Wheelersburg vs Waverly round 2

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Wheelersburg vs Waverly round 2

Post by burggrad82 »

Wheelersburg vs Waverly round 2 only team to give the pirates fits, should be Russell on the mound again. what do you think?

BULDOG
All Conference

Re: Wheelersburg vs Waverly round 2

Post by BULDOG »

burggrad82 wrote:Wheelersburg vs Waverly round 2 only team to give the pirates fits, should be Russell on the mound again. what do you think?

I look for Russell or Wamsley. Both have been pitching well. Russell would be my choice although Waverly hit him pretty hard in the 3rd inning last game but that was due to him losing his breaking ball and forced to rely on his fastball too much. I don't see that happening in this game. Wamsley may be a good choice as well as he can throw alot of off speed stuff and has excellent control.

Hopefully the offensive production is better than the last game or it will go down to the wire again.

I believe this Burg team has improved both offensively and in the pitching department over their 1st meeting. Waverly will have to bring their "A" game tonight.

Just keep in mind that Waverly knocked off the Burg 3 years ago about this same time.

Burg just needs to stay focused and play one game at a time.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

Is this game tonight or Wednesday?

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

Waverly ('06) is The Burg's only loss in the SOC in the past 4 yrs.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

Ill take the Burg in this one, again! Hopefully Jordan throws a good game or how ever is on the Hill!! Good Luck in Waverly this evening.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

pcohio wrote:Is this game tonight or Wednesday?

I'm pretty sure it's tonight.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

It is tonight. Game was rescheduled

08' Pirate
Waterboy

Post by 08' Pirate »

its gonna be a tough game, but as long as the pirates offense does its job they should come out on top!....

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

where is this game?

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

biggdowgg wrote:where is this game?

I think it is @ Waverly.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Any word yet on how this game turned out?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I just heard that the Burg won 3-1.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Thanks for letting us know! :lol:

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Great ball game at Waverly last night as the 3-1 score would indicate.

A pitching duel between 2 of the top pitchers in the area in Russell of Burg and Roberson of Waverly. Both were solid on the hill and went the distance. Roberson is difficult to hit with the mix of his lefty curve and high fastball and his ability to locate.
Russell showed some nasty breaking balls as well, kept the ball down in the zone and his pitch count was low. I believe he was well under 100 in 7 innings of work. Roberson probably scattered 7 or 8 hits over 7 striking out maybe 8 or 9. Russell maybe gave up 3-4 hits on the night striking out around 8 or 9 as well. Roberson is probably the best pitcher Burg has seen this season in comparison to Bricker of West. Although it appears that Roberson seems a little harder for Burg to hit.

Burg would score in the top of the 1st when Wamlsey hit a hard groundball past 3B that he stretched it into an extra base. He would steal 3rd and score on the throwing error to 3B. The score would remain 1-0 until the bottom of the 5th when Waverly would get the lead-off runner aboard and score on an RBI single to RF. With the score tied at 1-1 in the top of 6, Burg would plate another run to take the lead 2-1 with a 2 out RBI triple by Spencer Hall into the RF corner to score White from 2nd. Burg would add another to go up 3-1 in the top of the 7th with a leadoff single by Elliott. Wes Lyon would bunt him to 2nd. Waverly then chose to intentionally walk Wamsley to setup the force play with 1 out. Elliott would score from 2nd on Hoppers RBI single into LF. Waverly would get a runner on with 1 out in the bottom of the 7th, but a diving catch on a hard hit ball in the LF gap by Blevings and a strikeout by Russell would end the game.

Oh.. I also wanted to mention that Burg had outstanding defensive play as well. In addition to the Blevings catch in LF, Wamsley was a vaccum at SS. He dove at a ball hit in the gap between 3rd and SS to knock it down and save a possible run late in the game. Even though he did not get the out that was a huge play. Elliott also made a nice backhand play going toward 2B late in the game to get the out.
Last edited by BULDOG on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Thanks for the update Buldog. It sounds like it was one heck of a game.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

If you are a fan of baseball, this was a very good, fundamental game to watch. Both teams played hard! Roberston from Waverly and Russell from the Burg pitched an outstanding game for both clubs. My hat is off to both teams and coach's for playing baseball the way it is supposed to be played.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

Bama is right that was one of the best coached game I've seen all year. Hit and run, stealing, bunting runners over fun to watch. Wavery is the best team we have faced all year. I'm going to say it again Jordan pitched like a champion He kept everything down and got ground balls all night, his pitch count was 76 in 7 great job. Defense played great Adam is like a sweeper nothing by him, Kyle with a big play in the seventh diving catch and you can't say enough about Daniel nothing by him allnight and Jordon threw in the dirt more than once. Offensively Dustin and Spencer with extra base hits setting up and scoring big runs late. This was a senior win they all played like champions. Looking forward to the next week lots of SOC games to play, we get our first look at Valley Mon. and big game this Fri. against West. Keep playing hard boys.

Return to “Baseball”