Burg Baseball 2008

BULDOG
All Conference

Burg Baseball 2008

Post by BULDOG »

Let's give this another try. First thread was getting sorta out of hand, off topic and has been removed.

Returning all but 1 from last years District Final team, Burg should be a top contender in the league and the state. Also returning are all 4 of the starting pitching rotation from the 07 team with several additional players able to provide solid pitching depth as well. Burg should have 6-7 players that could provide pitching depth and rest to the starting rotation. With the summer schedules and off season winter work these players have put in, has only made them better in this department. Great thing to have in a HS team.

Offensively, Burg returns 5-6 of the starters that hit near or over .400 last season. Of these starters I believe 7 players had hit at least 1 HR last season. 5 of which were all conference and all SE district selections. Another season of experience, weights and conditioning, this team could provide even more pop in the hitting department from top to bottom.

Defensively, Burg returns probably the top SS in the area in Wamsley as well as his pitching. Additionally adding Armstrong/Russell at C, 1B White, 3B Lyon and 2B Elliott provides a solid infield. With Blevings LF, Cook CF and Hopper RF should provide a solid OF group with good gloves, speed and range.

Depth on the bench also should provide rest for the starting lineup as well as they are nearly as solid as the starters. Not a big drop off when it comes to bench play.

It looks to be an exciting season for Burg Baseball in 08.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

It will come down to the usual suspects for the Division 3 District titles this spring. Burg is loaded, maybe the best team in that talented program in years. Adena returns their entire pitching staff from the tough SVC. Zane Trace returns a lot and Westfall has two of the best players in district in Fullen and Cline. There will be some great games as usual at tourney time.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

This team honestly has the ability to be the best team EVER at Wheelersburg. Yes, even more talent than the '96 State Champion Team. That being said, there is a lot of work to do and they will have to do everything right to reach the same level of other teams the Burg has had.

sinker
Freshman Team

Post by sinker »

with the talent in the sophmore and freshmen class burg should be loaded for the next 3 or 4 years!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Burg should have a phenominal team.

I think that in the SOC Minford will give them fits. I believe the SOC will come down to the winner of the 2 Minford vs Burg ballgames. Both are returning tremendous talent both on the mound, in the field and at the plate.

I wouldnt be suprised if they both go unbeaten and split their 2 game series for a tie for the SOC title this year.

free safety
Riding the Bench

Post by free safety »

This team should be deep on Pitching and Defense, what about hitting who will be the longball threat and consistant hitters to watch for. How many of these kids played summer or fall ball.

free safety
Riding the Bench

Post by free safety »

The JV should have a very good season, with the boys from last year like Brandon Hall, Bryce Hall, leach, Holbrook, Kemper, Twinam plus add in the freshman Parsley, Timberlake, Luster, Stegman etc... I would put this years JV team up against alot of Varsity teams. The Burgs future looks good for more than just this year.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

free safety wrote:This team should be deep on Pitching and Defense, what about hitting who will be the longball threat and consistant hitters to watch for. How many of these kids played summer or fall ball.

Burg returns several players that hit long balls last season. Bryan White led the HR charge with 6 I believe followed by Wamsley, Hopper, Cook and Blevings. Several JV'er hit dingers as well like Montavan, Kemper, and Hall. Burg has 5-6 returning players that hit near or above .400 on the season.

I believe almost all the Burg starters played summer and/or fall ball somewhere. From Legion to Columbus in the summer and Rio in the fall.

Should be an exciting season in Wheelersburg.

sportsjunkie
Waterboy

Post by sportsjunkie »

Maddog you seem to know the players for Wheelersburg pretty well maybe you can fill me in on one of your players. I was at a combine in Dayton put on by the Brewers and thier was a kid there by the last name of Russell. That kid had the livest arm there his pop time from home was under 2 the Brewers were intrested in him catching my question is how much pitching does he do because it has to interfear with his catching?

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

deleted
Last edited by oldschooler on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Russell doesn't catch very often for the Burg. Armstrong usually takes care of the catching duties for the Pirates.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Yes Russell is a pretty solid catcher. Actually I have heard that a few minor league scouts were very impressed by him as a catcher at some of the camps he has attended.

The problem is that he is Burgs #1 pitcher and it usually means he does not catch at all during is off days.

Also as far as I know Russell has not committed to any college as of yet.

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

deleted
Last edited by oldschooler on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Oldschooler, Yep I agree. Russell should play summer ball or at least hook up with a summer team and play a few showcase events to get seen.

At this point I'm not sure how serious Russell is about playing college ball. He has the correct people to make the contacts in Coach Schuler, Estep and Martin. If he wants to play I'm sure they can find him a home.

sportsjunkie
Waterboy

Post by sportsjunkie »

oldschooler just asked about a kid from my old area I grew up in. My grandson was in a showcase in Zenia and so was the Russell boy. I know his pop time was 1.8 3 out of 5 times. He hit two out during batting and showed power Don't know his 60 time or his fastball speed but he pitched well striking out a few in 2 innings. I just thought he looked the strongest behind the plate as did the scout from the Brewers. Don't know anymore than that.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

sports junkie thanks for asking Jordan has alot of opportunities in front of him its overwelming, pm me and i'll bring you to date. I hear your grandson signed down south tell him good luck.
Last edited by burggrad82 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

Jordan has a very bright future in baseball. Although he is solid behind the plate and swings the bat very well, his future is on the mound.

Look for a very strong senior season from Jordan and the Pirates.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

oldschooler he may not play for the local legion team but I think he has options to play summer ball with his older brother on a College wood bat team out of Chillicothe. I'm sure the talent level will be much greater than what he will see at the legion level. The Capitals play in the Tristate collegiate wood bat league with teams from Columbus, Toledo, Cleveland, Youngstown, Pittsburg and chillicothe. He will be challenged.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

From the sound of things Jordan and his parents have things under control. I wish Jordan good luck in his search and hope he finds what he wants in a college and baseball program. He will be an asset to anyones program.

Looking forward to seeing him and the Burg team play this spring. Should be an exciting season.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

What does the Burg's schedule look like this spring?

Return to “Baseball”