Adena's 2 losses

Onthefence
Freshman Team

Re: Adena's 2 losses

Post by Onthefence »

I kind of thought that would stir things up..The "World" I live in is 30 years of experience around southern ohio high school sports. Read my post again. I did not say the buddy system did not exist. It goes on everywhere in every sport. If you think the SOCI and SOCII are innocent your the one living in another world. To be honest, Wheelersburg probably got the short end of the stick. Just move up in the tournament and show how flawed the polls are.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

No WHEELERSBURG did get the short end of the stick, I was just given an example of the why that the POLLS an the brackets go. JUST AN EXAMPLE!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Adena has been to the Regionals each of the past 4 seasons and reached the state title game in 2005, playing like that earns you respect. Complaining constantly, doesn't.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

BTW, don't be surprised if Wheelersburg loses votes next week. Saw on another thread earlier, that an angry Burg fan emailed the voting coaches and ran down Zane Trace.

I'm not going to lump all Burg fans together, but whoever did that, show some class...just like Coach Estepp and his players show every ballgame.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I agree, dani. Some people just need to think before they type.

Like I said above, it doesn't matter where you end up in the polls just where you stand at the end of the season. If you are on the field at Cooper stadium with medallions around your neck and a big trophy in front of you, that is the real number one team in my eyes. It wasn't voted on by someone who doesn't have a clue what kind of team you have, but it is actually earned on the field.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Orestes wrote:Look, I watched a Federal Hocking team go against the state runner-up Adena team in the 2005 District Finals.

Wheelersburg is the best D3 team I have seen in my memory as an adult. Keep in mind that I am closing in on 24. I don't feel like I can judge teams from my high school days.

The SVC teams own the polls and the coach's all-state selections. FH had a D1 scholarship player pitch a 9-2 pitching record with a 0.5 +- ERA (against the best in the TVC, plus Warren and Gallia in 2006), combined with a .582 BA (on a team that rarely has .500 hitters, despite winning a lot) with 25+ SBs, 40 RBIs, and he still did not get selected to the all-state team that year. At the same time, the SVC teams in D3 were pumping 2 or more a piece on the team. BTW, I posted his numbers more than once on the coach's forum. I'm not the head coach, but that proved it once and for all that the system is pure BS.

The polls are not much different. It's a buddy system.

The TVC is not even close to the SVC or SOC in Baseball. Buddy system probably. Why don't you schedule some of those teams and see what your stats are.lol

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

bengalfan76 wrote:
Orestes wrote:Look, I watched a Federal Hocking team go against the state runner-up Adena team in the 2005 District Finals.

Wheelersburg is the best D3 team I have seen in my memory as an adult. Keep in mind that I am closing in on 24. I don't feel like I can judge teams from my high school days.

The SVC teams own the polls and the coach's all-state selections. FH had a D1 scholarship player pitch a 9-2 pitching record with a 0.5 +- ERA (against the best in the TVC, plus Warren and Gallia in 2006), combined with a .582 BA (on a team that rarely has .500 hitters, despite winning a lot) with 25+ SBs, 40 RBIs, and he still did not get selected to the all-state team that year. At the same time, the SVC teams in D3 were pumping 2 or more a piece on the team. BTW, I posted his numbers more than once on the coach's forum. I'm not the head coach, but that proved it once and for all that the system is pure BS.

The polls are not much different. It's a buddy system.

The TVC is not even close to the SVC or SOC in Baseball. Buddy system probably. Why don't you schedule some of those teams and see what your stats are.lol

LOL. I agree that the SVC is stronger than the TVC, but I don't care about "my" stats. Those are ancient history, and high school baseball is a small stepping stone in one's life. I was talking about a 2007 graduate of FH, and his great 2006 season. I did not know this kid until 2005.

FH Wins vs. SVC under Brunty: Unioto, Huntington, ZT
Loss: Adena

That's 3-1.

BTW, during the season in question, FH played D2 Jefferson, D2 Aurora, D2 Warren, D2 Gallia, and D1 Marietta. Two of those teams were in the D2 District Finals (Jefferson and Warren), and ask SEOAL people if Haislop and King's Gallia team could play. The pitcher in question held them to 3 hits in his W against them. He also held Warren to 3 runs (1 earned) on 4 hits, when Warren scored 8 on 10+ hits against a pretty good 2006 Courthouse team in District Finals.

Like I said, I don't care about the polls. I don't get stiff over seeing FH's name in the polls. I'll leave that to others.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Trust me I know the king and Haislop kids.

You were putting down the SVC because they placed two kids on all-star teams.
Play the league on a regular basis and see what your record will be.lol
I was at the Unioto game lets just say you should thank them for the gift.lol

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

bengalfan76 wrote:Trust me I know the king and Haislop kids.

