Wheelersburg VS Westfall

alabama mike
SE

Re: Wheelersburg VS Westfall

Post by alabama mike »

A very nice win for the Pirates last night in Athens. Finally, the bats came back to life after what seemed like a long offensive drought. IMO, I think seeing some different, live picthers in pratice helped as well as getting a little pep talk from a friend of SOC baseball. Special thanks to MM, JB & DS.

Continue to focus and control the things you can on the field. Keep the sails flying toward Athens agains on Friday.

Thanks to Tom Metters for the nice article.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Thanks to Tom Metters and the Athens Messanger for the great write up on the Pirates. Obviously, no one from the Portsmouth Daily Times was at the game since there wasn't even a mention of last nights game in todays paper. Of course that doesn't surprise me.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

yep... Thanks goes out to the Athens messenger on the nice writeup about the game.

The other day the Portsmouth sectional game got half a page and the Burg/Chesapeake was a 2 x 3 from Saturday. No I know no one covered the game at Burg on Saturday.

I know it was late when the team returned last night and they probably rely on Coach Estep to call in the details but come on PDT, how can you not follow and cover the area tournament games for local teams. Especially with the limited teams still left. What a sad excuse for a local newspaper. Athens put it their paper and it wasn't even local teams playing.

IMO the scioto voice does a much better job at covering the local sports.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

BULDOG wrote:yep... Thanks goes out to the Athens messenger on the nice writeup about the game.

The other day the Portsmouth sectional game got half a page and the Burg/Chesapeake was a 2 x 3 from Saturday. No I know no one covered the game at Burg on Saturday.

I know it was late when the team returned last night and they probably rely on Coach Estep to call in the details but come on PDT, how can you not follow and cover the area tournament games for local teams. Especially with the limited teams still left. What a sad excuse for a local newspaper. Athens put it their paper and it wasn't even local teams playing.

Man, you Burg people are never pleased!! Quit whining around. First your whining about not getting any respect in the polls, now your whining about not getting any write up. Fact: It's a Portmouth, OH newspaper. Of course they are going to give a bigger write up then other Scioto co. schools. It is like that everywhere. Jackson Times does a bigger write up on Jackson schools. Why? It's a Jackson newspaper.
Just enjoy the fact that your kids are still playing. They have the recognition from area communities and schools. Maybe Wheelersburg needs to start their own Newspaper. Call it the Wheelersburg "whiners" Gazette!

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Regulator wrote:
BULDOG wrote:yep... Thanks goes out to the Athens messenger on the nice writeup about the game.

Man, you Burg people are never pleased!! Quit whining around. First your whining about not getting any respect in the polls, now your whining about not getting any write up. Fact: It's a Portmouth, OH newspaper. Of course they are going to give a bigger write up then other Scioto co. schools. It is like that everywhere. Jackson Times does a bigger write up on Jackson schools. Why? It's a Jackson newspaper.
Just enjoy the fact that your kids are still playing. They have the recognition from area communities and schools. Maybe Wheelersburg needs to start their own Newspaper. Call it the Wheelersburg "whiners" Gazette!

I'm not complaining about covering Portsmouth Sports and not Burg. I'm complaining about the entire county coverage. Alot of people subscribe to the PDT throughout the county. I guess no wonder the PDT is so thin since it is just a Portsmouth newspaper. Also, I think Portsmouth had played earlier in the week and Burg, Valley and Minford all played on Saturday. If I recall, and I may have missed something here, there was no featured writeup about any of these games.

Burg already has a newspaper... It's called "The Scioto Voice". Oh and they have an entire sports section that covers all county school sports. Imagine that!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It would've been nice if Westfall could've had their #1 at full strength for the game, but you gotta get to the game first. But, from what I've heard, Wheelersburg was just hits everything hard and were very disaplined at the plate.

Westfall had a very good season, with a young team and needs to keep their heads up after this game.

Huntington is a scrappy bunch, but is about the same as Westfall. Should be a better game, but Wheelersburg is a big favorite. Can't wait to watch this Burg team once they get to Chillicothe next week.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

danicalifornia wrote:It would've been nice if Westfall could've had their #1 at full strength for the game, but you gotta get to the game first. But, from what I've heard, Wheelersburg was just hits everything hard and were very disaplined at the plate.

