Best Coach in the TVC

Marauder_2010
Freshman Team

Best Coach in the TVC

Post by Marauder_2010 »

i saw this on the basketball forum so i thought id try it out on baseball lol.....who is the best coach in the TVC???

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Fear The Rock...

grizzlyman
Waterboy

Post by grizzlyman »

GW how many league titles does he have?..I know it's a bunch!

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

He has several. Orestes will probably know.

grizzlyman
Waterboy

Post by grizzlyman »

That is a beautiful background is that Eastern's field behind the team?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

That is Eastern's field I believe. I think Rocky has just picked up his 200th win.

He won TVC titles in 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006.

He won sectional titles in 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, and 2005.

He made District Finals in 2003, 2004, and 2005.

He went to the Elite Eight in 2004.

This is just my opinion, but two of his most talented teams were teams that didn't achieve quite as much as some others.

In 2002, his team was coming back from a close 2nd place TVC finish, and a Sectional title in 2001. The 2001 team lost 5-0 to Regional bound Wheelersburg in Districts with 3 starters ineligible, including the top 2 pitchers. They also stranded 10 baserunners in that game. FH returned 8 starters from that team, and started the 2002 season 11-1. That record included a mercy rule win over a top 10 D2 team that ended up in District Finals. However, FH lost a tough/controversial 13th game, and collapsed to a 17-10 overall record. Several players just quit playing with any effort or focus, and that was coupled with some personal issues with the coach which kept the team from practicing much. A waste of a team that year.

In 2006, FH had maybe the best team Rocky has coached. Not only were they solid at every position, but they had two genuine aces on the pitching staff. Usually, that is enough to make a big time tournament run. That team played a brutal schedule, including Jefferson (OH), Aurora (OH), Warren, Gallia, and Marrietta. They also played the top teams from the Ohio Division. They finished the season with a 23-4 record, and a TVC title. However, they were upset by Belpre in the tournament, a team they handled easily earlier in the season. That team had regionals or final four written all over it. They were probably a legit state title contender.

It seems that some of Rocky's best seasons have come when expectations were low. Though, the 2004 team was expected to be good, and proved to be just that. Baseball is all about pitching, defense, and timely hitting.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

How many years has he been the Head Coach at Federal Hocking? Has he been a Head Coach at any other high school?

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

TVC Ohio - Grimm (Meigs), Ward (Vinton County), Grigsby and staff (Alexander)

TVC Hocking - Bowen (Eastern)

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

FrozenRope9 wrote:TVC Ohio - Grimm (Meigs), Ward (Vinton County), Grigsby and staff (Alexander)

How many league titles has Eastern won under Bowen?

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

G W McLintock wrote:
FrozenRope9 wrote:TVC Ohio - Grimm (Meigs), Ward (Vinton County), Grigsby and staff (Alexander)

How many league titles has Eastern won under Bowen?

If he was the coach in 2002, I think they won it that year. So, that's one.

Apparently Rocky isn't the most likeable guy :roll: , but really he's a big teddy bear. :lol:
Last edited by Orestes on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Bozo wrote:How many years has he been the Head Coach at Federal Hocking? Has he been a Head Coach at any other high school?

He told me that he coached a couple of season's in the early/mid 90's sometime. That was at Federal Hocking also.

He started his current stint in the Spring of '98. So, in 10 seasons he has won 6 TVC titles, and never finished worse than 2nd. He has also never won less than 17 games in a season. This all happening at a school that hadn't won a TVC title in decades before the Rock.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

As far as I knew, this thread asked for each posters OPINION on who the best coaches in the TVC are. I'm sorry I have a different OPINION than most of you. It doesn't mean I don't like Fed. Hock's coach or that I have something against him, it just means that I don't base my OPINION on how many league titles a coach has won when I decide who I think is the best coach...therefore my OPINION is that Coach Bowen is the best coach in the TVC Hocking Division. Coach Brunty obviously is a good coach based on his success at Fed. Hock. But I still feel that Coach Bowen is at the top. Once again, sorry to offend so many with my OPINION.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

FrozenRope9 wrote:As far as I knew, this thread asked for each posters OPINION on who the best coaches in the TVC are. I'm sorry I have a different OPINION than most of you. It doesn't mean I don't like Fed. Hock's coach or that I have something against him, it just means that I don't base my OPINION on how many league titles a coach has won when I decide who I think is the best coach...therefore my OPINION is that Coach Bowen is the best coach in the TVC Hocking Division. Coach Brunty obviously is a good coach based on his success at Fed. Hock. But I still feel that Coach Bowen is at the top. Once again, sorry to offend so many with my OPINION.

I would have taken it this way had the Ohio Division only had one selection. However, half of the league's coaches were worthy of a mention on your list.

It's ok. I'm fine that you have the opinion. However, when a school has been a loser for a long time, a new coach takes over, they suddenly begin dominating the league, then he doesn't get a mention on the list of the league's best coaches, one has to wonder if there is an "outside" reason for the opinion.

If we're listing good coaches, then Southern's coach needs a mention too. He has turned them around, and has really boosted the excitement.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

TVC Ohio - Grimm, Ward, Grigsby

TVC Hocking - Bowen, Brunty, Lemley

Hope this is better and makes everyone a little happier. Again, I have absolutely NOTHING against Coach Brunty (I don't even know the man). I was simply basing my opinion on what I know about Coach Bowen and his knowledge, hard work, and dedication to the game and to Eastern Baseball. But you're right, if I was going to list more than one in the Ohio then I should have listed more than one in the Hocking too. My bad.
Last edited by JoeGatto on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

FrozenRope9 wrote:TVC Ohio - Grimm, Ward, Grigsby

TVC Hocking - Bowen, Brunty, Lemley

Hope this is better and makes every a little happier. Again, I have absolutely NOTHING against Coach Brunty (I don't even know the man). I was simply basing my opinion on what I know about Coach Bowen and his knowledge, hard work, and dedication to the game and to Eastern Baseball. But you're right, if I was going to list more than one in the Ohio then I should have listed more than one in the Hocking too. My bad.

Hey. I think I wrote a little more harshly than how I meant it to read. I just expected someone to "not like" Coach Brunty, because my first impression of the man (years ago) was not a good one. However, it didn't take long to figure out that he isn't as loud and gruff as he seemed, and I know he can rub someone that way.

Also, I don't want to come across like I have a "hero worship" situation when it comes to Coach Brunty. GW and Steely both know that I have my disagreements with the Rock. The Rock knows as well. However, he cares a lot about the kids and the program, and the kids like him. It's hard to do much better than that in small school Ohio. Plus, his results are very good, so maybe I should open my eyes and learn something :-D

Again, sorry to attack your picks. For some reason it just hit me as if you were making a statement by leaving the Rock off the list. Guess I'm a bit overly defensive. :shock:

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

We'll leave the "hero worship" posts to the poster by the name of JayKlineFan over on the basketball board. Wow is all I've got to say about him or her! LOL :lol:

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Hmmmm.... Maybe Orestes and JayKlineFan are the same poster? Now that you mention it....

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

G W McLintock wrote:Hmmmm.... Maybe Orestes and JayKlineFan are the same poster? Now that you mention it....

lol. :lol: Not me. Buuuuut.....I might be aware of the identity...... :-D

A pure clown this guy, and not my bro btw....

Off to the Dairy Queen for me.....

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

Jay Cline is the best coach in the TVC...........

Sorry, I could not help myself!!!!!!!!

Return to “Baseball”