You were putting down the SVC because they placed two kids on all-star teams.
Play the league on a regular basis and see what your record will be.lol
I was at the Unioto game lets just say you should thank them for the gift.lol

Yeah. One 2-run error would have won a 6-2 loss for them. They would have needed to score again to win anyway, and that didn't happen. That's baseball. FH blundered around in the outfield in 2005 against Adena for a 5-3 loss, and also stranded the bases loaded with less than 2-outs a couple of times. Oh well, that's baseball. We're not talking about major differences in scores during any of the games. The TVC has several true bottom feeders. These teams hurt the good TVC teams. Those games are a complete waste of time, and only create bad habits and a false sense of confidence.

Anyway, you are not making any kind of point. You know the Haislop and King team, so you know that's a solid DH. You know that both Warren and Jefferson were much better, so you know those are very tough games. I would argue that Warren and Jefferson in 2006 would have won the SVC. I have also agreed that the SVC is a better conference. However, it is not SO much better that it possesses 4 or more players in one year better than the best TVC position player I have seen since I've been watching (99-08) .

Here is my point. The 2006 FH team was possibly the most talented team FH has ever fielded. It was an aged version of the 2005 team that went toe to toe with Adena's state runner-up team. I was not asking for TWO FH players on the all-state team. I was saying that the best TVC position player in 10 years, being recruited and offered by D1 teams, while being ranked in Ohio's top 100, with great stats against a quality non-league schedule (23-4), was probably worthy of all-state honors. I am doubting that there were 4 or more better players among the D3 SVC teams. I don't think that anyone with a mind could argue otherwise. The coaches made a mistake. Period. Though, I am doubting that getting it right was the first priority.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

I agree the kid should have recieved some honors with those stats but maybe the coach didn't send out the information. There are more coaches around the state that vote other than the 2 from the SVC.

Where is this kid playing now?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I was helping with the team at the time. I wrote all of his stats on the coach's forum, as many others were doing that year. I listed them twice. Part of the reason this annoyed me so much, was that I had taken the responsibility of making sure he made the team. We felt that we had two or three all-state caliber players that year, but decided to only push one. We did so, because we were afraid of splitting votes among our other players, and because this player had by far the best all-around stats.

Now, he is playing at Ohio University. As a true freshman, he is not the full-time starter, but he has received a solid amount of playing time. I hesitate to mention this, because I do not want to draw uneccessary negative attention in his direction. There is enough pressure on him to play well, especially when one his getting spot at-bats after not seeing live pitching since the fall.

Anyway, I am not simply accusing the SVC coaches of controlling the entire process. You are right. There are only two of them. I just quickly noticed that during that year that they both had multiple players on the team. I also noticed that one of them was the president of the whole situation. However, it wasn't just the SVC. A MVL team also had two players make all-state in D3. Those two guys were 8/9 hitters during the legion season, and they belonged at those spots. I paid attention to the other SEO selections.

Like I said, the SVC is a strong conference. I am aware of that fact. I also cheer for the SVC teams as they make their tournament runs, especially when they are playing teams from other areas. I made the trip to see Adena play in the final four in 2005.

warrior0216
Waterboy

Post by warrior0216 »

i cant wait to see the matchup between wheelersburg and adena. i hope both teams are still in

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

warrior0216 wrote:i cant wait to see the matchup between wheelersburg and adena. i hope both teams are still in

Yes this would be a good one. However, there are several games that need to be played before we get there.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Orestes you say the player playing at O.U. from Federal Hocking has gotten solid playing time as a freshman. Looking at the O.U. Stats he has appeared in 10 games with a total of 19 at bats in 56 games. Not sure that counts as solid playing time. I wonder why he didn't go down and play with his uncle at Georgia Tech. He probably could have gotten that many at bats with him. I wish he would have played at a DIII school where he would have probably started for any of those.

You mentioned that Rocky is 3-1 against the SVC, Rocky is now 0-3 the last three years when being the top seed
playing at home in the first round of the sectional against Belpre, Belpre and Crooksville. Federal needs to play better competition and stop playing weaker schools to boost their stats for the tournament draw.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

FH played 12 non-conference games. Warren and Wheelersburg made up four of them. Fort Frye made up another. Rocky wanted Zane Trace on the schedule, but there was an AD/Coach miscommunication on FH's end. They also had a Fairfield Union and Athens DH canceled. FH was not that good this year, and had their best player injured in 2007. Yes, 2006 was a melt down.

Anyway, he will play and play often at Ohio if he so chooses. Check out players from SEOP schools and their recent success at OU. See how he compares.

warrior0216
Waterboy

Post by warrior0216 »

back to the topic.
adena is not looking ahead past southeastern. thursday

ABB
Waterboy

Post by ABB »

Adena is a good team, but I will take the Burg over them any day!

SVC
Waterboy

Post by SVC »

I would take Adena over the 'Burg. Why hasn't Zick gotten any more love this year. He is a fine coach.

Return to “Baseball”