Legion Ball? Mcarhtur, Wellston, or Jackson

MVP
Waterboy

Legion Ball? Mcarhtur, Wellston, or Jackson

Post by MVP »

Will McArthurs legion baseball team still be active this summer? I also heard the rumor that Wellston or Jackson may get a team together, is this true at all?

Im wanting to join a team once summer is near and need to look at my options. Thanks!

Also, what is the age limit for legion ball?

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: Legion Ball? Mcarhtur, Wellston, or Jackson

Post by hawkeyepierce »

The Robert A. Wycoff American Legion Post 303 in McArthur WILL have a team. And there has been Jackson, Wellston and McArthur kids said that they were committed to playing for Post 303. So any rumor to the contrary is FALSE.

The age is 19. You can not turn 20 this year, so anyone born before January 1, 1989 will be ineligible.

MVP
Waterboy

Post by MVP »

Thats extremely disappionting. I turn 20 in October..... was hoping to play for 303 this summer, as I neglected to the last few years. I was on the 1st team they had back a few years ago.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

I think Wellston, Jackson, or even Oak Hill should look into starting a team. The more places to the play the better the game of baseball will be. Before Hawkeye says it will dilute the talent level, what exactly has McCarthur Legion done over the past 3 years? What were the records? I don't think they have been tearing up the wins over the past with it being the only team available. So give more kids a chance to play. Many Oak Hill boys and Jackson boys don't want to travel 45 minutes a day (especially with gas prices).

Foolsgold
Riding the Bench

Post by Foolsgold »

There is an effort to form a Legion team in Jackson County right now. The team is suppose to play in Jackson, Oak Hill, and Wellston. It’s my understanding that money has and is being raised right now for a team. A golf scramble at Franklin valley golf course will be held (the 26th I think, not sure) to help raise money. Will Haislop is the person you need to contact concerning the formation of this new Legion team.

MVP
Waterboy

Post by MVP »

Thats somewhat what I heard Foolsgold.

Can someone explain to me why a 19 year old is ineligible to play when the legion season is well over before January. I turn 20 in October like I stated, but the season would be well over before then, so I would be 19 the whole time. So then why wouldnt I be eligible to play?

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I do not care what anyone does, Post 303 WILL PLAY BASEBALL THIS SUMMER. The McArthur Legion has for the past three seasons put a team on the field so that it has given kids an opportunity to play summer baseball. As far as win/losses we have done alright, considering that we have only four high schools to draw from.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

MVP wrote:Thats somewhat what I heard Foolsgold.

Can someone explain to me why a 19 year old is ineligible to play when the legion season is well over before January. I turn 20 in October like I stated, but the season would be well over before then, so I would be 19 the whole time. So then why wouldnt I be eligible to play?

Legion rules you cannot be 19 before Jan 1st the year you play thus you are ineligible to play due to age.
If you are 20 and playing college baseball there are leagues you can play in.

MVP
Waterboy

Post by MVP »

That sucks for me. Im not currently playing college ball, but was hoping to play in some league this summer.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

There is talk that rule will change, the other way. I will expect in the next year or two, that you can not be 19 and play Legion Baseball, it has become a safety concern that collegiate age players are playing against sophomores and juniors in high school.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

I agree why would a kid go back to playing legion. No challenge.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

BF76, they do it all of the time.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

HP - Nice location :lol: , but I don't ever see that happening........

McArthur will field a nice team this year, I'm sure. That would be great if a legion team was formed in Jackson County, one is definitely needed.

The McArthur team has great support from the community, and dedicated coaches that pour their heart and soul into that team. No need to try and disparage their program, as it is not warranted.

Good luck with the team and Jackson county, it would be great to have more teams in the SE district.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

hawkeyepierce wrote:There is talk that rule will change, the other way. I will expect in the next year or two, that you can not be 19 and play Legion Baseball, it has become a safety concern that collegiate age players are playing against sophomores and juniors in high school.

I remember my first year of legion ball, i was entering my junior year and i remember batting agaist college pitchers... i didnt like it at the time, the though of faceing a college pitcher was good, but it did help me in High School ball... Do you really think there will be a rule hange hp???

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

It was mentioned at the State Meeting this past February, I am almost certain it will be done.

Return to “Baseball”