Re: SEO College players

Post by Grits »

RHP Chris Barnett- Fairland H.S.- West Virginia State Univ

2008 D-II redshirt - 4 years of eligibility left

5-5-08- West Virginia State #22 in NCAA D-II National Poll

Summer ’08 with Ashland, KY:

Won against Cincinnati Midland- 5-2; 89 FB and 71 change-up

Univ. of KY skills - 60 yd. dash in 6.79

Winning pitcher against Shelbyville, KY; 9 K's in 4 innings at the end of the season

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

Todd Smith from Piketon will be playing at Berea College this spring.

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

randy ratcliff from green high school is playing for shawnee state

Cobra
Riding the Bench

Post by Cobra »

Butch Marnhout(Southern)-Rio Grande

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Athens P21 Alumni (and their respective high school) playing college baseball this fall:

Nick Springer (Federal Hocking) Marietta College (Jr)
Cory Bean (Alexander) Mount Vernon Naz (So)
Tyler Chadwell (Federal Hocking) Ohio University (So)
Ryan Thomas (Alexander) Rio Grande (So)
Cory McCune (Federal Hocking) Ohio Valley (Fr)

Good luck to these young men.
Last edited by g w mclintock on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobra
Riding the Bench

Post by Cobra »

My sources tell me that Ryan Chapman also from Southern is at Rio Grande. Also they said that Ryan Thomas is not with Rio this year.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Yes I heard Chapman was going to join Patrick Johnson for the Redmen. I had not heard that about Ryan Thomas.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I believe Ryan Thomas is a Rio student, but he just decided not to play baseball.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Zane Trace

Urbana: Jordan Baker, Cody Lawhorn, Zach Roll
Malone: Justin Shiflett
Mount Vernon Naz: Josh Roberts, Caleb Wright

South Atlantic League (Class A) Andrew Davis
Davis won his second championship in two years of pro ball with Augusta this week.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Maximus wrote:I believe Ryan Thomas is a Rio student, but he just decided not to play baseball.

Max, this has been confirmed. Ryan is not playing baseball this fall. You are correct.

webgem6
Waterboy

Post by webgem6 »

Patrick Johnson has also not returned to join Rio Grande this year. From what my sources have informed me the Rio Grande baseball program have lost pretty much their whole coaching staff from last year and a program heading south pretty quick after they finished last in the conference last season. I believe Johnson is still attending school, I also heard Thomas may be transfering for football next year, but I'm not sure where.

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

Rio did not lose their head coach, more's the pity. Approximately 90% of the ENTIRE team did not return for this year! My sources tell me that Johnson did not return and that Thomas is being looked at by the track coach for his speed. Football is also still in the works. I'm not sure how a university can sit back and watch all the revunue be lost from ALL these young men. Evidently they make up for it with all the international players. It sure didn't help Rio last year though. Maybe if they tried their local talent they might find they could be better, it wouldn't take much. It's being reported that moral is at an all time low and that it's not baseball down their, but boot camp!

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

That's really a shame. Rio has picked up some nice players from this area the past couple of years. Good luck to Johnson and Thomas in whatever they do.

Grits
Waterboy

Post by Grits »

SEO has a lot of talented athletes- many of them are at Rio and all around the area colleges. An athletic staff can foster that talent in all the right ways or not. Rio can be a very good baseball school if it chooses to- the potential is endless and there (been there, done that for one semester)
Our current college follows a pro workout routine to the letter- players stay healthy and play to their maximum potential. Coaches lead and are in control at ALL times; the players know their roles and respect each other. Athletic staff members should always “Lead by Example” and athletes should be recruited for their “Talent and Character.”
The ins and outs of college recruiting are complex but very rewarding if you are willing to work hard to meet the challenges. ;-)

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

I also wish them the best. I have seen both of these young men play in their high school (and before) careers and there is know doubt they both could and would make an impact on the Rio team. Hopefully, they can put their talents towards another team and learn from this. Good luck!

webgem6
Waterboy

Post by webgem6 »

Alright grits I see your defense, but if the number of 90% is in fact true, how is that not a problem with the hierarchy instead of 90% of the players failing to "work hard"?

Grits
Waterboy

Post by Grits »

webgem6-
I was trying to nicely say.... there are some great "hard working" athletes at Rio and "some" good coaches.
We transferred and are very happy.
If you want to discuss this further, I will reply by pm.

Grits

webgem6
Waterboy

Post by webgem6 »

Haha no need for that grits, in that case I now totally agree with you.

Return to “Baseball”