alabama mike
SE

Wheelersburg vs. Portsmouth II

Post by alabama mike »

Who: Pirates and Trojans

What: Baseball, southern Ohio style

When: 5 p.m., Thursday, April 24, 2008

Where: Pirate Field

Why: Another w in the win column and a positive step toward the tournament for the winning team.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg vs. Portsmouth II

Post by burggrad82 »

I look for a W also. My guess would be Peanut on the mound. and Dustin Friday.
go Burg...

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

Go Burg!!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Good luck to the Pirates. I'll get to see this one and I hope it's a good ballgame. It looks like the weather should be great on Thursday.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Should be good game at Pirate Stadium.

Rainout the first scheduled meeting. The Pirates won the DH at Zane Trace 12-2 in 5 but the game was 4-2 going into the 3rd inning if I remember correctly. Another good test for the Pirates.

Burg just needs to stay focused, confident, play with emotion and play one game at a time.

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

BEAT THE burg,TROJANS.

Hope that both teams play good games, all come out healthy, and the Trojans prevail.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Burg won 5 to 3. The Trojans led going into the 4th 3 to nothing

burgtown2008
Riding the Bench

Post by burgtown2008 »

If the Trojans finished with 3 runs I doubt that they had 4 in the 4th inning.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

Glad to see we won, hated to miss last night and tonight but had family obligations to take care of. Keep it going, Go Burg!

Who did what for Burg and Portsmouth?

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

As I recall, Portsmouth led 1-0 after one inning. The score was 3-0 by the end of the second inning. Wheelersburg led 5-3 by the end of the third. Both teams settled down to better defense after that.

Tons of errors in the 1st and 2nd innings for Wheelersburg as the 'bug' seemed a bit virulent. I wasn't scoring but I think that Portsmouth had only one hit in the first two innings. Portsmouth had a couple of errors in fielding in the third. Both teams had their share of nice defensive plays too.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I wasnt at the game, I was getting my info from BiggDowgg and he was on his cell phone going thru Mionford after the game. I really couldnt understand everything he said but I post what I could.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Congrats to the Pirates on the hard fought come from behind win. A little sloppy play and some throwing errors in the first couple of innings allowed the Trojans to put three across the plate where and if the plays had been made and the double plays turned they never would have scored. The Trojans returned the favor in the 3rd or 4th inning as some errors of their own allowed the Pirates to plate some runs and take the lead. I think this game will be good for the team and show that they can play from behind and overcome adversity. They have blowing everyone out lately and sometimes that can lead to complacency. Wamsley pitched another great game as usual and the defense made some great plays in the last few innings to get the win.
Last edited by Burg_Grad_77 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

anyone know how many hits Burg had?

I think our freshman pitched a great game against a great team...not many teams holding Burg to 5 runs and only a few hits these days.

if not for all the errors by both teams,,this game would be 0 to 0 or close to it in the late innings.

Portsmouth was on a 5 game winning streak coming into this game, and simply had a bad outing as well.

Portsmouth goes back to league play tommorow at Ironton.

good luck to Burg..they will no doubt be playing long into post season.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Sloppy game by both clubs in a couple innings. A good wake-up call for W'Burg as in any given day you can be beat.

Burg only had 3 hits on the night I believe. Not a good offensive or 1st inning defensive outing for Burg. But we'll take a win any way we can get them. Wamsley pitched well as did the Portsmouth pitcher.

Tonight West comes to Pirate Stadium for their 2nd matchup of the season.

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

This is just a question, and not an accusation: Does anybody else feel like these forums are against baseball's very nature. Baseball has a fun, care-free feel towards it. I think it gets that because of the game's pace and the amount of games that are played in the season. These forums are more appropriate for basketball or football espescially. Not that I think these forums really have any meaning towards winning and losing, just that the intense forums go against the nature of the game. Statements like, one game at a time, not get a big head,and the trash talking are things that imply that every game MUST be a win. It seem to put unnecessary pressure on a team that should just be having fun and playing a great game.. Again, this isnt an accusation, just a question..and it really doesn't matter as long as the players arent reading this all the time, but i was just wondering if anybody thought these forums are better suited for other sports?

08' Pirate
Waterboy

Post by 08' Pirate »

biggdowgg wrote:anyone know how many hits Burg had?

Burg only had 3 hits last night, Wes Lyon, Aaron Hopper, and Andrew Elliot were the only ones who had hits. Burg had an off night at the plate.

volsfan
Freshman Team

Post by volsfan »

backdoor, that is why you play the game is to win it, and it is more fun to win than lose, and players at the Burg know that they are expected to win, nothing wrong with that, they also know if they lose, they better have left everything they had on the field, nothing wrong with that either

what worries me about the post season is the pitching that we will face going into tournament time, I say that every year though

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

backdoor...are you for real. This is high school ball not teeball. By the way tee ball was invented just for the purpose that you suggested,and what is the first question every kid ask at the end of their tee ball game?

Everyone on the forum shout the answer at the same time.....the child will ask, WHO WON.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Tee ball, pitching machine and little league is for kids to play and have fun playing. I'll even go a one step more and say jr. high is for fun to some extent but jv and high school is about winning. When a team wins they have fun.

It is no secret that expectations are high for the Wheelersburg Pirate team. The kids know this already and have worked very hard for years to be in the position they are in at this point in time. Only time will tell if they are able to continue on the path.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

Expectations are high and we accept that and want that. We have high expectations for ourselves as I would think every team should, but it's not that way. We can't help that either and expect that we will beat you down when you step on the field against us in baseball and/or any other sport. Many times, teams playing the Burg are beat before the game because of this mind set.
At Wheelersburg you are expected to work as hard as you possibly can and if you don't somebody else waiting to take that spot will. If you win, that is great and what you set out to do. If you lose, you better have left your heart and soul on that field and tip your hat to winner and make sure you remember that feeling. Losing hurts at Wheelersburg because we go at the way you should.
This hard work and attitude is taught at a very, very young age. Not only in athletics, but academics as well. That's why we have the success we have each year in athletics and academics and always have the bullseye on our backs and consequently, usually have the SOC crown in that respected sport with that bullseye. Wheelersburg is not for the weak, that is for sure. But if you take on that challenge, there is not a better place to be. Go Burg!!!

Return to “Baseball”