Re: OVC 2008

Post by cgbaseballa839 »

im real anxious to see how this one turns out

mcstephen10
Riding the Bench

Post by mcstephen10 »

Tyler Smith is the best ever!
Last edited by mcstephen10 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sonny
Riding the Bench

Post by sonny »

If you actually think he is getting looks at Ohio State, you are out of your mind. Good player but come on and get back down to earth. SP will be good but they dont have what CG and Fairland have this year.

mcstephen10
Riding the Bench

Post by mcstephen10 »

I dont understand how you can say that, I mean South Point is returning 4 starters from last years district semi-final team in Beau Weed, Tyler Smith, Kyle Hughes and Jacob Seagraves. Weed was honorable mention all-conference and Smith was honorable mention all-conference and honorable mention all-district last year. Hughes was the best center fielder in the conference no contest and Seagraves is one of the top hitters in the entire conference. All four of those players can pitch and are pretty good pitchers at that so I'm really not understanding how you can say South Point doesn't have what everyone else has because if you ask me I think they will pretty good and will contend with anybody they play so for everyone that thinks that it is just a no doubter that it will just be Fairland and Coal Grove I think they'll get woke up pretty quick when they see the point this year.

sonny
Riding the Bench

Post by sonny »

SP has four returing starters, well Fairland has eight. CG has several, Fairland will be the team to beat. The players you mentioned are all good but Fairland goes alot deeper in pitching and have the best hitters in the league by far. By the way the starters are all JUNIORS!!! Good luck.

mcstephen10
Riding the Bench

Post by mcstephen10 »

i like how all u ppl put down teams when anything can happen.....its to early to tell anything they can have ppl get hurt before they play each other...u never kno wats gonna happen.. good luck to all teams

SPHSsoftball5
Waterboy

Post by SPHSsoftball5 »

i love how everyone puts down the defending OVC champions. its theirs to loss, you have to knock them off to win. so the first OVC team to knock south point off will be ahead in the game!

sonny
Riding the Bench

Post by sonny »

Nobody is putting them down. It is not like I am saying they stink. The bottom line is that Fairland has a better lineup right now then SP does. We have eight starters back. SP was clearly the best team last year,but it wont happen this year. If we dont play to our potential then we will be where we were last year, right in the middle of the pack. This year and next should be the dragons all the way.

playsports
Waterboy

Post by playsports »

It will be interesting as baseball is a sport that anything can happen on any given day.Several teams will be talented and there is no question that Fairland has quite a bit of that.The juniors on this team are also battle tested from their past statewide appearances.Having said that,Fairland must be prepared to see everbody's guns on a nightly basis.

sonny
Riding the Bench

Post by sonny »

I completely agree with you. They will see the guns every game. You are right, on any given day in baseball you can be beaten. The boys from Fairland need to be reminded of that. They will have to be on the toes every night if they want to bring back the OVC to Proctorville.

cgbaseballa839
Waterboy

Post by cgbaseballa839 »

this season will be one of the best seasons the OVC has seen in a while

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Anyteams getting in scrimmages with the weather? I know Fairland and Rock Hill . What about the rest of the OVC teams?

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

SP beat South Webster 2-0 on wednesday no details i didnt go...heard the pitching for the point did quite well

They were supposed to scrimmage Spring Valley today (thursday) but it got rained out

South Point opens their season @ Green on Monday

sonny
Riding the Bench

Post by sonny »

Fairland 4-1 over SP. Thackston was unbelievable on the mound. He went the distance, what a strong performance. He might not be the fastest in the league but the way he mixes his pitches he shut down SP. His breaking ball was on the money. Seagraves pitched well also. They just didnt have the bats tonight. Thackston had three clutch hits also. Prayers go out to one of their teamates Garrett Boster who suffered an injury in the last game. He is going to be ok but baseball will have to wait.

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

Tyler did pitch very well today but the South Point bats have been quiet all year with the exception of one inning against rock hill not taking anything away from Thackston though he did pitch very well and the 2 big hits for fairland .... If south point would just get their hitting on track they would be fine .... Seagraves did a fine job today on the mound he just got no run support what so ever. With that being said from looking at scores on here after the 1st 2 days of games in ovc its still up for grabs next big game will be Fairland and Coal Grove it sounds like.

Go Point !!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

mcstephen10 wrote:I dont understand how you can say that, I mean South Point is returning 4 starters from last years district semi-final team in Beau Weed, Tyler Smith, Kyle Hughes and Jacob Seagraves. Weed was honorable mention all-conference and Smith was honorable mention all-conference and honorable mention all-district last year. Hughes was the best center fielder in the conference no contest and Seagraves is one of the top hitters in the entire conference. All four of those players can pitch and are pretty good pitchers at that so I'm really not understanding how you can say South Point doesn't have what everyone else has because if you ask me I think they will pretty good and will contend with anybody they play so for everyone that thinks that it is just a no doubter that it will just be Fairland and Coal Grove I think they'll get woke up pretty quick when they see the point this year.

HHMMMMM......interesting.

I believe if I am not mistaken South Point is mid pack in the OVC this year.

I think you jinxed them.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Regulator wrote:Fairland will win the OVC
Rock Hill will finish 2nd
Chesapeake and Coal Grove will battle for 3rd.
South Point could finish 4th or 5th.
River Valley will struggle, again.

I was pretty close to hitting the nail on the head for the OVC season. To me, it was just too predictable. :lol: I will ask this question again. Why are teams down here on the River only playing 12 -15 games a year? As a player I would be upset knowing you can play 27 games. I know there was some rain, but come on. Rock Hill is suppose to have this state of the art facility yet they only have played 12 games. How is this even possible? 2 games a week. Wow!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I completely agree with you.

These coaches who under-schedule think that they can boost their records and get a better seeds in the tourney but being able to pitch their better pitchers in every contest.

In actuality, it is MUCH better to get 20-25 games in and have your team ready for the tournament. You have more games to develop all aspects of their game, most importantly pitching and hitting. This is a tremendous advantage for teams who play alot of games.

20-5 is much better at tourney time than 14-2.

Return to “Baseball”