Best fields in southeastern Ohio

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Best fields in southeastern Ohio

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Who has the best baseball fields in southeastern Ohio?

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

It depends on what you are looking for...

Best atmosphere for fans
Best playing surface for the players
Best overall park
Best hitter's park/dimensions

Maybe even best concession stand...

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but most parks are "best" at something.

PeteRoseHOF
Riding the Bench

Post by PeteRoseHOF »

Hagerty Field at Northwest High School. Those guys are relentless in their upkeep and it shows. Good luck this year Coach Dettwiler, Powell and Havens. I'll be back down this year to see you guys when the St. Joe Flyers come to visit. It will be strange being on the other end of the spectrum.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

G W McLintock wrote:It depends on what you are looking for...

Best atmosphere for fans
Best playing surface for the players
Best overall park
Best hitter's park/dimensions

Maybe even best concession stand...

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but most parks are "best" at something.

atmosphere for fans... probably Southern... always a roudy time at those games... lol

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Atmosphere? Anytime there is a SVC war between Adena, Unioto or Zane Trace. Last year's Adena-ZT regional game at the VA was big time.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Doesn't Nelson-York have a new field?

What is it like?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Just my opinion but..

Best atmosphere for the fans- Athens High's Rannow Field, great concessions, shelter and shade for the fans not to mention Tom Metters spinning the hits (Dolly and the Statler Brothers) from the press box. It has lights and the on field conditions are improving.

Best location with lots of potential- Alexander High School, a relatively new field with a nice sloping area behind home plate, great place to watch from a lawn chair, plenty of parking and close to the field. Good playing surface. Needs a scoreboard and concession stand.

Best stadium design- Vinton County High School, the dugout/bleacher/shelter/raised fan area is very nice and the field surface is getting better. Also a newer park. Needs a concession stand.

Best playing surface- Federal Hocking. Crushed brick and beautiful grass. The backstop and dugouts are not fancy but very adequate for a field on the outskirts of Sturt. The silo and cows make this a runner up in the scenic view category. Ample parking and good concessions.

Best scenic view- Southern High School, beautiful location in the middle of a park and along the Ohio River. The "steam" from the power plant is a concern but boy the grass stays really green. I have not seen the field lately but I hear they are making major improvements.

Best place to watch a game with little kids- A tie between Belpre and Trimble. Anytime your field is in the middle of a park and there is entertainment (teeter totters etc.) for the little ones it's a plus. Trimble's field is walking distance to the Dairy Queen and that's also a plus.

Best field to watch two games at once- Eastern High School. The baseball and softball fields are kind of back to back. You can stand behind the backstop and be just outside the right field softball fence. Obviously the softball right fielder gets a lot of foul baseballs. Surface needs work.

Best place to watch a game from the bed of your truck- Miller High School. Tough location for a field. Must be a bear to maintain.

Best concessions- Waterford High School. The concessions overshadow the field. This field also wins the best hitter's field category. Be careful where you sit.

:razz:

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

G W McLintock wrote:Just my opinion but..

Best atmosphere for the fans- Athens High's Rannow Field, great concessions, shelter and shade for the fans not to mention Tom Metters spinning the hits (Dolly and the Statler Brothers) from the press box. It has lights and the on field conditions are improving.

Best location with lots of potential- Alexander High School, a relatively new field with a nice sloping area behind home plate, great place to watch from a lawn chair, plenty of parking and close to the field. Good playing surface. Needs a scoreboard and concession stand.

Best stadium design- Vinton County High School, the dugout/bleacher/shelter/raised fan area is very nice and the field surface is getting better. Also a newer park. Needs a concession stand.

Best playing surface- Federal Hocking. Crushed brick and beautiful grass. The backstop and dugouts are not fancy but very adequate for a field on the outskirts of Sturt. The silo and cows make this a runner up in the scenic view category. Ample parking and good concessions.

Best scenic view- Southern High School, beautiful location in the middle of a park and along the Ohio River. The "steam" from the power plant is a concern but boy the grass stays really green. I have not seen the field lately but I hear they are making major improvements.

Best place to watch a game with little kids- A tie between Belpre and Trimble. Anytime your field is in the middle of a park and there is entertainment (teeter totters etc.) for the little ones it's a plus. Trimble's field is walking distance to the Dairy Queen and that's also a plus.

Best field to watch two games at once- Eastern High School. The baseball and softball fields are kind of back to back. You can stand behind the backstop and be just outside the right field softball fence. Obviously the softball right fielder gets a lot of foul baseballs. Surface needs work.

Best place to watch a game from the bed of your truck- Miller High School. Tough location for a field. Must be a bear to maintain.

