted from the transfers leaves after a championship season when his transfers graduate leaving the cupboard (like a farm system in baseball) bare for his successors.

bird78
Varsity

Post by bird78 »

the assasin--ole Butchie found out about SEOAL football and run with his tail between legs back to south :-D :shock: :!:

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

I heard 2 boys from Wheelersburg are looking their also.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

bird78 wrote:the assasin--ole Butchie found out about SEOAL football and run with his tail between legs back to south :-D :shock: :!:

This topic is for congratulating these two guys on a great accomplishment, not bashing one of them for a certain situation...

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Remember_The_Name wrote:
bird78 wrote:the assasin--ole Butchie found out about SEOAL football and run with his tail between legs back to south :-D :shock: :!:

This topic is for congratulating these two guys on a great accomplishment, not bashing one of them for a certain situation...

Good point RTN, it's "water under the bridge" now.

As for Riffle, he is an outstanding prospect and I hope things work out well for him.

Ryan Lemley
Waterboy

Post by Ryan Lemley »

I am the head coach at Southern, I am in my 6th season. I am very proud of our baseball program. I typically do not like to post but I felt this issue needed it. Butch and his dad moved to Gallipolis in July because on an issue with the school. He liked it there and did a respectable job in SEOAL competition. Bird 78 check his touchdowns and yardage, they may not have been great, but they were respectable. He was not doing well with his academics there. Butch and his dad moved to Syracuse, which is in our district, so that he could have more support socialy and academicly. Except for the short time he spent at Gallia he has lived in our district his whole life. He was simply coming home. Some community members were upset, they will get over it. I gladly accecpt any criticism for this because I know that we did the right thing to help him get on the right track. He sat out our first 5 games (20 %), which was equal to the penalty he had in the first place. His team, friends, mom, teachers and coaches were glad to have him HOME. He will make a great player for Rio. I am glad to have had the chance to coach him. Best of luck to all three Southern players at Rio! To bad Riffle isn't joining them, but I wish him the best to. All Southern players that read this remember we still have games to play, and our number 1 goal is out there for us to take! Work hard and lets "move beyond good and reach for great"

longball315
Freshman Team

Post by longball315 »

congrats to chapman and butch good luck at rio

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

GREAT POST!!!!- Ryan Lemley
Last edited by Fonzie on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

longball315
Freshman Team

Post by longball315 »

im coming down to watch u guys play tonight

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Maximus wrote:GREAT POST!!!!- Ryan Lemley

Well said Coach Lemley... Well said... 8)

longball315
Freshman Team

Post by longball315 »

yes well said coach lemley

Return to “Baseball”