Meigs Marauders 2009

Marauder_2010
Freshman Team

Re: Meigs Marauders 2009

Post by Marauder_2010 »

Yossarian wrote:Meigs tournament record has more to do with who they play and when than coaching. The Marauders are one of if not the smallest Div.II team in Ohio. They do not have the luxury of playing weaker teams in their tournament. If memory serves me they have lost to Warren Local, Gallia Academy, and Waverly in recent years. Those are really tough games in the sectional . They have been shut out three times in those games which I doubt you could blame on coaching. Who you play and when makes all the difference. Meigs baseball has always had more success than other sports at Meigs and recently they have had more than ever. That is a credit to the players and coaches.

I do believe that Meigs is the smallest Div.II school in the state.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

This is true...according to OHSAA, meigs is in the bottom fifth of Div.II in the state of Ohio

Waterboy

Post by 4.0 »

hmm...i didnt know that, but that just adds to Meigs' reputation, doing well as one of the smaller schools in the division

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

Yossarian is exactly right about the smaleest in division. meigs doesnt play cupcake teams in the tourney like southern or eastern or they would be in state every yea

Spelling Corrections: smallest,year * (tough ones!)

Yes Meigs may be the smallest team in their division but in baseball you can only put 9 men on the field. Unlike football where school size makes a big difference because you may need 15-20 guys on defense, 15-20 guys on offense & 15-20 on special teams & this can all happen within the course of let's say 5 minutes. Baseball the normal substitution is of course for 1 person, the pitcher. So let's not be complaining about school size which has little effect on baseball.

I mean look at our legion team 2 years ago. We draw from an area 4-5 times less popluated than Lancaster & Pickerington. Meigs had the team representing our district in the State Tournament.

And why must we put down our fellow county schools who have enjoyed some success in the tournament. Southern & Eastern have both made to the Regional Tournament the past 2 years! That is great! I hope this is a tradition that continues.

Why must we put down a fine coaching staff? Coach Grimm & company I'm sure put in just as much work as any other staff in the state. I believe this shows by just looking at the transformation of the field the past 6-7 years. AMAZING!

Meigs' biggest problem in the tournament the past few years is just the boys have not been able to score runs or keep the other team from scoring runs & THAT'S BASEBALL PEOPLE! This is going to happen, it's a shame that this happens in the tournament after the season these boys have had the past few years, but it's the truth.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

those are valid points but i believesize matters...smaller size gives you less chance of gaettin more talent.......good luck marauders

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

those are valid points but i believesize matters...smaller size gives you less chance of gaettin more talent.......good luck marauders

Well let's say Meigs had 45 more boys & more than half of them lived clear out in Langsville or Salem Center the odds of having 10 more boys play is not very high. The bigger problem for Meigs is location, if these boys practiced for 2 hours a night they still won't get home for another 30-45 mins. This school district is spread out a lot more than Warren or Gallipolis or Waverly. The school is just not in the middle of the district, making it harder for boys on the outskirts of the county to get to & from practice or games. So you could in theory have 45-70 more boys & still not get any better talent.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

that may add to meigs' rep...bein small and having trouble getting other guys within the district to play because of location

The_Redmen_Inn
Waterboy

Post by The_Redmen_Inn »

I have known Brent for many years and also played with him at Rio. He is a gamer and knows the game. He will be a great addition for Meigs.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

Heard a rumor about a River Valley kid coming to Meigs for baseball....any truth?

THROW-YA-O'S-UP!O-H
Riding the Bench

Post by THROW-YA-O'S-UP!O-H »

Who will be the Ace this year?

delta.devil
Riding the Bench

Post by delta.devil »

not sure...but I'd say that Bryan Delong would be the ace

trickdawg99
Waterboy

Post by trickdawg99 »

yellowjacket wrote:i,ve watched these kids play since they were in little league and they have won and been good players on every team they were on,i dont think grimm had anything to do with that.they aren't doing anything different than they were doing then.

I'm not going to call yellowjacket out on his opinion, but like him I'll agree to disagree. Winning the TVC Title is something that has escaped Meigs baseball for years before Coach Grimm and his staff took over. Evaluating his tournament record is fair. I know he does. But when you consider that the Meigs team that went to the State Finals in 96' weren't able to capture the TVC Title you begin to realize how tough (and relevant) winning that division becomes. And as a side, I'll put the 96' team against anybody, anyday. But back to the discussion. I can respect yellowjackets assessment that he has watched the defending TVC Champs play as youngsters and they were always talented. That's fair. I agree that the players in the Meigs program over the past several years have been very talented. I'm very impressed and proud of what they have accomplished. On the same note it can be said that many Meigs teams were comprised of perennial winners from the youth leagues that still weren't able to win the TVC. With all due respect, it's an entirely different game when you jump from Pony League or even Junior Varsity to the Varsity Level where awareness, concentration, and commitment are just as important as ability. They are doing something different. They're starting to develop into young men who realize that the real world doesn't start in the concession stand line. Having been a player for and a coach with Jeremy Grimm, I believe he's doing a great job of preparing his players to compete not only on the baseball diamond but also with the doldrums of life. He loves the game, he loves to coach, and to assign any type of discredit to him for the work he has done in this capacity would just be tragic.

bluetraveler
Riding the Bench

Post by bluetraveler »

I'm glad Coach Grimm stuck with baseball where i think he is a very good coach(had a son who played for him)
On a side note I'm glad he gave up coaching basketball(I remember him coaching jr high)He may have been in coach Ewing's position and nobody wants that!

THROW-YA-O'S-UP!O-H
Riding the Bench

Post by THROW-YA-O'S-UP!O-H »

Is Clay Bolin going to be back for the whole season?

Thunder
Waterboy

Post by Thunder »

Clay had the cast off and played in the basketball game against Nelsonville Tuesday night.

ABB
Waterboy

Post by ABB »

Meigs will continue to be a team that can beat ANYONE on any given night. Keep up the good work coach!

marauderfan
Riding the Bench

Post by marauderfan »

The great weather today is really making me want to watch some good high school baseball. Good luck this season Marauders, I know you are going to have a great year. I can hardly wait :-D

whs11
Riding the Bench

Post by whs11 »

I would say that Al Dettwiller has had as much to do with the development of players at Meigs as anyone..........

baseballmeigs
Waterboy

Post by baseballmeigs »

Marauders Jv is kicking butt this year with Bissell behind them. Bissell is a heck of a coach. Varsity is fighting but hopefully come back up. Jv record: 10-2
Yossarian wrote:Meigs tournament record has more to do with who they play and when than coaching. The Marauders are one of if not the smallest Div.II team in Ohio. They do not have the luxury of playing weaker teams in their tournament. If memory serves me they have lost to Warren Local, Gallia Academy, and Waverly in recent years. Those are really tough games in the sectional . They have been shut out three times in those games which I doubt you could blame on coaching. Who you play and when makes all the difference. Meigs baseball has always had more success than other sports at Meigs and recently they have had more than ever. That is a credit to the players and coaches.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Did they get to play the Gallipolis at Meigs game this evening? If so, what was the final score?

Return to “Baseball”