Best concessions- Waterford High School. The concessions overshadow the field. This field also wins the best hitter's field category. Be careful where you sit.

:razz:

I remember hearing tom metters during the legion games tellin about those world famous roo beer floats... lol the johnny cash in between innings also puts a smile on ppls faces lol... and the steam from the powerplants have helped with our grass infield he just got lol . G_W if you want to know the score again this season at Southern just yell at me again and ill lyk.. lol

maninthemiddle
Waterboy

Post by maninthemiddle »

Give the new field at Zanesville 2 more years and it will be one of the nicest. Coach Balo and Basball boosters have put in huge amounts of time and money. With the money situation at the school most money provided by donation and fundraising. The softball field and baseball field were built at the same time about 4 years ago. Nobody took the helm to get softball field ready to play, but the baseball coach and booster club has the baseball field where it is at. Played a partial schedule there last year and a full legion schedule last summer. This will be the first full HS schedule on the field. Softball field hasn't been played on yet. A big Thanks to the American Legion Post 29 for dontating the money for the material and labor to build the dugouts. Some of the nicest dugouts around.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

noreply66 wrote:Doesn't Nelson-York have a new field?

What is it like?

Nelsonville-York will have brand new baseball and softball fields built at district-level standards. They have not been built yet, but will be soon, as they are included in the athletic facility rennovations at NYHS. I don't know if the construction on the baseball field and new concession stand will take place this coming summer or summer 2009, or if improvements will be made in both summers, but NY will have the new baseball and softball fields within the next couple years. After that, the only facility left to rennovate will be Ben Wagner Gymnasium for boys and girls basketball and girls volleyball, and it will be rennovated during the year NYHS will be closed down and completely rennovated, which should happen during the 2009-2010 school year, if the new junior high is built on time. During that one year, the new junior high will serve as the temporary high school while the high school is rennovated.

I can't wait to see what the baseball field will look like after it's rennovated. Every rennovation so far - new weight room, new wrestling room, Boston Field, and the track and field rennovations have been outstanding and breathtaking, and I'm sure the baseball field will provide the same end results.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

Minford Coach Martin has done a great job putting that field together

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

maninthemiddle wrote:Give the new field at Zanesville 2 more years and it will be one of the nicest. Coach Balo and Basball boosters have put in huge amounts of time and money. With the money situation at the school most money provided by donation and fundraising. The softball field and baseball field were built at the same time about 4 years ago. Nobody took the helm to get softball field ready to play, but the baseball coach and booster club has the baseball field where it is at. Played a partial schedule there last year and a full legion schedule last summer. This will be the first full HS schedule on the field. Softball field hasn't been played on yet. A big Thanks to the American Legion Post 29 for dontating the money for the material and labor to build the dugouts. Some of the nicest dugouts around.

The dugouts are very nice but the surface needs alot more work. Watch your step going down that steep hill to the field!

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Unioto high school home of the Shermans 3 straight years as the DII SE District field of the year. A special thanks out to Duane Doo Daddy Potter who works relentlessly year round on the place.

9697ironmen
Riding the Bench

Post by 9697ironmen »

I think if Vinton County added a concession, and 2 additional set of bleachers, one on each side of the one section they already have, it would be a great place to watch and play baseball. With more seating they could host some nice district games. ( the field is great for hitters, no so much for the pitching staffs.)

coach ward is doing a nice job with the field.

"Every strike brings me closer to my next homerun" -Babe Ruth-
JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

"DII SE District field of the year"

I've never in my life heard of such an award. Since when did they start giving an award for the "FIELD of the year?"

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Frozen Rope given every year at the district all star game at the VA stadium. I believe last years winners was DII Unioto, DIII Valley, DIV White Oak. Ask you head coach, it is voted on during the district all star selections.

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

to be honest hegarty field isn't nor has it been the same since Hags left. a little bit of work and it will back to the best. it could use a new wind screen and i would love to see it with a warning track and some lights

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Hags put everything into Northwest baseball.
I'm sure they miss him.

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

he worked on the field for hours at a time, all year around. one saturday we was at some little league fields he dug out the pitching mound, putting all the crushed brick on a tarp. then he put all the dirt back by the handfuls

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

PeteRoseHOF wrote:Hagerty Field at Northwest High School. Those guys are relentless in their upkeep and it shows. Good luck this year Coach Dettwiler, Powell and Havens. I'll be back down this year to see you guys when the St. Joe Flyers come to visit. It will be strange being on the other end of the spectrum.

Hagerty Field was nice but honestly I have not seen it for a few years.

Return to “Baseball”