Minford Falcons @ Wheelersburg Pirates May 2nd

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Re: Minford Falcons @ Wheelersburg Pirates May 2nd

Post by burggrad82 »

What a game Minford came to play , i knew coach Martin would have them ready for round 2. Jared did a great job on the mound It looked like he might have tired in the 6th the ball started to come up and thats all the Burg needed to start scoring runs. Jordan pitched a great game his curveball buckled people tonight i think he had 10 or 11 strike-outs. They hit the ball all night but later in the game they started stringing hits together. I know Jordan went 2-3 with 2 doubles and Dustin, Andrew, Spencer all had doubles also. Peanut, Dustin, Wes, Brian also had muti-hit games. I'm sure I left someone out. If this team keeps pitching and hitting like they are it's going to be a fun tourney. 21-0, SOC Champs again what a team.
Last edited by burggrad82 on Sat May 03, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

Incognito wrote:I think Minford regained some of their respectability.

...and much deservedly so. Minford showed a lot of poise and came from behind on a couple of different occasions to tie the game and did a nice job of making things happen.

Congrats to 'burg on the SOC II. Good luck to both teams in their remaining games and in tournament play. It sure would be nice to see these two teams meet again....with a different result. :-D

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Minford never lost any respect from me. I knew they were a very good baseball team. The 1st meeting in no way represented this team.

Between Farmer and Russell you won't find two better pitchers. A playoff level game last night.

Thinking back on the game and if I remember correctly, all 9 players in Burgs lineup had something positive to contribute offensively. From key hits by Lyon, Russell, Hall, Blevings, White, Elliot and Cook, to the bunt single by Wamsley, to the 2 out single by Hopper later scoring from 1st on Cooks double in the gap to put Burg up 4-3. This is exactly what teamwork it is all about and doing the timely things that win close ball games.

On the down side Burg must cleanup the base running mistakes. 4 base runners were wiped off the bases last night. These things will cost you in a big ball game.

Here is to the seniors from both teams and the memory of an outstanding baseball game.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Did the weather cancel the double header today or are they playing now?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I think it was cancelled, but I'm not sure. I know Bama and little Bama's vehicles were still in the driveway around noon, but they are gone now. Maybe they just moved the time up to a little later in the afternoon. It's probably a good hour or so drive up to Teays Valley since I believe you take the turn there at South Bloomfield to get there.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

It is about 90 minutes to get there. I was going to go but with the rain this morning, I did not feel like I should make such a trip without knowing for sure it was still on.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

You know, it's great that the PDT was there to cover the game and give the kids their due, but they could at least get the facts straight on reporting what happened.

Pirates secure SOC II crown

By Bret Bevens
PDT Sports Writer
Published:
Friday, May 2, 2008 11:36 PM CDT
WHEELERSBURG - Proof of insurance, please.

Wheelersburg didn't provide the insurance to their pitcher Jordan Russell until the final inning in the Pirates 7-3 win over Minford Friday night in Wheelersburg.
Wheelersburg scored the 3 insurance runs in the 6th inning, not the last inning. They never batted in the 7th inning.

The Pirates used timely hitting along with a strong performance from Jordan Russell on the hill to keep their prefect record intact.

Russell went seven innings, giving up three runs on three hits, picking up the win. Russell walked one and sent 10 Falcon batters down on strikes.

Jared Farmer was tagged with the loss for the Falcons. Farmer went six innings, giving up seven runs on 10 hits while walking two and striking out seven.

Wheelersburg went into the home half of the sixth up 4-3 looking for a cushion for Russell to have in the seventh inning. With one gone, Russell started the rally with a double. The next batter, Andrew Elliott, singled advancing Russell to third. Wes Lyon then doubled both runners in and gave Russell two more runs to work with.

Adam Wamsley bunt singled in Lyon to give Russell all the insurance he would need.

"We battled back," said Wheelersburg coach Michael Estep. "We finally got some base runners and some clutch hits. Adam (Wamsley) had a great bunt there (in the seventh inning) to help us out." This was in the 6th, not the 7th. Burg never batted in the 7th.

Wheelersburg struck first in the home half of the second. Bryan White was hit by a pitch, stole second and was singled in by Spencer Hall. White actually advance on a passed ball or a wild pitch and not a steal Hall was later plated on an Elliott double to give the Pirates a 2-0 lead.

