SEOAL Scores and Standings

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Re: SEOAL Scores and Standings

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

The thing is that we're a pretty young program right now. We have five seniors, but one doesn't play too much. Of the other four, one is our shortstop (Corey Hull, who has really developed nicely over the years and is headed to Wheeling Jesuit), another is our catcher (Shayne Miller, headed to Ohio Valley), another is our DH (Adam Young, though if it were not for injuries these past two years would have likely been our regular third baseman and a regularly used pitcher) and the other is an outfielder and starting pitcher (Brandon Smith, who is unbeaten this year; 7 wins I think). We start sophomores at first (Wade Kaido), second (Zach Pollock/Kurt Young), and third (Colten Maxwell, also a pitcher). Our centerfielder is a junior (J.T. Bunting). The corner outfielders come from Smith (when not pitching), Kurt Young (also pitches) and Cole Hudson (when not pitching; another sophomore). Usually, the entire outfield is made up of left-handers (though Kurt Young, who is ambidextrous, plays the infield right-handed; he also pitches lefty).

There are three other juniors. Ryan Sheppard was the starting second baseman before hurting his knee in a collision at second and is just now getting back. Michael Lynn is a backup outfielder (yes, he's left-handed, too), and Chris Caldwell is another lefty pitcher.

We've got 12 on our JV team -- three sophomores and nine freshmen. And we started a middle school program this year (along with other schools in our area) and had nearly 30 kids come out. We had to split into two teams.

As for our facility, Jay Payton Field, it is only in its second year of use (it sits on the same site as the old field, which was excavated when Roosevelt Middle School was built nearby). Fairly expansive outfield. Should be in great shape for Wednesday's game.

kong
Waterboy

Post by kong »

does anyone have directions from the south to zanesville field where doc game is to be played?

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

I don't have exact directions, but they now play at the high school so you could check on directions that way if you are uncertain

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

Jackson defeated Athens 4-2 in a non-league baseball game at Athens today (Monday) -- well played by both teams

DUSTIN FORD FAN
Waterboy

Post by DUSTIN FORD FAN »

it seems like z-ville has alot of lefties on the team....this could be a commonly over looked matchup......Jackson will be pitching Tyrus Coyan, a big southpaw, this could cause serious problems for z-ville......wish i could be there but i cant skip another class.....GO IRONMEN

PS- saw Coyan HR at athens last night....impressive.......kid can hit

bluedevilpride
Riding the Bench

Post by bluedevilpride »

Watching Zanesville this year has been quite an experience. After losing SR's Alex Cultice (34 W's in 4 years, BA>.450) and Cory Swope (SS for 2 seasons and BA > .400) to graduation most in zville wrote this team off. They have proven yet again that a team that works hard in the offseason, play fundamentally sound defense, and limit walks can win regardless of the lineup. They are young and full of talent. The best part of this team in my opinion is their diversity on defense. At last count they have 5 players that can play 3+ positions with little or no problems. That is huge this time of year when you can't ride one horse to glory.
As those around the program will tell you this team is much better top to bottom offensively and can light it up when they need to. This season they have seen almost every teams best and have still managed 21 wins with only 1 setback. I have not seen Jackson play for a couple of seasons and it seems they have a stud on the mound and at the plate with Coyan. I expect this game to finish in the neighborhood of a 7-3 final in favor of the Blue Devils. Good pitching on both sides but aggressive base running and timely hits from batters 6-9 will be the difference.
For those wondering about the Coyan match-up, I doubt very seriously that the number of leftys for the blue devils will truly hinder the offense. Batters 2-6 are all right handed and do have some pop. These kids are competitors and will bring their best.
I hope unlike last year this game is played without injury as the league provides no more than a handshake to the winner. Good luck to both teams, hope to see the Ironmen faithful at the game.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Final standings on page two

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

BDP ... I hear ya on the injury thing -- and the hardware thing. Wuzzup widdat? :122246

Hopefully, the rains hold off tonight and this one gets played cleanly. Field is in great shape. Note to Jackson folks -- bring lawn chairs.

To ZHS from Jackson, hmmm. Depends on which way you come (1701 Blue Avenue, for those of you punching it in to a GPS or printing maps from your computer).

* If by Interstate 70 eastbound, exit at State Street. Turn left at the exit stop sign, and then left again the State Street traffic light. Proceed north on State, which becomes Blue Avenue. Once you pass Adair Avenue (there is a BP/Duke & Duchess on the corner), you will soon start ascending a long rise up toward ZHS (it will be on your left). You can turn in at Roosevelt Middle School (proceed around back of the building and down the drive to where the field is), or you can go up and over the hill to the second entrance to ZHS. Follow that drive around the building, then bear left into the parking area between the old wing and the football stadium. You can park there and walk down to the field if you wish, or you can drive down the hill at the far end and park somewhere down there.