Westfall had a very good season, with a young team and needs to keep their heads up after this game.

Huntington is a scrappy bunch, but is about the same as Westfall. Should be a better game, but Wheelersburg is a big favorite. Can't wait to watch this Burg team once they get to Chillicothe next week.

You are correct, you cannot play for tomorrow. You must win today. Westfall has the makings of a good team. A pretty young team from what I heard.

Don't know much about Huntington only that they split with Westfall I believe.

I hope you are correct and Burg makes it to the regionals. They are a very solid fundamental team. But usually at this point you also need a little luck as well. The VA in Chilli is such a great baseball atmosphere for all these young players.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

You can tell that Sports plays a big roll in the news in Athens. That was a well written article by Mr Metters. I wonder if he is a grad of OU?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Regulator wrote:

Why don't you just stay off the Wheelersburg threads if you think all we do is whine and you don't want to hear it. Bottom line is the PDT sucks as far as coverage for any of the county teams. It always has and it probably always will. It not just Wheelersburg, it's all the county schools that get the shaft when it come to coverage. Maybe you could start your own Newsletter and call it "The Butting In Where It's None Of My Business Gazette".

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

Just what BG77 said. yeh

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

The Portsmouth times has lost two of its main four sports writers in the last month to career moves. Josh Hinkle was moved up to sports editor last week and he is a really nice guy but he only has Bret to send out to cover games. Unless the Times invests in more reporters/stringers, we will be lucky to get the 3 inch write up-period. AND the coaches will have to help them out as much as possible by calling in the results as soon as possible to get even that. But I suspect that one on the desk and one in the field is the best that they can do right at the moment. That is all they usually have during the summer anyway, but this year, the attrition has started a little early.

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

Thanks to all for the kind comments about my article in The Athens Messenger about the Wheelersburg-Westfall game ... I have lived in Athens all but the first four months of my life, went through Athens schools and a degree in journalism from Ohio University. Had not written for The Messenger while in high school but did so under a student reporter connection between Ohio University and The Messenger for two years then stayed on when I graduated from Ohio University (1965 for those who are interested). I have enjoyed the writing I have done through the years for The Messenger much of which has been centered on high school sports.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

The thing that kills me about the PDT is if you get pulled over for a DUI and they find a few pills or a joint in your car then that story makes the front page like it the freakin' crime of the century. But a kid hits a 3 run home run in the bottom of the 7th inning to propel his team to victory and it gets stuck on the last page of the sports section in a little tiny 3 inch article, but only if the coach decides to submit the story.

I realize the PDT can't be at every game, but why don't they think about trying to recruit some kids from the schools that could follow the teams and write the stories for them. I'm sure each school has some kids that are interested in journalism and would likely jump at the chance to write for a newspaper. Just a thought.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Im with ya BG77, They just cant seem to get the sports to the whole group of patrons that buy the paper. Burg has gotten bigger and the PDT hasnt made their adjustments.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

The scioto voice does an excellent job covering the local sports action. It only comes out once a week but $20 gets you a yrs subscription.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

How about someone start the W'Burg Gazette!? Could make alot of money. Anyway, good luck to the pirates this Thursday!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The PDT has always coverered primarily PORTSMOUTH sports. It has always been that way, always will. And you dont need to send someone out to cover a game to get a short recap in the newspaper. All they have to do is call the coach, get the stats, crucial plays, etc., and there you go.

If you dont like it, do what I did and call them and CANCEL your subscription and tell them it is because they are crappy about covering county school sports. Maybe if enough people call and cancel, they will improve. But if they dont publish what you want to read, dont buy it.

I have to admit, they do a good job covering county high school football games, but other than that if it doesnt happen in Portsmouth, you wont read much about it.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Tom Metters ==== the best in the business

He is a great guy as well. Some of my best memories of legion baseball involve Mr. Metters being around the program. The Athens Messenger is lucky to have him on board.

Return to “Baseball”