sportsjunkie
Waterboy

2008 grads commited to play college baseball

Post by sportsjunkie »

names and colleges the boys have chosen

thenino
Freshman Team

Post by thenino »

Jared Farmer from Minford signed to play ball with Mount Vernon this past week.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I've talked to Rob Matheny from Minford and he is looking at Shawnee State.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I would have thought Farmer would have ended up playing in a bigger division in college than Mt Vernon, or possibly getting drafted out of high school.

In junior high and his first couple years in High School he had all the stuff. He threw hard, had good off speed pitches and good location. He is one heck of a pitcher, but I think he played so much with so many teams, especially in the summer, that he didnt do his arm justice.

Good to see any local kids going to the next level, but I guess I had Farmer on a pedistal by himself.

Not saying that a kid cant go from a Mt Vernon on to do more past a college career, I am tickled to see him moving on to the next level after he graduates this spring.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Bleeding Red wrote:I would have thought Farmer would have ended up playing in a bigger division in college than Mt Vernon, or possibly getting drafted out of high school.

In junior high and his first couple years in High School he had all the stuff. He threw hard, had good off speed pitches and good location. He is one heck of a pitcher, but I think he played so much with so many teams, especially in the summer, that he didnt do his arm justice.

Good to see any local kids going to the next level, but I guess I had Farmer on a pedistal by himself.

Not saying that a kid cant go from a Mt Vernon on to do more past a college career, I am tickled to see him moving on to the next level after he graduates this spring.

He probably could've went to a bigger school, but maybe this was a good fit for him. Choosing the wrong school can make it a miserable experience.

I praise Jared and his family for not getting caught up in all the D1 hype and hopefully choosing a school he will enjoy along with enjoying the game of baseball. Also with his academic status i'm sure he landed some dollars there as well.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Mt. Vernon Naz has its share of players that has signed professional contracts including two that pitched in the majors. Tim Belcher and Marty McCleary.

It is a pitching factory. Caleb Wright from Zane Trace will be one of their starters on the hill this spring after pitching ZT to the Regional Finals last year.

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Congrats to this young man. Always nice to see these young people being rewarded for all of their hard work and dedication to something they love doing. Mr. Farmer made a great decision in signing early and to a great college.

Bleeding Red, Mr. Farmer got offered what he got because of playing so much baseball, including summer ball. It did not hurt him in any way, he is playing at the next level, that was his goal I am sure. I look forward to watching him this spring and summer.

Has anyone else signed yet?

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Shawn Cook signed with Rio Grande according to Lance Davis, Post 23 assistant coach and Jared Farmer, teammate at Minford, who happens to be sitting in our living room NOW.!

thenino
Freshman Team

Post by thenino »

alabama mike wrote:Shawn Cook signed with Rio Grande according to Lance Davis, Post 23 assistant coach and Jared Farmer, teammate at Minford, who happens to be sitting in our living room NOW.!

how convenient.. lol :-D

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

get drafted out of high school, wow ! he stuff is not that good, D1 still not good enough !!!! where he is going is where he can play. How many schools were actually looking at looking at him? I don't think you guys realize exactly what it takes to be drafted out of high school and to obtain a D1 scholarship!!

Big Red
Riding the Bench

2008 grads committed to college

Post by Big Red »

why would anyone be negative towards a kid!unless you may be a little jealous dog d dog the kid is a fine talent!

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

I am glad for the kid, I am just saying alot of people in this area don't know what a d1 player has to have , he is going to a place where he can play and not sit the bench there BIG RED.

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Little Doggy, did you get drafted or play at Div 1 level?

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

No , but i have been involved with enough scouts to no what they are looking for and what they deem to be a draftee. :-D Do you old school? :?:

thenino
Freshman Team

Re: 2008 grads commited to play college baseball

Post by thenino »

Jared chose a school where he will fit in well and get a lot of playing time early.. I'm sure that he will have success at Mount Vernon and maybe develop his skills enough to be able to play at the next level. Good Luck Farmer.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

thenino wrote:Jared chose a school where he will fit in well and get a lot of playing time early.. I'm sure that he will have success at Mount Vernon and maybe develop his skills enough to be able to play at the next level. Good Luck Farmer.

Great post Nino. Good luck to Jared on his future endeavors. 8)

bulkmove
Freshman Team

Post by bulkmove »

I think Jared made a great choice at Mount Vernon. Every year they compete for a championship and an chance for the NAIA National Tournament. IMO, great move and good luck to this young man.

Foolsgold
Riding the Bench

Post by Foolsgold »

Congratulations Jared and best of best of luck in College, Baseball, and life. Great talent and great kid.

Did anyone see his performance on the mound at the final game of the Rio Grande fall league? A masterful nine-inning performance against a very good hitting team.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

Not to change the subject, but what happened to Josh Newman from Wheelersburg after his career at Ohio State?

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Trooper wrote:Not to change the subject, but what happened to Josh Newman from Wheelersburg after his career at Ohio State?

Newman went on and was drafted by the Colorado Rockies organization after his career at Ohio State. Spent 4 seasons in the Colorado A, AA, and AAA farm system and just last summer was call up to the bigs. Pitched in a couple games late last summer. Short outings as he is sort of a specialty/setup guy. Looks to have a chance to be on the Rockies roster again this spring.

Return to “Baseball”