Minford answered right back in the top half of the third. A lead-off single by Justin Aeh and a walk to Robbie Matheny set the stage. Matheny attempted to steal second and the throw to get him out ricocheted off his helmet and into center field, allowing Aeh to score. This didn't happen on a steal attempt. It happened when a ball was hit to Bryan White who tried to throw to 2nd to get the double play and unfortunately the ball hit off the runner. Had the ball not hit the runner I believe they would gotten the DP since Elliot was covering 1st base. Keenan Havens later hit a sacrifice fly to center to bring in Matheny, knotting the game at two.

The Pirates added another run in the fourth inning. Kyle Blevings singled and Russell doubled, then Blevings scampered home on a wild pitch to give Wheelersburg the lead. Once again, back soared the Falcons. Matheny drew a walk, stole second and was singled in by Keenan Havens to tie the game again

The Pirates to went work again in the fifth frame. A single by Aaron Hopper and a double by Dustin Cook propelled the Pirates back into the lead.

This time, Minford could not come back, as Russell retired the side in order. Then, Wheelersburg exploded with their big inning, adding three insurance runs to the score and once again, Minford went down in order at the hands of Russell in the seventh to give the Pirates the win.

Russell retired the last seven batters he faced in preserving the win for his team.

"We redeemed ourselves a little bit today," said Minford coach Tim Martin. Martin said his team lost some respect in the community after their loss to Wheelersburg earlier in the year. "I'm proud off the kids. Farmer threw a great game. All that matter is what 15 kids and I think."

BRET BEVENS can be reached at (740) 353-3101 ext. 242

Minford 002 010 0 - 3 3 0

Wheelersburg 020 114 X - 7 10 2

WP: Russell; LP: Farmer

Hitting Leaders

Minford - Havens 1-2 2 RBI.

Wheelersburg - Russell 2-3 2 2B R, Elliott 2-2 2B R RBI, Wamsley 1-2 RBI, Lyon 1-4 2B 2 RBI.

Records - Minford 18-4 (8-3); Wheelersburg 21-0 (12-0).

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Doc, evidently it was cancelled because I just saw the whole gang back out of the driveway in Bama's fathers car and head down the road.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Thanks. I was just being curious.

Enemy of State_98
Riding the Bench

Post by Enemy of State_98 »

I thought this game was what both teams needed in that the burg had a game where they had to battle the whole way and the whole batting order had to step up as they did with 10 or 11 hits with all nine hitters getting at least one hit and for minford to prove that they were a very good baseball team and i'm sure gained the respect back from everyone in the soc.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

BULDOG wrote: On the down side Burg must cleanup the base running mistakes. 4 base runners were wiped off the bases last night. These things will cost you in a big ball game.

I think you have to give credit to some incredible pick off moves by Farmer and Oesch has been lights out behind the plate all year. I think there has only been 1 or 2 bases stolen on him all year and he has to have thrown out 10-15 runners (or more) attempting to steal. It was a quality game between 2 quality teams and the boys (on both teams) stepped up to make some big plays.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:You know, it's great that the PDT was there to cover the game and give the kids their due, but they could at least get the facts straight on reporting what happened.

That's the media for you and the Times has always seemed to have problems getting the facts and stats straight. They were that way 25 years ago, as well as with the stats from Minford's game last week against Coal Grove that were wrong, to this article and a thousand in between. I guess the good side is at least they covered the game.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote:
BULDOG wrote: On the down side Burg must cleanup the base running mistakes. 4 base runners were wiped off the bases last night. These things will cost you in a big ball game.

I think you have to give credit to some incredible pick off moves by Farmer and Oesch has been lights out behind the plate all year. I think there has only been 1 or 2 bases stolen on him all year and he has to have thrown out 10-15 runners (or more) attempting to steal. It was a quality game between 2 quality teams and the boys (on both teams) stepped up to make some big plays.

Yep... Didn't mean to take anything away from Farmers move (which is a good one) or Oesch behind the plate.

Just that Burg has not been challenged on the base paths and they get too comfortable with large leads since not many even throw the ball over. Again these are the little things that can cost a team a tourney game.

Return to “Baseball”