* If coming up into Zanesville from U.S. 22, once you come into downtown Zanesville over the Sixth Street bridge, continue up Sixth (one way; stay left) until you reach I-70. Take the I-70 ramp. Now you have two choices. You can get on I-70 briefly and take the State Street exit (turn right, and then follow the corresponding directions for State/Blue above). Or you can exit right back off I-70 onto Maple Avenue. If you do that, turn left at the first light (Adair Avenue). Proceed to the next light (Blue) and turn right.

Have a safe trip!

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

Rain Rain go away and GO BLUE DEVIL"S......... :122249

Who's pitching for Zville tonite I'd go with Smitty

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Warren 6
Gallia 5

JacksonI
Freshman Team

Post by JacksonI »

Jackson Ironmen Baby just beat Zanesville 9-7 Jackson Ironmen are now league champs=) it was a pretty good game

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Congrats to the Ironmen! 2008 SEOAL Champions!!!

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

WAY TO GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Congrats to Jackson! You beat a very good Zanesville ballclub! The South's hitting must be for real!

Any word on the other 2 games?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Congrats to Jackson

Army
S

Post by Army »

Congratulations from Chillicothe (Jackson Ironmen) :!:

Way to win the SEOAL Championship in an outstanding gut-check comeback win, Ironmen :!:

Way to represent our South Division :!:

Also, congratulations to an outstanding (Zanesville Blue Devil) Team this season. Your record this season, once again proved your school within our SEOAL, fielded yet another top-rated talented baseball team from the North Division. Keep your heads up, your kids had a great record this season.

Good luck to both teams in the playoffs.

GO SEOAL :!: :-D

9697ironmen
Riding the Bench

Post by 9697ironmen »

Condradulations to the IRONMEN. they are truley IRONMEN. the jackson ironmen fell to an early deficit. after four innings of play found themselves down 7-0. in the bottom of the fifth inning the jackson ironmen exploded for 5 runs. four of those coming off of the bat by tyrus coyan (grand slam) homerun #10. trailing 7-5 the ironmen scored 2 more runs in the sixth to tie the game. in the top of the seventh the ironmen were able to take their first lead of the ballgame, anthony malone and chris comer scored on a 2 out single by sophomore eric landrum. Tyrus Coyan pitched a complete game for the win. he was rattled a little early, was missing his spots and giving up a few hits here and there, one of those being a HR. when the IRONMEN bats awoke so did he. in the last two innings the Z-ville blue devils did not have one baserunner. What a great performance by the SEOAL CHAMPION IRONMEN.

Tyrus coyan
chris comer
brandon muzzy
steven ferris
evan osborne
bruce smith

way to go out on top seniors.

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

Listed above --
Jackson 9, Zanesville 7 at Zanesville
(Congratulations to the Ironmen on the championship)
Warren 6, Gallipolis 5 at Warren

Also --
Chillicothe 6, Athens 5 at Athens
Portsmouth 5, Marietta 3 at Marietta
Logan 4, Ironton 3 at Logan

So it was South 3, North 2 but any of the five games could have gone the other way just as easily.... Good competition all the way around

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

9697ironmen wrote:Condradulations to the IRONMEN. they are truley IRONMEN. the jackson ironmen fell to an early deficit. after four innings of play found themselves down 7-0. in the bottom of the fifth inning the jackson ironmen exploded for 5 runs. four of those coming off of the bat by tyrus coyan (grand slam) homerun #10. trailing 7-5 the ironmen scored 2 more runs in the sixth to tie the game. in the top of the seventh the ironmen were able to take their first lead of the ballgame, anthony malone and chris comer scored on a 2 out single by sophomore eric landrum. Tyrus Coyan pitched a complete game for the win. he was rattled a little early, was missing his spots and giving up a few hits here and there, one of those being a HR. when the IRONMEN bats awoke so did he. in the last two innings the Z-ville blue devils did not have one baserunner. What a great performance by the SEOAL CHAMPION IRONMEN.

Tyrus coyan
chris comer
brandon muzzy
steven ferris
evan osborne
bruce smith

way to go out on top seniors.

Wow! Nice comeback by the Ironmen. Great season so far, but it's definitely not over yet. Keep it goin Red!

As 9697ironmen mentioned, a special congratulations to the seniors. SEOAL Champs!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

A 9 to 7 score must have been some game to watch. Lots of O --the way I like it. Once again congrats to Jackson

Return to “Baseball”